Flight Canceled


After a week I’m Omaha I was so ready to get back home to my husband, my cats and my life. Everything went smoothly at first and I was in a great mood, then United Airlines told us the flight to Boston was canceled due to mechanical problems.

From there we stood I’m line for 2.5 hours to get a new flight with American Airlines a couple hours from then. The huge relief I felt I could never properly explain and I went from picturing me stuck in the airport forever to imagining me hugging my cats again.

Then my dad said the most awful words I could here at that moment “this flight is canceled too” and at first I didn’t believe him. Then out of aggravation he yelled “the FLIGHT is cancelled” and my heart dropped, I knew right then I wasn’t sleeping in my bed that night. We tried to find someone at American Airlines to help us but of course, there wasn’t. We headed to the checkin location to see another huge line and oddly no seats. My dad was pissed off and must have through a fit or something because he got someone to help us.

We then decided that the only way to get home was to drive, which was nearly the last thing I wanted to do but with the weather we realized we would probably not get home anytime soon if we didn’t. My mom thought the drive from Chicago to Boston was about 10 hours but it turns out it was more like 15 hours. At that point I just wanted to curl up in a ball and cry.

We took a shuttle to the car rental place only to end up in another line but eventually we got a car (a fancy Chrystler actually) and started the drive back to Massachusetts. The first night we only made 3 hours and decided to get a hotel room for a few hours of sleep. I don’t know when the last time I shared a room with my parents but it was a very long time ago I’m sure. Luckily we all just passed out and the moment we got up we were on the road again.

To say the drive was painful would be a vast understatement. At this point we were all on each others’ nerves and couldn’t get home fast enough. Every time my mom would say something my dad would reply with “what?” or “I didn’t hear what you said.” Either my mom would then reply with yelling what she previously said or I’d run interference and translate for them. Every once and a while we actually chatted, mostly me and my mom but for most of the drive it was in silence.

Did I mention my phone was dead at this point and I’d left my charger in the bag that was still on the plane? I tried to nap as much as I could in the back since I have a bad back and if I’d sat up the whole time I’d be in a world of pain right now. Because I had no other clothes I bought myself  an Ohio hoodie and a neck pillow, just to survive the rest of the day.

I think I finally got home sometime around 9pm that night, it only took us 36 hours to get home from Chicago and I will never forget how awful it was. Before I left my parents I told my dad that my Father’s Day gift to him was that I didn’t kill him on the drive home. I think that might be the best gift I’ve ever given him.

Leave a Reply