Think Before You Rant

be-polite go-fuck-yourself

I think a lot of us, some in particular (I don’t want to link the original article but this is a good one about that article), forget that when we put our thoughts on the internet it could piss off some and hurt others. Do we care anymore? Does it matter that the letters we type into a blog can affect people? Has the internet made us completely apathetic towards the world around us?

You see, it’s normal as a human being to not always have nice/politically correct thoughts. You can’t blame someone for thinking something bad, trust me I think bad things all the time. The way we are to survive as a society is to not share every shitty thought that crosses our mind.

I’ll go even one step further, maybe once and a while when these hateful thoughts cross our minds maybe we can try to address it. Instead of us trying to become better people our society has turned into hate spewing internet trying to hurt each other. One person writes a hateful post then someone comments with more hate and it keeps spreading.

Just maybe, before we say whatever is on our mind we can stop and think about whether what we are going to say can be put in a better way or just, you know, not say it at all. Do we really need to tell fat, gay or anyone else that they disgust us or disapprove? What is the need?

Anyway, that’s how I feel about the recent article. Do I think it was offensive? Of course I do and not because I was one of her targeted rants but because it was cruel to people who the last thing they need is just that. If you think people need to lose weight that’s fine, you don’t have to tell them their beautiful but you also don’t have to try to bring them down. What good is that going to do?

Kumbaya anyone? Anyone?

1. Amanda

October 27, 2010 at 8:54 am

I guess Marie Clare is getting the publicity they want, because I can’t imagine they didn’t think that article was going to cause a shitstorm. It’s just a shame they had to hurt and offend so many people to get attention.

October 27, 2010 at 9:05 am

@Amanda, it’s really sad that a lot of sites I think are doing these kinds of things just for publicity. I can only imagine what direction this is taking our society.

2. Melia

October 27, 2010 at 10:08 am

Amen. High five. Like times eleventybillion and 40 pounds of Awesomesauce.

October 27, 2010 at 11:50 am

@Melia, awww thanks *blush*

3. Chibi Jeebs

October 27, 2010 at 11:48 am

“Just maybe, before we say whatever is on our mind we can stop and think about whether what we are going to say can be put in a better way or just, you know, not say it at all.”

I try to do this with everything I say and post. I know there are some people out there who would accuse me of being “too PC,” but I’d rather err on the side of caution and NOT unintentionally offend/hurt someone than just shoot my damned mouth off because I’m too lazy to think first.

October 27, 2010 at 11:52 am

@Chibi Jeebs, I try (it doesn’t always work) wait like 24 hours before I go off on something online if I’m really worked up about it or if I think it might cross a line. Nobody waits anymore, everyone just steps up to the plate and just spews everything. Nobody cares to try to not hurt others.

4. Chibi Jeebs

October 27, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Yeaaaaah, I failed in waiting very long to cool off before shooting off my mouth – couldn’t help it. :-s

October 27, 2010 at 3:45 pm

@Chibi Jeebs, yeah happens to me all the time, sometimes it just takes a hold of you and you lose the control.

October 27, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I think it’s just a publicity stunt and the positive thing I took from it is that if that stupid cunt can be a published author, any of us can be.

6. Trina

October 29, 2010 at 10:58 am

*applause!*
    Right said, Fred! Er, Robin 🙂
    It’s amazing how ignorant the internet makes us feel sometimes. Like, we can throw poop into it and perhaps no one will notice but when you write something like that for a popular site, I think that’s when you should be a bit more courteous. It’s like that saying goes, “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”.

7. Shellimil

October 29, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I think the whole thing was just unbelievable and shame on MarieClaire for the whole thing, which I think was also a big publicity stunt.

I think it’s the same with road rage…people feel some safety inside a bubble or behind a computer keyboard. They don’t feel as accountable for their words or actions or something.

October 29, 2010 at 9:33 pm

If it was a publicity stunt I hope karma kicks her right in the ass. I couldn’t agree more about road rage, I wish so much sometimes that I could tell people off who nearly run me off the road.

8. mepsipax

October 29, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Yes…but you can say whatever you want…in public or on the webz (with some exceptions). Everyone has a choice of what they read or listen to. And, when you argue with an idiot on the interwebz….well, it isn’t exactly smart. Don’t like it? Move on.

October 29, 2010 at 9:32 pm

True, both things I know well and rarely follow.