My Mission in Life

tvshows

I love television. I’ve always loved television. I think there is something about a tv show and how you get to go along on this journey, for several years, with characters that you grow to love. It’s like they sort of become your friends, like you went through what they went through along with them.

I don’t always watch quality tv but when I really get into a show it has to move me in many different ways. The show has to have characters I grow to love and it has to bring out a strong emotion in me. If it’s a comedy show, I want to laugh, out loud. If it’s a drama I want to get chills or get mad or cry. I want to feel what they are feeling, I want to forget they are actors and get into the story. I think it’s a part of my Pisces escapism, I like to escape into my shows.

I get really excited to get the people I care about to watch the shows that I know is something amazing. It’s part just me wanting to share something I like and part me just not wanting them to miss out on a great show. I don’t recommend every show to every friend, I know some of my friends just won’t get into something like Skins.

Whether it’s silly or not (I’m pretty sure it’s kind of silly) my feelings get hurt when I feel friends of mine brush me off when I suggest a show. So often when a friend suggests a show for me to watch I’ll consider it and usually give it a try. Right now I’m trying out Veronica Mars and kind of liking it I think. I also have Dr. Who in my queue (Netflix that is), which I’m skeptical about but I’m all up for trying something new.

I don’t mean to say everyone has to watch everything I ever suggest but just maybe some people could give back just a little bit of what they get. Maybe once and a while the street could go both ways, I’m just sayin. Some of the best movies and shows I’ve seen were recommended to me by a friend and I think if I just shrugged them off, I never would have seen it.

How are any friendships supposed to work if we don’t share with each other and give a shit about what the other one gives a shit about? It’s a give and take. It’s being involved. It’s once and a while saying “yeah, I think I will give that a gry, thanks!”

1. Alissa

August 30, 2010 at 9:45 am

I love TV. I probably love it more than I should because I use it to escape my life. Heh.

I want to check out Skins so bad…do they have it on Netflix, do you know?

I want to watch a lot of shows that are on Showtime/Cinemax/HBO, but don’t get those channels. I want to catch up on Modern Family and check out Weeds too…oh and True Blood!

August 30, 2010 at 9:54 am

@Alissa, The first 2 seasons of Skins you can watch instantly on Netflix. Season 3 you can rent via Netflix.

2. Amanda

August 30, 2010 at 10:51 am

We’re very slowly working through breaking bad, but we don’t have a ton of time to watch it. If I were watching it on my own, I’d be done by now. But Mike wants to watch it, and he’s slowing me down.

And hang on with Veronica, it starts a little slow but it gets really good quickly.

August 30, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Veronica Mars hooked me from the first episode. It is one of the best shows that ever graced the airwaves.

I usually make my own decisions about shows, based on reviews and clips I’ve seen, but if someone I trust recommends something to me, I’ll eventually get around to it.

It took me almost three years of being pushed before I finally tried Dexter and I’m loving it.

4. Shelli

August 30, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Now this isn’t about me not being able to watch Breaking Bad, is it? 😉

I totally feel that way about Friday Night Lights. I wish people would see past the “football” premise because it is about so much more than that and it’s so well written and portrayed. It’s really worth watching.

I wish that I could watch some of the things that the “cool” people are watching…either I don’t have the premium channels or I can’t find them on TV. Also, I can’t start a series in the middle. I am really anal about starting to watch a series from day one. I suppose that I could get them on Netflix like you do.

August 30, 2010 at 9:13 pm

@Shelli, lol no it wasn’t about you, this is more of a general statement of my life. A petty little thing I care about but shouldn’t care about. I too am anal about starting a show at the beginning, No worries. I’ve considered trying Friday Night Lights, it’s on the list somewhere.