Manly Fur

re0054

For as long as I can remember I’ve been against facial hair on men (on women I am definitely against it) but over time my feelings have changed.

Growing up I think I hated facial hair mostly because my dad has had a beard since before I was born and refuses to shave it. I begged him for my high school graduation to shave it, he said no. I asked if he’d do it for my wedding, he said no. He has a serious attachment to that beard.

There is also that I have a tendency to love young men. I don’t mean like young young men, I just mean men who have kind of a baby face. Did I mention I hate body hair on men? I mean on the normal places like legs and arms is fine but I don’t want it on the chest or back. I like a smooth, non-waxed, look.

The first time I started to see the other side was when I dated a more masculine looking guy and he had a goatee. I asked him once to shave it off for me and because I am that good, he did. I immediately regretted it, he looked like he was 5 years old. I insisted he grow it right back, like immediately. Granted, now I want nothing to do with goatees, I just think they look kind of douchey.

Then I met Manly Man. A guy with lovely dark hair, warm brown eyes, no facial hair and the chest hair of a 12 year old. I don’t remember how it happened but he grew a beard, I think I was curious. I was blown away, he looked gorgeous. He has a very young face but his beard gave his face definition. Since then I won’t let him shave it completely off, even for our wedding he had it.

And that’s how I became a beard girl.

1. Alissa

July 26, 2010 at 8:59 am

Chest hair is okay with me…I don’t want to feel like I’m with a 10 year old. Back hair is gross.

July 26, 2010 at 11:02 am

@Alissa, well he has a few chest hairs but not many for a 42 year old at least.

2. bubblewench

July 26, 2010 at 9:11 am

I have always been a lover of ‘man-hair’. Not the overly gross ape hair kind, but I love moustaches, beards a good carpet on the chest. But I married a man with very little man-hair (cept where it matters heh), and the abiltity to grow a very slight goatee. We all change our views for what (who) we love.

July 26, 2010 at 11:03 am

@bubblewench, a mustache is something I could never do. to me guys always look like perverts or something with it. i can probably blame movies for that.

3. Amanda

July 26, 2010 at 10:59 am

I love a beard! It’s so sexy and manly. However, I only like a good full beard. I don’t like goatees or mustaches. Something about them just says old man to me.

I like a hairy chest, I don’t want to feel like I’m with a pre-pubescent. Hairy backs are kind of gross, but I guess it happens. I mean, if I really liked a guy it wouldn’t be a total deal killer

July 26, 2010 at 11:04 am

@Amanda, he has a few chest hairs but not many for his age. it’s weird but i swear he has less armpit hair than I do. mustaches are a flat out no in my book.

4. Pauline

July 26, 2010 at 11:26 am

“Growing up I think I hated facial hair mostly because my dad has had a beard since before I was born and refuses to shave it.”

Me too! My dad had a beard and long hair in the 70-80s and then a mustache in the 90s, so I was never fond of guys with facial hair. But my husband has recently started sporting a mustache and small, neatly trimmed goatee and I’ve gotten used to it and actually like it!

I think as long as they don’t look like ZZ Top, then facial hair is o.k.:)

July 27, 2010 at 9:31 am

@Pauline, it’s weird to never know what your own father’s face looks like other than by pictures of him when he was young.

5. Maureen

July 26, 2010 at 12:07 pm

An older sister of mine had a cutesy sign hanging up in her house – it said “Kissing a man without a mustache is like eating an egg without salt”.

She has gone on to divorce her always-mustached now-ex-husband, so I’m guessing the sign doesn’t exist anymore…

I’m not a fan of noticeable back hair or of too much chest hair. And, luckily, Jim has neither. But, he does sometimes wear a mustache & beard. Other times, he doesn’t. It’s always a nice surprise when he changes from one look to another.

July 27, 2010 at 9:32 am

@Maureen, it’s kind of sad now that when Manly Man shaves is beard off he doesn’t look right.

July 29, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I do seem to remember you telling me how you didn’t like beards way back a few years ago. It’s funny how that changes!