So I’m a Cat Lady

tumblr_l24tuchkv21qzlhgno1_500

I keep hearing them talk on the radio about the Cats Not Kids bumper sticker (not on my car, on someone else’s but I did have it on my car before) and I don’t understand why this has been turned into such a negative thing. Yes, I adore my cats. Yes, I hug them and kiss them on the head several times a day. Yes, I talk to them. Yes, they are a part of our family. What’s so wrong with that?

It seems to me, to some people who choose to have children, that choosing to have pets instead means there is something wrong with you or maybe that it’s some sort of affront to them. Even if I had children I’d still adore my cats just as much as I do today because that is just who I am. My cats are not just pets or accessories or part of the furniture, they are family members.

What I find hard to understand is people who choose to have a cat or dog and then ignore them or get annoyed that they aren’t more like stuffed animals that just sit there and look pretty. Cats and dogs need attention just like humans do. Cats and dogs need love, not just food and water.

Also, you should know, just because I have more than 1 cat, and adore them, does not mean I’m crazy. It also doesn’t mean we never leave our house or that our house smells. In fact, I’ve found most houses that have dogs or children tend to smell more, the only thing about cats that smell is their litter box and if you keep that clean it’s fine.

There is a big difference between people who have a few cats and consider them a part of the family and people who have like 27+ cats. A BIG difference.

But why is it so upsetting to people that I treat my cats as my children? What’s the big deal?

1. bubblewench

June 28, 2010 at 10:10 am

I will never understand that either. But I will keep loving my furkids and featherkids like family.

June 28, 2010 at 10:13 am

@bubblewench: You and me both.

2. Alissa

June 28, 2010 at 11:09 am

I love my furbabies…and I don’t really get the people who are “offended” by “cats not kids”. I think there’s still this whole stigma about women because they are just BORN to make children. Plus, have you ever noticed that if you say, “I don’t really think I want kids.” how many weird looks you get? Yeah, that’s why there are psycho women out there that will rip fetuses out of pregnant women to have a baby. Because society puts so much importance on women having babies. I think having babies is the newest status symbol – like “I can have 5 kids AND I can afford it” (or it’s God’s will). bull shit.

June 29, 2010 at 7:56 am

@Alissa: It’s a crazy world, fo sho.

3. Liz Hill

June 28, 2010 at 12:41 pm

YAY big font;-)

I’m glad there are other people who understand how it feels to love the furry ones. There’s a weird thing about the folks with kids–it’s like they are freaked out because someone ‘escaped from the herd’ when you tell them you don’t want or have kids’.

Why can’t they just accept it?

June 29, 2010 at 7:57 am

@Liz Hill: it’s a nice little group we have i think. i think some people just can’t understand people choosing a different way of life.

4. Pauline

June 28, 2010 at 1:00 pm

People are threatened by difference. Different appearance, different clothes, different ideas on family, etc. It’s really sad and such a waste of time.

5. Miss Britt

June 28, 2010 at 6:40 pm

I’m going to suggest a different reasoning.

Maybe what’s offensive is the “not kids” or the idea that one is “better” or another “wrong”.

To be clear, a bumper sticker like that wouldn’t offend me because I would get that it was a declaration of that person’s personal preference – but I don’t think anyone is pissed about what YOU do. I think people get offended when they think you’re talking about what THEY do, in one way or another.

June 29, 2010 at 7:59 am

@Miss Britt: I don’t mean to say I think anyone is pissed, it’s because of the tone of a radio station who were implying that anyone with that bumper sticker must be a crazy cat person. Obviously I can appreciate kids since I’m vearing towards a career where I spend a lot of time taking pictures of them. I get what you mean though and I appreciate another side to this topic. That’s the thing with bumper stickers, someone will always take it a different way.

6. Jennifer

June 28, 2010 at 8:35 pm

If they did….so do you?? Ick. Screw ’em. Cats and pups rule:)

7. Stacey

June 28, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I recently bought my cats a kitty habitat thingy (it looks like a carpet-covered dog house on scratching post stilts). The receptionist said that when it was delivered, the package guy made some comment about the “crazy cat lady” that must have ordered it. Yes, my cats are spoiled, but people don’t have to make me feel like crap about it.

June 29, 2010 at 8:10 am

@Stacey: If you have less than 10 cats I think you are not in the crazy cat lady land yet.