Fuck This

fckitall

Our show last night on Off Topic actually stayed pretty much on topic for the first time. I mean, not completely on topic the entire time but if we did that we wouldn’t be Off Topic now would we? Last night we talked about Swearing but in reality it may have been more about censorship and a dash of serial killers (ps more on that later).

I thought of this subject due to the recent hissy fits Americans are having over the vice president saying the word fuck. Mind you he did not openly say this to the cameras, it was a side thing. He was also not saying it in a derogatory way or trying to be offensive. It was just a moment between him and the president.

What annoys me the most about people being all uppity about swearing is those who make it such a big deal are the ones putting the most stock in these words. Yes, they are in fact just words. They only mean as much as you want them to mean. Is every word out of my mouth a swear? No, but most of the time I don’t hold back unless you know I’m at a nice restaurant or at work.

I wouldn’t even say I have a “potty mouth” or anything. You won’t see me babbling on about sexual escapades or penis size or anything. I just don’t see the big deal about the words fuck or shit or cock. In general, I just think people need to chill the fuck out. I believe everyone swears, even if it’s just when they are alone in their car.

ps. We swore a lot less than usual this episode, go figure.

pss. Here is the review of the movie I mentioned in the show.

psss. Next show, in 2 weeks, will be about serial killers.

Download Podcast

1. Grant

March 29, 2010 at 9:03 am

From my point of view, it seems less that the public is throwing a fit over his swearing and more that the media is trying to generate a fury over nothing because nothing else is happening in the world (we must have solved Haiti in the interim).

March 29, 2010 at 9:04 am

@Grant: Well that’s good news at least.

2. Miss Britt

March 29, 2010 at 11:04 am

I’m not sure what it says about me – but I thought it was endearing. Like, hey, that’s something *I* would have said in that situation!

March 30, 2010 at 10:56 am

@Miss Britt: Yeah I think it made them both a little more human.

3. christie

March 30, 2010 at 9:02 am

yeah, I didn’t think it was a big deal.

But- on the other hand, it was a live broadcast, during the day…. but I lean more to the “oh who gives a fuck!?” side lol

March 30, 2010 at 10:57 am

@christie: yeah but they are both human, shit happens. it’s not like they killed anyone or mooned the audience.

4. Pauline

March 30, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I think as long as you don’t curse in front of children and it doesn’t pepper most of your conversation (Unless you’re pissed off about something) then swearing really isn’t a big deal!

March 30, 2010 at 2:15 pm

@Pauline: well i certainly don’t go out of my way to curse in front of children but if i’m in a store in public, it’s possible.

5. subWOW

April 3, 2010 at 10:29 pm

How about not really saying the word out loud but totally implying it? In my view that counts as swearing because the intention is right there and let’s be real, everybody knows what you are saying even when you just say WHAT THE?!….

And if that is the case, just go into any grade school, 99% of the kids use such language. WHAT THE…!

Srly.