The Diva Title

divaheels

What does being a diva mean these days? Everyone seems to be using the term, sort of like how the term bitch became popular many years back. No sorry girl, you are not a bitch, you are a moron actually.

So what does diva really mean? Initially it meant you were a distinguished female singer. What I take is it now also means you are special and you want to be spoiled. You feel you somehow deserve more than the average person, as Wikipedia states, it is also related to being a “prima donna”. It also seems to me, correct me if I’m wrong, it seems a diva is a lot of fucking work.

I am not a diva, I’ve never been a diva. I’ve been spoiled here and there in my life but I’ve never expected anything or demanded anything. I’ve never bought a Coach bag and I’ve never even been in a store that sells the kinds of shoes that Carrie Bradshaw famously wears.

I think someone like me needs my own term but maybe not having to have a name is kind of the point.

1. Alissa

March 3, 2010 at 9:27 am

I’m not a diva, but I know I can be a bit of a prima donna. I really just consider myself a “girlie girl” but a smart one. I don’t know. I don’t like being labeled.

March 3, 2010 at 9:42 am

@Alissa, well we can all be a little bit of a prima donna or a girly girl…I was more referencing people who refer to themselves as Divas and the connotation behind it.

2. Grant

March 3, 2010 at 9:36 am

I suggest Flurkerist as the new term defining who you are.

March 3, 2010 at 9:43 am

@Grant, ok, you would know best.

3. Jennifer Lynn

March 3, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Everyone I have ever met who proclaimed themselves as a ‘DIVA’……suffice to say: not on the stalking list.

PS: What’s up with that expression “suffice to say or suffice it to say or it suffices to say”…..meh.

March 4, 2010 at 8:36 am

@Jennifer Lynn, I don’t know, maybe that’s for another post 😉

4. Not Your Mom

March 3, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I have never been spoiled probably because I am not petite and speaking my mind does not encourage spoiling by the male species. I do own luxury items that I purchased with money that I made. Not lavish presents from anybody.

Would you want people to be able to “label” you as soon as they lay eyes on you? Diva. Valley Girl. Gym Rat. If any, I’d like to be known and recognized as Woman of Her Own Heart. 🙂

*(I’ve decided not to identify myself in the bloggy world first of all as a mom… Hence the change of (fake) name…)

March 4, 2010 at 8:39 am

@Not Your Mom, exactly my point really, I am so turned off by labels like that.