Oh Snap, Jinger

Jinger

So I caught a little bit of the Duggars show on tv last night because I really am not annoyed by television enough most of the time. Every single time I watch this I can’t help but think, I know these kids are nicely brainwashed and all but one of them has to eventually start to think for themselves. I mean, it’s part of growing up, right?

I remember one time when I caught the show a while ago, sometimes there is nothing on and you get sucked into the insanity, and the daughter Jinger stood out to me. I remember that she didn’t seem to feel the need to have a truck load of kids like her parents and seemed to be kind of the black sheep of the family. I read online somewhere that when she admitted on screen not wanting to have kids for Jesus her family took her aside to talk to her and then when she was back on screen she was all about the family circus concept.

I don’t know how much of this is just online fodder, I mean there are so many sites called “Free Jinger” and I wonder how worried her family is about this or if with all their kids to tend to they really don’t notice. I always figure that with nearly 20 kids there is an even higher chance than most families that at least one child will break free of the heard and probably a good handful of them are gay, which I can only imagine wouldn’t work into the Duggar’s plan.

I was going to mention the Twitter account I found of hers until I really read it and I realized it was a fake. Damn fake twitters fool me everytime! Except Kevin Spacey, I knew all along he was real. Given that these kids are all sheltered from internet, tv and wearing jeans it isn’t surprising she doesn’t have a Twitter but that would be pretty awesome.

So now I will just sit back and wait for the shit to hit the Duggar family and Jinger gets either knocked up or starts her own reality show. It’s only a matter of time.

1. Gwen

February 8, 2010 at 8:57 am

The whole concept of that show makes me sick. I have a deep loathing for all things Duggar. I really hope that this kid has a mind of her own and the strength to keep it.

February 9, 2010 at 8:03 am

@Gwen, I really do too and I hope she isn’t the only one.

2. Alissa

February 8, 2010 at 9:45 am

You know, I was anti-Duggar for a really long time. I started watching their show out of curiosity. I definitely don’t agree with their lifestyle – but at the same time, they really seem to genuinely nice people with nice kids and they only want the best for them. Hey, I mean, it’s not like the Octo-mom circus. Those kids aren’t going to grow up in a stable household like the Duggars.

I do think they are sheltered with not being able to watch TV and sorts…and if one wants out of there – they’ll go. It would be cool if Jinger had twitter though. For sure.

February 9, 2010 at 8:05 am

@Alissa, I’m not saying their horrible evil people, although in some ways they kind of are, I just find it sad to see a young woman with so much potential and a mind of her own being kept down. Being told all she can be is a mother and a wife. It’s hard enough to be a teenager with all those hormones but then to be sheltered like that is just cruel.

3. Barb

February 8, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Oh, ick. Is that the 19 (was 18) Kids and Counting show? I only ever see the commercials while watching Cake Boss. I’m telling you: vaginas are not clown cars.

But yeah, with that many kids, someone’s bound to rebel and have a mind of their own. I mean, how hypocritical is it of the parents to now allow their kids to watch TV, and yet they’re on TV? How do they explain that?

February 9, 2010 at 8:07 am

@Barb, I really don’t know, they just have to hope and pray their kids don’t have minds of their own.

4. Shelli

February 8, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Wouldn’t it be awesome if she had a show called My Life After Leaving the Fucked Up Duggar Breeders. Did you see now that the mom has been told she may die if she has another baby? She almost died with the latest one. Do you think that’s enough to make the pervert leave her the hell alone?

February 9, 2010 at 8:07 am

@Shelli, Now I would watch that show.

February 9, 2010 at 8:08 am

@Shelli, I would watch that show.

5. Kelly @ The Startup Wife

February 9, 2010 at 3:00 am

I have to say, I’d rebel against parents who named me Jinger too. Every time I see it I want to pronounce it as rhyming with “ringer.”

February 9, 2010 at 8:08 am

@Kelly @ The Startup Wife, Hell I rebelled against having to wear glasses…I can’t imagine if my name was Jinger and I couldn’t wear pants.

6. Crystal

February 9, 2010 at 8:43 am

The show is a train wreck, and I’m thrilled to see that the parents are starting to catch shit for their constant breeding (I think that it’s the latest People mag that brings it up). As loving and as wholesome as the household is, I can’t help but think that they (the parent and the older children) are exploiting the younger children in a horribly Jon&Kate sort of way.

Plus, these kids don’t have really any concept of what “normal” family dynamics are, since as soon as the younger girls are old enough they seem to be taught that their place is in the kitchen, taking care of whatever kids are younger than they are, and learning how to be a proper Jesus-breeder. I’d really like to see what would happen if the kids were given a sort of rumspringa-like break from the family.

February 9, 2010 at 12:26 pm

@Crystal, if any of them actually get out into the real world it may be too much for them to handle but I hope not, I hope they can get out on their own someday and live their life how it works for them.

7. Alissa

February 9, 2010 at 8:54 am

Oh, I know you’re not! I agree they are kind of cult like and not allowing “freedom of knowledge” for their kids. It sucks not being able to think for yourself. Especially since they aren’t allowed to know any other way.

I guess my point is, is that I’m an atheist, and I get mad at the people who don’t practice what they preach. I think I just admired them that they say they are Christian, and they really, truly seem to live out their beliefs (no matter how screwed up they seem).

February 9, 2010 at 9:00 am

@Alissa, Oh I’ll give you that, they are damn serious about their way of life, probably to a fault. Many people who follow religion only do so for what suits them. I’m actually agnostic.

8. Barb

February 9, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Heh, yeah — and hope they’re prayers are answered. Hypocrites.