The Creepiness of Santa

Santa-CreepyI know I’m a little left out Jewish girl but I have never understood the whole Santa picture thing, never. I mean there is this chubby middle aged guy in a red suit and white beard who you put your child on his lap to take a picture. How does this not scream creepy to anyone??

With how paranoid parents are these days about pedophiles why would anyone want to put their child on a stranger’s lap for a picture? If the guy didn’t have on a Santa costume would you do it?

It’s things like these that I’m glad I was raised Jewish because there isn’t one picture of me with Santa where I’m crying my eyes out or simply horrified. I don’t have to look back and wonder who or what was lurking under that red suit.

Now that I’ve thrown this out there, what else can I sabotage about the holidays?

1. Grant

December 14, 2009 at 9:39 am

As long as the Catholics keep putting up images of their lord nailed to two pieces of wood (by your people, I should point out), Santa Claus will never bother me. It’s like finding Dark Knight disturbing after watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

2. Hannah

December 14, 2009 at 10:05 am

Maybe because I’m part Scandinavian, but I’ve never found Santa Claus disturbing. The clowns that people hire for their kid’s birthday party are MUCH scarier!

December 14, 2009 at 10:40 am

@Hannah, yeah but clowns aren’t a tradition, I never had a clown at a party, good thing, they ARE creepy.

3. Gwen

December 14, 2009 at 10:35 am

Two things. First, I was never in to the whole Santa thing and I decided a long time ago that if hell ever froze over and I ended up with a kid I would in no way perpetuate the whole Santa-bullshit (which my family told me was “horrible and cruel”. confused? Me too.). Second, that being said, check out Simon Pegg’s new Avatar on Twitter. THAT Santa can come deliver my presents anytime. 😉
    :gwen:

December 14, 2009 at 10:41 am

@Gwen, Totally agree, on both counts.

4. Maureen

December 14, 2009 at 10:38 am

I was gonna say what Hannah said… How do you feel about clowns?

December 14, 2009 at 10:41 am

@Maureen, clowns are just as creepy, although they are not considered tradition, at least not in my world.

5. Maureen

December 14, 2009 at 10:42 am

We did our usual photo w/Santa on Saturday. We go see him at the zoo every year. While waiting in line to get our printed photo ornament, we got to overhear the next few kids in line talking to him. A most adorable 4yo boy, when asked “What do you want for Christmas?” started out with a gift idea or two, but then got serious – “Really, I don’t care what presents I get. What’s really important is, you know how when it’s 5 minutes to 7? Right? Well, I want it to be 6” Or some kind of rambling goofiness like that. Santa did great, nodding & agreeing with him.

I wonder what that was all about…

6. Barb

December 14, 2009 at 12:37 pm

I *ahem* brought my cat Hopper to have her picture taken with Santa when I was a first-time cat parent. Never did that again.

7. Grant

December 14, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Since I don’t have your e-mail addy, you don’t get this for xmas. Now aren’t you sorry you haven’t converted to xtianity?

8. submom

December 15, 2009 at 12:06 am

THAT Santa is very creepy indeed. And oh yes, I do wonder about the whole Pedophile thing. How easy would it be??!! Yew.

9. submom

December 15, 2009 at 12:07 am

Robin, don’t forget: Jesus was YOUR people. And don’t let Grant forget.

December 15, 2009 at 8:11 am

@submom, Jesus and I go way back, we went to private school together.