Paranormal Activity

pa.jpg

The Basics: Paranormal Activity is a Blair Witch-esk type movie about a couple who decide to investigate (via videotape) to see if there is paranormal activity in their house. Some of the movie is just them, being a couple, but the real stuff is the taping while they are asleep.

The Good: I don’t know if it’s a matter of suspending belief long enough to feel you are really watching actual videotape of real people or if some people just scare differently than other people but this scared me. I didn’t screem but I did flinch a couple times. I sat frozen many times waiting for the next thing to happen. When I came home I was freaked out enough to try to sleep with the lights on and stay very far away from the edge of the bed. I was actually relatively ok until Manly Man decided to bring up scenes from the movie and then it was all I could think about.

The Bad: A couple parts of it (I refuse to spoil anything) were a little far fetched and I think it would have done better had they not done it. I’ll just say, for those who have seen it, the baby powder part. I think this movie would have been scarier with the “less is more” concept. Also, even though Manly Man denies it, I could tell by body language he was bored through most of it. So, you know, it depends on the person.

Rating: ★★★☆☆

1. Barb

November 3, 2009 at 10:28 am

Once I found out this was like Blair Witch in a different setting, I was immediately turned off. Blair Witched scared me big time, but I saw it on opening day and didn’t know the story behind it. I will say that basements still creep me out.

For some reason, I’m tempted to set up a video camera in our room to see what sort of feline activity goes on while we’re asleep. :lmao:

2. Grant

November 3, 2009 at 11:36 am

Go see The Hurt Locker.

3. B

November 3, 2009 at 12:15 pm

It seems like most people out there in Blogging Land saw this around the same time! I still haven’t seen it and want to!

4. submom

November 3, 2009 at 3:14 pm

So… is life a movie or not after you watched this movie? How did it affect your thesis statement? :whistle: I cannot watch scary movies. Growing up there was no ratings, so kids were allowed to watch whatever (and parents mostly ONLY banned SEX and not the other disturbing stuff). Japanese scary movies are the most terrifying. Most haunting. Even now, when I stay in a hotel room, all I can think about are scenes from the movies I saw as a child. Yikes. That’s why I usually stay up watching Law & Order and fall asleep until I’m absolutely exhausted. Too scared to fall asleep naturally.

5. Hannah

November 5, 2009 at 10:01 am

I like these kind of creepy, ghost movies, so I think I’ll go and check it out.

Another good horror movie is “Trick r Treat”. Good lighthearted fun.:)

6. misty

November 8, 2009 at 9:03 pm

I hate that it took me so many days to make it here.

ok… YES. I totally agree with everything you said. And the baby powder part really annoyed me. I mean, the things that “occurred” proved that this “demon” with webbed feet, didn’t need to step through anything. Stupid…