Today

I’m not sure I’ve ever talked about 9/11 on my site, I’ve rarely talked about it at all. It’s not that I don’t care, I just feel so removed from the situation that if I talk about it I am somehow doing it a disservice. On that day I was working at an office that was government related. When it happened I was not even in my office but covering for someone else at another office.

I started getting calls from women wondering where their husband’s were who had taken a flight that day. I had no idea and suddenly realized something very bad had happened. I felt so bad I couldn’t help, I was a temp and I was alone. I was then told to head back to my desk and on my way back I saw a glimpse of what was happening on the television that was in the hallway.

When I got back to my desk I was told to go home, everyone was to evacuate. On my drive home my mother called me to check to make sure I was ok, I was fine.

Most people that day watched their televisions to see the tragedy unfold but for some reason I couldn’t, I briefly watched but quickly turned the channel. I’ve always hated watching other people’s misfortune and tragedy. When I drive by a car accident I keep my eyes on the road, I feel it’s the best thing I can do for those suffering. I give them space, it has nothing to do with me.

I never watched what happened, I know what happened and I’ve seen some pictures but because I stayed away I feel very far removed. My heart does however ache for those who were involved with 9/11, just thinking about the pain involved is too much to even comprehend.

I also want to congratulate my parents on their 40th wedding anniversary today. I know today is about mourning those that were lost and those who lost but I feel today is also a reminder of what we have in this very moment. Today I am just thankful for my husband, my furry children, my family and friends. I am thankful for my job, my health and being lucky enough to have today.

1. Grant

September 11, 2009 at 10:29 am

I had a different 9/11 experience. When it started, our contracting company sent word to all supervisors to have all radios and TVs shut down so the attack wouldn’t interrupt work. Then when word got out, they told everyone to stay at their desk even if the people we worked for left. Then they relented and said we could go home if the federal government evacuated the building. The next day they told us we could help to defeat terrorism if we all worked extra hard for no additional pay. A week later they got it right and sent everyone an insincere note expressing their sorrow (our company lost employees in the attack), but by that point nobody believed them anymore.

September 11, 2009 at 2:49 pm

@Grant, that is awful, i’m sorry.

2. Barb

September 11, 2009 at 2:42 pm

I actually still worked back then. I was at home grading appears and/or lesson planning, and found out on the Internet. Or maybe Brian called me; I don’t remember. I just remember the horror of that day and the days that followed. But like you, I feel pretty removed from it.

I didn’t know anyone directly affected by it, I don’t live anywhere near the East Coast so life in my part of the world seemed “normal” except for what was on TV. It doesn’t mean I don’t feel sorrow, but…I don’t know. I guess that’s why I didn’t write about it today.

On a happier note, happy anniversary to your parents!

September 11, 2009 at 2:50 pm

@Barb, You know what’s weird? I live on the East Coast and the Oklahoma City bombing affected me more. I think pretty much because A. I have family in Oklahoma B. I was in Tulsa when it happened and C. my cousin was working in Oklahoma City. it all is still painful to think about it, anything that tragic.

3. Tug

September 11, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Happy anniversary to your parents!!

I was getting ready for work and actually saw the 2nd tower hit on the news…I was in shock, but remember thinking immediately “we’re at war, this is real, we’re going to war”. I went on in to work in Phoenix, we were under the flight pattern for the airport and I remember the dead.silence. No planes. I drove home to get my TV & take into work, & my normal 45 minute to hour 1/2 commute took 20 minutes – there was no one on the roads. Have you heard of tent city in Phoenix? Sheriff Joe has tents set up – guys in jail wear the stripes, work chain gangs, etc…he keeps an old hotel sign up with ‘vacancy’ & ‘no vacancy’ lit up…I worked a block away. Tent city was full, but the day of the attacks the sign read ‘vacancy’, meaning he’d take anyone in that came against us. It was all just surreal.

September 12, 2009 at 11:32 am

@Tug, that is very surreal.

4. La Belle Mere

September 12, 2009 at 5:53 am

Hey. Happy Anniversary to your parents.

I was in the office when it happened and I remember watching it all on the internet. I had a big picture of the New York skyline on the wall in my flat with the twin towers prominent in the centre of the image. When I got home that night I just kept looking from the TV to the photo and then back to the TV again. I couldn’t believe it.

LBM x

September 12, 2009 at 11:34 am

@La Belle Mere, I think it’s still hard to really grasp what actually happened.