Woodstock 99 10 Years Later
The actual anniversary was last week but I forgot to post it.
It blows my mind that Woodstock 99 was 10 years ago from today, it was actually July 23-25 to be exact. I thought I would remenise about it a little about those crazy 3 days.
- We drove along with a group of guys from college and one of them asked me to hide a bag of weed going in, which I did, in my bra and I didn’t get caught.
- We were totally paranoid trying to sneak stuff in like alcohol and food, which they adamantly noted on their website that it was restricted, but it wasn’t checked at all. If I’d known this I would have snuck in an entire duffel bag of food.
- We got there early to get a good spot which was a good thing because we picked a location with a tree. This was important because it was like 95 the entire time and since it was on an airforce base there were very few of them. Me with my pale Irish skin was in fear all weekend I would burn to a crisp but I think I put on so much sunscreen that is what saved me.
- Everywhere you wanted to go you walked miles, I have no idea how many. My feet are sensitive and while my body can handle it my feet give out quickly. This was frustrating because just to pee or go see a band or find water you had to walk a mile or two.
- Right after we got there one of the guys we came with convinced me to smoke a bowl with him, it was this battery operated one. I got so baked that I stumbled into our tent only to step on a bottle of shampoo getting it everywhere and then passed out.
- I think we spent more while we were there on food and drinks than the actual tickets since a bottle of water was $4, a burrito was $7 and one of those small celeste pizzas were $10.
- The lutrines were beyond disgusting as they were all overflowing.
- The music was great except when a massive speaker blew out or something during the band Live and was making this awful sound instead.
- There were so many bands we wanted to see but the 2 main stages were miles and miles apart, so we had to pick and choose.
- We heard a couple in a tent next to us having very loud sex and saw another couple having sex right out in the open.
- I saw a large dude walking around naked but with a sock on his dick.
- We bought some drugs from a guy (dude, it was Woodstock) and I had to take a nap that night before I was going to get up to party all night. I made my friend promise not to do them. I woke up at 6am the next morning when she stumbled into the tent, I looked at her and said “you did all the drugs” and stormed out when she didn’t answer. Apparently she got lost all night while high on a few different things.
- We were asked by a bunch of college kids with a video camera to flash them, we didn’t and there was probably a video made from it that we made it out of.
- We left just before the riots started because our bag of stuff (including cameras and most of our pictures and clothes we bought) were stolen. It still took us 1 1/2 hours to get out of the parking lot and almost ran out of gas.
- We kept trying to find the showers but never did, we stunk so bad we drove back home with the windows down.
Don’t forget to listen to our show Too Much Pressure last night where we talked emphatically about the decision to be childfree!