The Mindset

So I’m trolling around Facebook on my day off, watching a movie and cuddled on the sofa. Suddenly I see a picture and I’m truly shocked. It’s not so often I think most people are shocked much anymore but this was not a picture I thought would be associated with a fun little meme.

I know that some of my family in the midwest are…conservative but I think given my family in the northeast is quite the opposite normally we try not to to get into the stuff that could rock the boat. Then there is Facebook and my 16 year old cousin is on Facebook. Sometimes I see she is preaching certain things, which bugs me but I try to ignore it. For me it’s an automatic turnoff but I’m trying to see beyond it because she’s a teenager and she has a lot to learn about life.

The other day I suddenly saw a meme of hers and it had a strange picture attatched, I opened up the note to see the picture closer and it was a severed baby fetus head. I’m not exagerating, the picture was worse than anything you could imagine and I can’t get it out of my head. I assumed it was an abortion picture, one of those pictures you see when people picket abortion clinics.

I asked her why she included this picture and she said it was totally random, a picture she had on her computer. Why would you have that on your computer?? I can’t imagine this was a truly random picture, I can only assume you were going for shock value, trying to get your pro-life message across. If I included a random carcas picture would you wonder what I was thinking?

Knowing that teens are being brainwashed this way seriously disturbs me. I’m fine with people who feel they need religion or believe in Jesus or whatever, but this constant need to shove your beliefs in others faces like it’s going to save them comes across as sorta crazy.

The way I see it, being a good person (above being a good Christian) is about accepting people for who they are and not condeming others for not feeling the way you do. I figure that image she posted was her way of trying to get me to see the truth about her belief but in reality it just made me question her.

1. metalmom

July 23, 2009 at 9:25 am

I agree. A good Christian should be COMPASSIONATE and that includes everyone not just other Christians. My biggest peeve is that Christian means ‘like Christ’ and I don’t think he ever bombed clinics or screamed and shocked non-believers.

Oh yeah, I’m Catholic too. I just don’t thump a bible in your face!

July 26, 2009 at 9:36 am

@metalmom, you thump a bible in my face and i’m gonna…uhm…give you the finger :fu:

2. Hannah

July 23, 2009 at 10:52 am

I agree with you and metalmom. There are FAR too many fundamentalist wingnuts out there-Christian, Muslim, Jew and otherwise-who are beyond ignorant and obnoxious!

One of the many things that these pro-lifers don’t get is that women will continue to get knocked up and seek out abortions, whether the crazies like it or not! Worse still, is that many women try to do it themselves or find crooks to perform them and often end up dead.

Better sex education+access to medical facilities+not poking your self-righteous nose in other peoples business=Happiness

July 26, 2009 at 9:42 am

@Hannah, i’m all for people not getting abortions and i’m all for people not having sex until their ready but i’m also for reality. Denying what the truth of the world is will cause a lot more problems.

3. Hannah

July 23, 2009 at 10:52 am

P.S. I missed you too! 🙂

4. Shelli

July 24, 2009 at 3:50 pm

I consider my self a Christian. I will never understand those people who claim to be “pro-life” and then murder abortionists. It makes NO sense.

That frightens me about your cousin.

July 26, 2009 at 9:43 am

@Shelli, it really is scary, kids need to understand reality and not just live in denial.

July 26, 2009 at 9:44 am

@flutter, you know what’s scarier? That there are SO SO many kids here age just like her. Oh you know a kid who was probably just like her? Bristol Palin 😀