I May Be Cheep But Not Easy

I am not easy to be friends with, I admit that. I can’t pretend things are ok when they aren’t. I can’t suck things up just to make things easier for other people. I know I’m not easy but I do try to keep things to myself and not burden others, as best as I can. My own problems are the same problems I’ve had as long as I can remember, no need to rehash them.

Me being social isn’t a guarantee. I have always had issues with socializing and lately it’s worse than ever. Some situations stress me out more than others, I wish I could pinpoint why. I am working on this everyday, or rather working on myself in hopes I don’t have to live my entire life this way.

If not being able to come to events all the time means I am a bad friend then I have to accept that. I love my friends dearly but it isn’t fair to pressure me into doing things because everyone else is. I’m not everyone else. I can’t make myself be who you think I should be. I would never ask you to be anyone but who you are. I never will.

1. Grant

June 23, 2009 at 10:54 am

I recommend booze as the solution to all your problems.

June 23, 2009 at 11:55 am

@Grant, Works for me.

2. edmcbride

June 23, 2009 at 10:54 am

ro-ro (thats your new name)

I’m the same way. I can be very introverted. Its not by choice. it just seems to happen. i can feel it happen, but have trouble stopping it.

i hate it. if you figure it out tell me too!

(this comment brought to you by tooooo much coffee)

June 23, 2009 at 11:55 am

@edmcbride, Did you know that was my nickname in middle school? Are you stalking me?

I keep hoping to figure out how to get past this but it’s been 31 years and I have not figured it out yet.

1. edmcbride

June 23, 2009 at 11:58 am

@Robin, did not know that! it just popped into my head

June 23, 2009 at 12:01 pm

@edmcbride, That’s so weird. They named me that after that boy band ABC.

3. Hannah

June 23, 2009 at 12:24 pm

As long as you make an effort sometimes, friends should respect your decision not to attend every single social thing under the sun. 🙂

June 23, 2009 at 3:05 pm

@Hannah, I make efforts in my own way, spending time with people one on one but I’m not sure if that’s enough.

4. kapgar

June 23, 2009 at 2:08 pm

You seriously sound like a female me.

June 23, 2009 at 3:06 pm

@kapgar, ::looking down shirt:: yep, I’m a female :robin:

5. themuttprincess

June 23, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Hey Robin, quit beating yourself up!

It is ok to not do things sometimes. Social anxiety is normal and it kinda comes and goes. Don’t let it get you down. Anyone that doesn’t accept you for you doesn’t deserve you in their life. Pure and simple.

I come off as a person that likes people. This is not true. I just have learned how to deal with situations, or fake my way through them. I get anxiety and sometimes am not able to do much for a few days. I have given myself permission, and if anyone in my life has a problem with it, too damn bad!

June 23, 2009 at 3:40 pm

@themuttprincess, Thanks, it’s tough when you are the only one though and nobody understands. I can only do the best I can do.

6. Maureen

June 23, 2009 at 8:44 pm

And, if you did pretend to be someone you weren’t in order to please your friends, well, would they really be *your* friends? Or, would the be friends with the person you’re pretending to be?

June 24, 2009 at 8:08 am

@Maureen, I suppose not, you sure know how to get right down to the point.