The Northeast

I got into a discussion on Saturday about movie away, I think most people want to have the experience of living somewhere else at some point in their lives. I’ve always lived in Massachusetts, from birth. I tried to live in Oklahoma but that only lasted a month. I’m not sure why it didn’t work. I’m not sure if it was just that Tulsa wasn’t for me or if it was just the wrong time. It just didn’t work.

Anyway, when I mentioned I would love to live in Ireland a friend of a friend asked me why? I said because the living seems to be more laid back and in Europe they seem to be much less uptight than here. I even went so far as to say I’m not the biggest fan of Americans in general. I feel we are lazy, self-righteous and generally ignorant.

She used to live in California and from a slightly outsider point-of-view she mentioned that maybe this view I have of Americans is just a New England thing. Maybe if I were to move to another part of the country maybe it would be a good change for me.

I imagine this is entirely possible, who am I to say since I’ve never truly experienced living in another state. There are a few important aspects regarding wherever I move though:

1. mild winters (if not no winters)
  2. liberal state

See, I’m not sure I could stand to live in a conservative state, although really how much does it matter I guess? I just couldn’t live in a bible thumping/repressive location. Hell, my MIL moved to Florida a super duper liberal and after she moved there became so much of a conservative that she voted for Dubya TWICE!

So where can someone live that is warmer and not repressed? Arizona? Colorado? I can’t move to Colorado though, all of my friends have moved there and moved back so in my mind it’s a no go. I can’t move to the south though, I can’t deal with the southern accents…no offense or anything.

But I can feel in my bones I am sick of the north east. I’ve lived here for 31 years and I think it’s been one too many for a while now. I do think I was ready for something new when I moved to Oklahoma when I was 24 but it was just the wrong place/wrong time.

I’m just sick of the apathy and rudeness I see every single day, especially on the roads. It’s eating away at my soul, no seriously…my soul is corroding…it does that…it’s a medical thing. I have no patience anymore and I am getting angrier every single day. Everyone pisses me off and I’m pretty sure soon I’ll just become a big ball of hate.

Then I wonder if this is just me or maybe my situation? Is it my commute that is killing me slowly or am I just built in a way that it just gets to me easier than other people? Maybe all I really need is new surroundings, any new surroundings?

What are your thoughts on it? What is it like where you live? If you live in the Northeast or do you feel the apathy too? If you’ve lived in the Northeast and now live elsewhere, did it really make a difference?

At the same time, I kind of feel that Massachusetts is so engrained in me that I’ll never really feel comfortable anywhere else but that’s no reason not to try. Right?

Side Note: With the economy the way it is now where aren’t going anywhere for a while, this is just me contemplating.

Speaking of Northeast I must wish Eddie boy a big ol happy birthday :dance: :ed: I hope you plan to be naked all day in celebration of your naked day.

1. Amanda

June 1, 2009 at 10:12 am

I find people in the midwest to be friendly, but it’s not the most exciting or liberal place. Although to be fair, where I live, the two big cities are blue and the rest of the state is red, so it’s about split equally population wise. I doubt I’ll live here forever, but it’s nice. I don’t know where else I’d live, because I’m a baby about hot and cold weather, and we’re thankfully fairly mild, except for August.

June 2, 2009 at 11:48 am

@Amanda, i’m a big baby about winters so you can imagine how i’m so cranky after 31 years in MA.

2. Hannah

June 1, 2009 at 10:28 am

I’ve been living in Ottawa, Canada my entire life and have witnessed friends move away and sometimes contemplate the same thing myself. Ottawa has long and harsh winters, the people can be very reserved and boring and public transportation here is lacking. Its hard though, because my family is here and we might miss the more positive things we sometimes take for granted. Plus, as you mentioned, moving to another place means moving to a potentially different political/social climate where we may not fit.

Perhaps you could spend a month or two in another area, ask the locals what its like, research and then make a decision from there. 🙂

June 2, 2009 at 11:49 am

@Hannah, yeah i doubt we’ll ever have that option. once we move we’re gone for a long time since we’d have to sell our house.

3. bubblewench

June 1, 2009 at 10:31 am

Being born and raised in Philadelphia, having lived in Baltimore, NYC and CT, travelled quite a bit over the US, and eventually moved to Oregon. Yes, it is a total East Coast thing to be so uptight. It took me 2 years just to slow down enough to enjoy living in Oregon.

Oregon/Washington is a different pace all together. Much more laid back. Much easier to live.

Just my personal opinion.

And I stupidly moved back East after 11 years in OR. And I kick myself in the ass every day.

June 2, 2009 at 11:50 am

@bubblewench, no wonder i’m so tense then, this explains so much.

4. themuttprincess

June 1, 2009 at 10:32 am

I actually don’t mind Minnesota. I live close enough to a lot of neat things. Plus, honestly, I don’t get out much. I love staying at home in my pjs.

I have never been to MA, so I can not give you an opinion that would help you.

I have lived in CA however, and you know what? It made me THAT much more grateful for MN.

I would like to move somewhere in 5 years. My BF and I have discussed it and we have not settled on where I will send my resumes to first. Luckily we have time.

Good luck on your search!

June 2, 2009 at 11:51 am

@themuttprincess, I don’t need a big crazy city, I love being home. I just don’t want to deal with winter.

June 1, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Yeah, you definitely need to live somewhere else. I can’t imagine living in the same area without ever moving.

I’m liberal in Florida. There are parts of Florida that are quite liberal, and then there are areas that are moderate. You should move here.

Happy birthday, Eddie!

June 2, 2009 at 11:52 am

@Avitable, You know, I totally would but I’d have to find just the right place…particularly far enough from my MIL so she couldn’t just pop on over for a visit.

6. Tug

June 1, 2009 at 7:06 pm

I’ve lived in NE & MT (too cold), NV & AZ (too hot), ID (snows, but pretty moderate where I was for the most part) and now CO (you know how I feel about that). When you find a good place, let me know k?

June 2, 2009 at 11:53 am

@Tug, I’m not sure anywhere is too hot for me. As long as I have air conditioning it doesn’t really bother me.

7. Tug

June 2, 2009 at 12:12 pm

I didn’t think hot would bother me either, but the dash of my car warped & my spare tire melted to my trunk in AZ – I had to put a baby sock on my gear shifter so I didn’t burn my hand.

True story.

THAT bothered me.

June 2, 2009 at 12:16 pm

@Tug, holy shit, that is BAD! I had no idea.

8. ed

June 2, 2009 at 8:40 pm

thanks for the birthday wish! i was naked part of the day 🙂

9. kapgar

June 5, 2009 at 7:30 am

I wish I knew where to guide you to, move wise. There is quite the variety of places if you need a change from New England. I do find Illinois people to be comparatively kinder than the northeast (I lived in Connecticut), but even that is changing. The once utterly lovable and forgiving midwesterners are becoming more “me me me” and it’s disgusting. Road rage is bad. All that jazz. It’s possible it’s still better than New England as it’s entirely likely that as our apathy increased, so has that of the people where you are. But then there are our winters. Yeah, you won’t like that. Arizona? New Mexico?

Me? I’ve always wanted to give it all up and move to Portland, Seattle, or Missoula, Montana. The first two primarily because it’s just a new place that I’ve never been to. I’ve heard great things about both, but with the pace in Portland being a bit more relaxed than Seattle. Maybe I’m mistaken. Missoula, though, is the dream. To me, I imagine the life being very outdoorsy, very relaxed. A place where I can get in touch with myself. Again, I could be mistaken. Maybe someone from Missoula can correct my perceptions.

June 5, 2009 at 7:44 am

@kapgar, that was a great answer, thanks. I really do feel I need to move out of the US but that is such a hard thing to do. I’m pretty sure all of us are stuck where we are for the time being though.