Superstition

I was thinking about superstitions and how a lot of cultures have their own. Like my co-worker once told me it was bad luck to put my pocketbook on the floor because you will go broke or something. It got me thinking that I bet everyone has at least a couple things they are superstitious about even if they don’t really notice it.

Things I am superstitious about:

• Walking under ladders – I don’t think I’m really afraid of ladders but I figure it can’t hurt to walk around them.
  • Breaking mirrors – I’m still convinced that when I broke a mirror when I was 10 it explains the horrible years from 10 to 17.
  • Sidewalk Cracks – I’m not sure if avoiding cracks in the sidewalk is a superstitious thing or an OCD thing.

Now I realize these things don’t actually change anything but I still do them. I think everyone has at least one supersticious thing they do. What is yours?

1. whall

April 23, 2009 at 8:34 am

I’m superstitious about reading a post and not leaving a comment, even if it’s unrelated like this one.

Oh wait.

2. Crystal

April 23, 2009 at 9:07 am

I don’t know what cultures they come from, but the big superstitions in my family are:

1. never give a wallet/purse without putting a coin in it or one of you will go broke.

2. Never put new shoes on the kitchen table – it’s bad luck. Never put old shoes on the table either, because it’s just nasty.

3. Don’t give a person a knife as a gift without putting a penny in the box with it. The penny keeps the knife from severing your friendship.

April 23, 2009 at 9:53 am

Those are awfully complicated.

April 23, 2009 at 9:44 am

How did you manage to spell superstitious correctly everywhere but one time? You do that just to drive me insane, don’t you?

I don’t have any superstitions that I know about. I have habits, but they’re not backed by superstition

April 23, 2009 at 9:54 am

I do go out of my way to mis-spell just for you, just like I go out of my way to say “tempid” instead of “tepid” to Manly Man.

4. Amanda

April 23, 2009 at 12:10 pm

I thought about this when you had your poll- I chose “other”. I’m not really sure I have any. Ladders, black cats, salt over the shoulder… I don’t get it.

I do believe in Karma to a certain extent though. I try to put out good vibes and good actions, if I do something negative I’m sure it’ll come back to haunt me. In a way, I guess that’s superstition.