I Don’t Get It

sucks.jpg

I don’t, and I’m assuming never will, get Baseball. Quite honestly I don’t entirely get football either but let’s stick with one subject.

I’ll be honest, I never bothered to understand the rules of baseball, which is probably part of the problem. To me it seems awfully complicated for people throwing and hitting balls.

Now correct me if I am wrong here but basically baseball is a bunch of pitching balls, swinging bats and waiting and waiting and waiting some more. Right? I’ve been to a couple of Red Sox games and well, I couldn’t tell you what happened other than that someone at the end told me it was over and time to leave. If there were something I could watch that would put me to sleep it would be baseball.

I understand what I am about to say is about as unAmerican as you can be but soccer to me seems way more interesting. How is it so many little kids play it when they are younger and then once they get older they shun it? What I like about soccer (not that I watch it but if I had to pick a sport it would be soccer) is two things, it’s fast paced and the men are HOT.

Let’s compare a baseball player and a soccer player, shall we?

youks.jpg Beckham.jpg

Who is better eye candy, be honest. That’s what sports is to me, why would I want to watch a bunch of pudgy guys stand around a field scratching their balls?

[tags]sports[/tags]

1. Hannah

April 8, 2009 at 7:54 am

Oh don’t forget spitting too, baseball players do that too. (ewwww!)

I don’t find sports in general very interesting. Even hockey which, despite being Canadian, bores the hell out of me.

2. B

April 8, 2009 at 8:28 am

I’m the same way about hockey. I went to a game Friday night and was beyond bored. I looove baseball though. I never cared much for soccer but I’ve watched a few games and enjoyed myself.

3. Sean

April 8, 2009 at 8:42 am

I guess I understand your point Robin, because baseball is played at a slower pace, and soccer, basketball, football…they are all played at a faster pace. But there is something wonderful about being able to hit a round ball with a round bat that is coming at you at 90 plus MPH. There is edge-of-your-seat drama when your favorite team is down in a series 3 games to none and crawls its way back, coming within one out, one strike from the season being over and then the excitement of a game-winning hit, or better yet home run that allows that team to win the whole damn thing that is just magical. It’s hard to explain to a non-fan…but it was born in me and I was raised with this passion for sports that cannot be taught.

4. Nancy

April 8, 2009 at 9:09 am

You should read Jerry Remy’s book Watching Baseball. Or watch a game with my husband. Baseball is a lot more than swinging a bat, running around bases and catching a ball. There’s a lot of strategy that goes into it. I think that Annie Savoy said it best during the opening scene of Bull Durham.

Oh, and no fair picking a bad shot of Youk. You could’ve chosen Veritek…or several other hunks such as Prince Bananahammock aka Gabe Kapler. I’ll take any of them over “Becks” any day πŸ™‚

5. Manly Man

April 8, 2009 at 9:25 am

My Dad always watched baseball and football on TV when I was a kid (when he could as we didn’t always have a TV with the games on). I played little league and was pretty good at hitting, but somehow always ended up in right field… so I walked off in the middle of a game never to return. The death blow for baseball (and most competitive sports)for me came on May 8th 1978 when I witnessed “Yaz”-Carl Yastrzemski hit his 100th home run at Fenway Park. Everything stopped as they proceeded to give speeches and awards etc. I was SO bored that I have never been to another pro baseball game since. I think watching any sport on TV just makes it so much worse. I would rather be there or play than watch it on a screen. Oh, and I did play varsity soccer, basketball, and lacrosse in high school!

April 8, 2009 at 10:52 am

Baseball and soccer are of equal degrees of suckitude to me.

7. Sean

April 8, 2009 at 11:04 am

If you want more soccer Robin, you’re in luck because the MLS season just started…even though European football is better to watch.

8. Gemini

April 8, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Yes you are a total Brat… and try as I might to change your mind on stuff it never works…

So I have learned… to Just nod my head and say “Sure, Robin… you are right…” this usually makes her feel better.. hehe πŸ˜‰

It doesn’t change anything but she at least feels like she won.. hehe πŸ˜‰

Right Erik? :whip:

9. Manly Man

April 8, 2009 at 1:33 pm

So… how about those Red Sox? :rolleyes:

10. edmcbride

April 8, 2009 at 5:31 pm

i hate baseball. its not fun to watch at all. there’s no action. it moves to slow. they are all on steroids.

it sucks.

:ed:

11. Tara

April 8, 2009 at 8:05 pm

I feel that way about a lot of sports. Baseball is a bunch of chubby guys standing around doing a lot of nothing in the pajamas. Hockey is like having sex with a guy that isn’t very good at it — he wanders around and around and around and every now then, in a rare moment of amazement, he hits the right spot. Golf — now there’s a sport I don’t get — they hit the ball THEN WALK AFTER IT. And they do this over and over!

Go figure.