Fuck

Final_Fuck_02.jpg

The Premise: A documentary on the word “fuck” and how it’s affected history and culture. Fuck: A Documentary interviews a bunch of people who know the word well such as George Carlin, Ice-T, Ron Jeremy and Janeane Garofalo (I love her btw). It’s a word loved by some as much as it is hated by others. It’s in movies, television, books and even the Senate. For such a small word it has quite a big impact.

The Good: As far as I could tell it covered just about every aspect of the word from how it came to be, to the controversies to the diversity of it such as “go fuck yourself” to “who the fuck cares?” Fuck is the bad word of all bad words, I know it’s my favorite bad word. What really got me thinking is whether cursing really effects children badly. I heard swears growing up and I don’t think it had a negative impact. The way I see it the more impact we put on the word “fuck” the more leverage the word is given in society. What if it were just a word?

The Bad: I don’t have anything bad to say about it, it’s a documentary and some people just don’t do them. It’s cool but you miss out on a lot.

What are your thoughts on this topic?

If you want to rent it on Netflix you can get it here and you can also add me as a friend.

Rating: ★★★★½

1. Heather B

February 3, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I saw something like this a while ago, might have to find this one too

2. edmcbride

February 3, 2009 at 5:05 pm

honestly i think its just another word. course i don’t say it at work, but i’m not afraid to drop the f bomb

3. edmcbride

February 3, 2009 at 5:24 pm

hahah i’m pretty much the farthest person to be a badass

4. kapgar

February 3, 2009 at 6:30 pm

I need to see that documentary. Have you ever heard the old .wav file about how versatile “fuck” is as a word? Hilarious.

5. Heather B

February 3, 2009 at 7:25 pm

@Kapgar I love that .wav

6. teahouseblossom

February 4, 2009 at 12:55 am

Wow..that looks like a totally fascinating movie. I’m definitely adding it to my Netflix queue now!

I wonder if the Supreme Court watched this; they recently considered a case over whether this word is still considered profane to a degree that when it was accidentally blurted out during a live broadcast, the station acted appropriately by fining the person who yelled it.