I Bet You Didn’t Know

1. I sometimes listen to Jay Severin (whom btw I can’t stand), which is a conservative talk show. I started listening to it because I wanted to learn more and really figure out where I stood with everything. One thing I learned was that I wasn’t a democarat but still very much not a republican. I’m somewhere in the middle.
  2. I used to have a bumper sticker (on a different car) that said “Friends Don’t Let Friends Vote Republican.”
  3. While I am Pro-Choice I am against illegal immigration. I am against capital punishment and I am anti-guns. I am for gay marriage and for English to be the language of the United States.
  4. I also used to believe in helping everyone, now that I’m a semi-adult (not sure if the full time adult will ever happen) and I work for everything I have I’m a little more careful about who I think should be helped. I think it’s just too easy and too many people take advantage of it.
  5. I am very much opposed to religion having anything to do with our government, they are 2 separate things in my book.
  6. When I was in first grade I think they had us do a mock voting for president, it was between Ronald Regan and [some other dude]. I voted for Ronald Regan because he had 2 R’s in his name. I can’t think of any better reason to vote for him…
  7. I like the idea of Universal Healthcare but I don’t know enough about it and I wonder if it’s something our country could even do. I might just move to Canada but then again, I would rather not have 6 months of winter…4 are enough for me.
  8. One of the big reasons I may have a strong distaste for most republicans is because my grandmother is one. She’s a bigot, a racist and just generally looks down on everyone else but her. She listens to Rush Limbaugh, nuff said.

I will not pretend to know more than anyone, I’m still learning everyday. I’m open to learning more things and expanding my horizons.

[tags]politics[/tags]

1. crystal

November 4, 2008 at 9:44 am

If you ever want to see people take advantage of the system, work in health care. Oh my god, you would not believe the shit people will get prescriptions for, all on the state’s tab. I can understand some folks who honestly just don’t have the money and need the help; they get OTC drugs for their baby more for preventative stuff so that they don’t need to go to the doctor every single time the kid sneezes, and we generally don’t fill more than 1 script for baby Tylenol for them. However, we have one family that gets EVERYTHING they possibly can on prescription and doesn’t get just 1 drug when they come in, they’ll get easily upwards more than 10 between them, with maybe 4 of them as actual RX-only drugs and the rest being everything from condoms to sore throat spray. And they will pitch a fit if something isn’t covered by the state. “But she NEEDS this! Her throat is sore!”

We also once saved a copy of a script written for a hot tub, and years before I started working in there they got one for an air conditioner.

November 4, 2008 at 9:46 am

@crystal – Uhm, yeah I work for a health insurance company in the grievances department…I know how insane it is. It’s insane the things I’ve seen people appeal and how much it costs just to appeal a $10 co-pay.

3. crystal

November 4, 2008 at 9:48 am

A year or so ago Medicare-D raised their copays from $1 & $3 to $1.05 and $3.10. The shit hit the fan.

4. Amanda

November 4, 2008 at 10:47 am

I agree with you 100% on #3, and that’s why I vote democrat. It’s not perfect, no, but it’s pretty close, aside from the immigration reform.

5. Tara

November 4, 2008 at 12:07 pm

There are people that legitimately need help. They should find a way to keep people from abusing the system. I look at it this way — poor kids, for instance, need help and I’d rather pay for that then watch my taxes go up, which they have, because some rich asshole is friends with the president and he gets tax breaks now. I’d rather have the poor abuse the system than the rich. 🙂

I think of healthcare like education — we insist our children are educated. Of course, our education system is in the toilet, so who knows what we’ll actually be able to do with health care. We should insist people have health insurance, though, if they don’t and they should have to contribute, like everyone else does, to paying for it.

I’m personally tired, though, of paying more than $2,400 a year out of pocket — I buy my own as I work for myself — for insurance. But until the health care companies care about more than making a profit, this issue isn’t going to be fixed.

Pro-choice isn’t pro-murder in my book, so as far as I can see, you’re consistent on most of your beliefs (anti-guns, anti-capital punishment, etc.). I think we’re so nationalistic (not patriotic) that most people are against illegal immigration and most want English as our language. I don’t like people who follow rules and I get tired of pushing 1 just to talk to someone in English, too. 🙂

6. Tara

November 4, 2008 at 12:09 pm

That should be I don’t like people who DON’T follow rules.

November 4, 2008 at 12:13 pm

@Tara – Agreed, well put. I definitely want to help others but I’m sick of feeling like our taxes are going to the wrong places. I wish I could choose where my taxes go, that would be nice. Oh and yes, I hate when people don’t follow the rules. I follow the damn rules and I don’t get any help…

8. charlene

November 4, 2008 at 1:58 pm

hey girl~~love your new website design, hope ireland was a blast and this is the first time i’ve been able to check you blog since dad died on 10-18, long long comlicated story that involves a 9 day hospital stay, emergency room trips(3), emergency surgery and now i am fighting an infection from all of the crap that was done to me in the hospital, hoping that my kidneys that shut down from the drugs i received during hospital stay will start working again. don’t know how much damage will be permanet. right now my kidneys are working at about 10% (my guess based on intake of fluids/output of fluids so i’ve gained 25 pounds of fluid in the past 10 days) oh and my computers were taken over by relatives that live in AZ, they placed a keystoke and was over my admin rights(a hidden program) if you have had any trolls from AZ or AR, i’m sorry, i thought i was going insane until i caught them in a “troll trap”saturday but didn’t find out about the program they placed while visiting my mom and dad in APRIL–insane freaking family and they say i’m crazy~~anyway, i am only on line for short periods of times and have closed most of my blogs and am not blogging until i get to little rock with my 2 computers to make sure all programs and trojan horses have been taken off~~they keep turning off my firewall and when i get the notice i’m being attacked from the new firewalls i’ve installed, i disconnect.

just wanted to say hi and they haven’t killed me yet, despite their lack of trying

just because your paranoid doesn’t mean there are people out to get you and its sad when it’s family

anyway, i’ll be reading your blog from time to time to catch up~~
    charlene

November 4, 2008 at 2:03 pm

@charlene – I’m glad you are doing ok, I’ve thought about you. Hang in there, email me if you ever need to.

10. themuttprincess

November 4, 2008 at 2:12 pm

I totally am somewhere in between. I probably lean one way more than the other, but you know, it depends on the day.

:thumbsup:

11. Nobodyâ„¢

November 4, 2008 at 3:21 pm

I’m in between.

I’m against illegal immigration, capital punishment and gay marriage (but not gay rights). I am pro guns, and for English to be the language of the United States.

Abortion? I really could give a shit less, it’s a moral issue, and one that doesn’t affect me. I generally think we should leave it as it is and move on to more important things.

12. metalmom

November 4, 2008 at 9:14 pm

I have a lot of people like your Grandmother in my family. They turn my stomach.I will not answer phone calls from my parents if Obama wins. (Just don’t tell them that I’m really home, ‘kay?)