Give and Take

statuscrazy.jpg

Here is the deal the way I see it:

We blog because we want to share something. Therefore we enjoy it if others read and comment, since it’s something we shared it’s nice to know that it was shared with someone.

We comment because we enjoyed something we read. If you are a very active blogger you have a feed reader with a ton of feeds to read everyday. If you comment on someone’s blog and then notice they never comment on yours, that blog doesn’t seem quite worth the daily effort.

It’s the same way with photoblogs, I think it’s kind of understood…if someone comments on your blog you return the favor. It gets tough sometimes, trying to find new ways to compliment a picture.

Trying to take time to really read and digest all the blogs can be daunting. Sometimes it seems like it’s more of a race than it should be but mostly I just love getting to know people and getting a little peak into their daily lives.

I love writing, I know I would do it even without any comments but getting comments can lift you up a little and make your day a little better. I love photography and I love getting responses to my work but it loses it’s luster after a while. I keep contemplating giving it up but it also gives me something to strive for and people to converse with.

It’s also a way to escape and as a pisces I’m the queen of it. Traveling to another country really opened up the world to me. I felt all this positive energy flowing through me but I also couldn’t help but notice all the negative energy that has been building up inside as well.

I don’t know what I want to do, I know I’m going in circles and I know that all my energy is going into the wrong places. I should be focusing on me and not avoiding what is deep down inside but I’m afraid if I do really look I will fall apart.

Take from that what you will, I’m still not sure what I will take from it.

[tags]blogging, photography[/tags]

1. bluepaintred

October 30, 2008 at 12:49 am

well I for one and going to take the current status button, it’s damn cute. and while you are giving things away,. i will take your collection of smilies too!

2. edmcbride

October 30, 2008 at 6:01 am

i read everything. everything. but if i have nothing positive to add, i don’t usually comment!

is that bad?

:ed:

October 30, 2008 at 7:33 am

@bluepaintred – You are such a giver 😉
    @edmcbride – No, that’s not what I was saying. I guess my initial point (the part at the beginning) was that I usually give back what I get. If it works for you then it works for me.

4. crystal

October 30, 2008 at 9:01 am

This is where you and I differ. I read someone’s blog because I enjoy reading them and like what they have to say. Like Ed, if I have something genuine to add to the topic I’ll leave a comment, but I’m not going to do a “me too!” or “that’s awesome” comment on everything just to stroke the author’s ego. I could really care less if the author never posts a comment on my site, since in most cases I don’t have some sort of friendship with that person. Aside from you, Eddie, and maybe 3 or 4 other people, I don’t actually know any of the people who write what I read, and in any case, I don’t expect that if I leave a comment I’ll get one back, because I don’t set expectations on my friendships with people.

I write for me. Sure, comments are nice, but after 9 years of blogging I’ve adjusted to the fact that I will never run with the blogosphere’s in-crowd, and I could give a rat’s ass about who leaves a comment.

October 30, 2008 at 9:08 am

@crystal – I’m sorry this pushed your buttons so much, I didn’t mean for it to I just had something to get off my chest. More so the fact that I think it’s lame to expect comments or to have any kind of system, most people out there are way worse than me. I’ve had people tell me they will never comment on my blog because they don’t have the time…which is fine, whatever. Anyway I’m not going to get into this again, this post was a lot more than just commenting…maybe I should just give it up entirely. I don’t think I care anymore anymore anyway.

October 30, 2008 at 10:37 am

Recently, I’ve felt bad because I have people who comment on my site that I haven’t managed to add to my feedreader. I try to add everyone who comments, but when I get busy, that doesn’t happen.

Recently, with my party preparations, I’ve barely had time to comment on more than 4 or 5 blogs a day. I still try to read most people, but haven’t had time to actually comment, or haven’t had anything to say.

I feel even worse on the blogs where I might be one of 4 or 5 main commenters, because by not commenting, I’m making up 20-25% of their comments!

7. Maureen Navadomskis

October 30, 2008 at 10:46 am

I think you hit it pretty close when you said that you should be focusing on you. Because, that’s where *your* relationship with you & your feelings of contentment come in life, from how you feel about yourself (and your writing/photography), regardless of how others interact in your life.

For me, comments received just as a ‘return favor’ for a comment left seems superficial, false, lacking in real motivation & feeling. I’d rather have a real reaction than something done out of obligation.

Oh, don’t get me wrong, it’s nice when someone notices or even just stops in to say ‘hi’ on one of my erratic blog posts or on one of my 365 pics. But, that’s not why I’m doing either of those things. I’m doing them for me – to either vent, sort out feelings, perhaps reach out with something cool if anyone else wants to see it, and to chronicle bits of my life.

8. H.

October 30, 2008 at 8:19 pm

My take?

Do NOT get caught up in the comment “numbers” game. I did that. I played the popularity game. Oh, it was fun for a while, but I quickly realized it was all “lip service” (comment service?). When I really needed all those people who just “loved” me, I suddenly wasn’t so cool.

Sure, who doesn’t love the attention and recognition? But when it comes down to it, there are really only two people online that I really care what they thing and who I can actually say are my close friends. (You’re one of them.)

As for the photography, I don’t think you should give it up. You have a genuine talent. I rarely comment on other photoblogs. I don’t know why. I just don’t. And people don’t generally comment on mine, except you 😀 . I do most of my commenting on flickr and I receive most of my comments on flickr. If it’s tiring you out, just take little breaks from it. I do that sometimes. I put the camera down until I feel inspired. Keep it fun, don’t make it a chore.

The same with blogging. Don’t stress yourself out trying to comment on everyone’s blogs to reciprocate or to get your numbers up. I feel the same way as some of the others who commented, I comment on posts I genuinely enjoyed or have something to say.

9. teahouseblossom

October 30, 2008 at 9:03 pm

Going in circles isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes we need to be in a holding pattern for a little while during the process of figuring out which direction we want to fly into!

10. Tara

October 30, 2008 at 9:20 pm

As someone who doesn’t know you IRL, I feel somewhat objective in saying… I think you need to spend time with you. I think sometimes you beat the hell out of yourself which makes me think you aren’t all that in love with you. And you need to be. Then, no matter what anyone else does or doesn’t do, it won’t matter.

October 31, 2008 at 10:53 am

Thanks for the thoughts and feelings on this, I still don’t know entirely how I feel. I know I don’t actively sought out comments but I do look for friends and I guess online you feel you have more friends by the more people that respond to you. For the last couple of years I’ve been in a transition and I still feel like I’m just kind of going in circles. I’m really upset with myself about my Ireland photos, one thing I promised myself before I left was I’d make sure I knew what i was doing with my camera so I wouldn’t mess up a once in a life time opportunity and that’s exactly what I did. to some of you the pictures may look amazing, and in a way I do believe they are, but on a technical level they are not. I hope I can get past it, I’m trying but I really let myself down. Thanks for everything you guys, this is one of the reasons I keep blogging and keep reaching out, I feel I always end up taking a step closer to understanding myself and the world around me.

Ok, I seriously have to stop this introspective stuff…damn Pisces!!