Turning 30

This is important people, even for those of you well past the age of thirty. I’ve been taking time to come to grips with what this large number means, feel free to offer your own suggestions.600px-US_30_svg.png

1. At age 30 you can’t blame your stupidity on being in your twenties. At thirty you are supposed to have some marginal idea about what’s going on around you or at least be able to pretend like you do :twitchy:
  2. At age 30 you don’t just get breast exams you start getting mammograms, which as far as I can tell was created by some evil man as a torture device for the women who dumped him over the years. The Wonder Twins are very sensitive and didn’t like the original breast exams :robin:
  3. At age 30 it’s time to start really taking the whole 401k seriously because retirement will come up on you faster than turning 21 did.
  4. At age 30 you start thinking about taking care of wrinkles and stuff like that. I mean, it never really occurred to you before as anything that would really happen but now it’s something you can’t continue to avoid.
  5. At age 30 you realize you’ve only got a few solid years to make the final decision on children. On one hand the idea of having a little person might make you feel young again and remember what it was all about, on the other hand there are stretch marks and the loss of sanity.
  6. At age 30 it’s not ok anymore to lust after a 19 year old boy. Not that I am or anything, just if I did :unsure:
  7. At age 30 the new generation music will quickly become noise and you may actually speak the words “what are these kids listening to these days?”
  8. At age 30 you start needing more sleep but let’s face it, every year you need more sleep. Back in college you could survive off of 4 hours of sleep and now without a full 8 hours you nearly fall asleep at the wheel on the way to work :yawn:
  9. At age 30 you officially resign to having zero interest in going to clubs or bars or staying out really late. Unless, of course, it’s your own bachelorette party. Even then, it may be a little late.
  10. At age 30 you really appreciate being carded like never before and are really happy to be called “miss” instead of “ma’am.”

—————————-
If you missed the announcement yesterday I am having a contest that is running until the 17th. I’m curious who wants to give it a try, so far we have one entry and a few people brainstorming.

February 5, 2008 at 7:09 am

Bullshit. I’m nearly 47 and I still lust after 19 year old boys.

Mr. Fabulous’s last blog post..Are animal rights as important as human rights?

February 5, 2008 at 7:09 am

Wait…I’m nearly 46. Whew!

Mr. Fabulous’s last blog post..Are animal rights as important as human rights?

3. Gemini

February 5, 2008 at 9:28 am

Mr. Fab I believe that this was a dig at me… But it was her fault she send the picture! ERF

Gemini’s last blog post..Volume 3 of 100 things that you wanted to know about Gemini!

February 5, 2008 at 9:32 am

Fab – Well that makes me feel a little less creepy.

Gemini – No, it wasn’t a dig at you actually…more a dig at me.

5. themuttprincess

February 5, 2008 at 11:16 am

I am almost 29 and I feel the same about all of those. Especially the music and staying up late. Maybe I am a early bloomer.

Wait. Except for the kids thing. I have one, and even though I am almost 30 I will NOT be having anymore.

themuttprincess’s last blog post..Tuesday QotD. ON TUESDAY!

6. The Absurdist

February 5, 2008 at 12:10 pm

Here’s what happened to me at age 30 and 35 (I turned 35 last october):

1. Cried. Cried like HELL.
    2. Realized that 28 year olds seemed like babies to me.
    3. I can’t relate to someone in their 20’s.
    4. I start giving life advice to people up to the age of 30.
    5. I started calling the cops for the kids having a party down the street.
    6. I stopped caring what other people thought of me.
    7. I realized that my happiness is only derived through me; not by pleasing my parents.
    8. I realized that all those things I fretted about never came to fruition.
    9. I am still seriously contemplating botox. As soon as I get this Dell job.
    10. I am waiting on my first gray hair. That’s the end of it. That’s when I will jump off the bridge.
    11. You realize that 40 is not mid-life, 35 is.
    12. I realized that my brain does not function as quickly as the 20 year olds, and I can’t keep up with technology from a development perspective the way they can.
    13. I realize that today, my 35th year, my OBGYN is going to tell me to get a mammogram. I will smile and say yes, and then I won’t go.
    14. I realize that I will never have children, because I don’t want to be 40 with a kid.
    15. I realize that the guys who are out of their first marriages are now getting into their second marriages, and I missed that three year period from 31-34 to catch one. I will have to wait until I am 40 for the second round.

I cry. I cry. And I cry…. I start evaluating my life earlier and earlier every year before my birthday. And I cry.

The Absurdist’s last blog post..What the Meme?

February 5, 2008 at 2:11 pm

TMP – Unless of course I need you to be a surrogate, right?

Absurdist – I’ve done like 1/2 of those things already.

8. DutchBitch

February 5, 2008 at 3:42 pm

Yeah thanks… that made me feel SO much better about turning thirthy*bleep* on February 27…

DutchBitch’s last blog post..Is That My Hand Grabbing Life’s Balls?

February 5, 2008 at 4:21 pm

There’s nothing wrong with lusting after 16 17 18 year old girls.

Avitable’s last blog post..Damnshitfuck.

February 5, 2008 at 5:55 pm

DutchBitch – I do what I can to help.

Avi – We’ll just keep telling ourselves that.

11. Jen

February 5, 2008 at 9:38 pm

No matter how old you are, it is ALWAYS ok to lust after a gorgeous 19 year old! :thumbsup:

Jen’s last blog post..Exciting!!

February 6, 2008 at 8:19 am

Jen – Well as long as you say so I’m going for it!

13. Heather B

February 7, 2008 at 3:41 am

I remember turning 30 i was like AHHH!!!!! WTF? But it’s all good when it comes down to it now turning 50 thats a different story

Heather B’s last blog post..My New Tank

February 7, 2008 at 1:08 pm

HeatherB – Luckily in a couple months I get to witness Erik turning 40 :what:

15. Irene

February 22, 2008 at 12:09 am

Hi, I am also turning 30 soon, in March 2008 actually. I am writing a book around that whole theme, it is bits and pieces of my life, and also stories from other people. I wanted to know, specifically, if you would be interested in submitting your article here on this website (especially the list, “At age 30…”) to be included in my published book? If you are even mildly interested or curious, please send me an email to the email id I entered above, and I will give you more details so you can decide if you would like to go ahead with this or not. I appreciate your quick response. Thank you very much.

16. The Absurdist

February 24, 2008 at 7:01 am

Robin, you are going to get to be book famous!

Irene, if you want to know what it’s like to turn 30 and 35, and you want the WHOLE scoop, give me a call. 🙂

The Absurdist’s last blog post..My 8 things; cuz I got tagged