High School Sweethearts

One thing that I can’t seem to wrap my brain around is the concept of a relationship lasting not only past high school but being your one and only relationship. It’s not that I can’t imagine someone being with one person for that long (although that is still a little bizarre to me) but the world of high school, college and the real one called life are so much different, at least to me.

I can’t begin to explain what a different person I was in high school and for that matter college. If you knew me well during either of those times I think it’s pretty safe to say it might as well have younglove.jpgbeen a case of the body snatchers.

In high school I was unbelievably naive. When I say naive I truly believed no other woman masturbated but me and it wasn’t until college that I figured out where a tampon went. I was also really shy and timid, I let people walk all over me. I also would cry at the drop of a hat.

In college I think I spent the majority of it trying to figure out who the Bog Saget I was and mostly just trying out new personas. There was the drunk, the flasher, the flirt and even the loner. From week to week I had no idea what I was doing or where my head was. I didn’t have many lasting relationships in college but looking back I understand why.

So considering the changes so many of us go through how does one stay with the same person from high school? I noticed on Crackbook several of the people I knew from high school ended up with the person they were with then. How did they handle all the confusion? Maybe these people just had a better grasp than the rest of us. Maybe if I’d met Erik in high school I would have done the same (although he was in his mid to late twenties at the time).

Or maybe most people weren’t as confused as I was, which scares me a little. I hope I wasn’t the only one back in those days that didn’t know up from down.

In conclusion, I’d love to hear how these people made it. Was it just a matter of finding the right guy early on? Was it a struggle sometimes to get from one stage of life to the next without breaking up? Did you ever have any doubts — about your significant other or yourself?

January 16, 2008 at 8:41 am

I think I could have dated someone in high school and then stayed with them until now, without much difficulty. When you’re a couple for that long, I think you change and evolve together, too.

January 16, 2008 at 8:44 am

Avi – That’s a good point of view on the whole thing, that makes sense. I guess if it’s the right person you can evolve together. Maybe I just can’t imagine it because the guys I knew back then I could never have evolved with.

3. J.

January 16, 2008 at 10:41 am

I dated the same guy for EIGHT years. Eventually, he proposed, wanted a white picket fenced house, and I saw bigger things in a different city.
    I was never one to stay in one place for very long. Had he wanted to move with me? Who knows.

4. Heather B

January 16, 2008 at 11:17 am

A few slightly Off topic comments
    I never dated anyone in my school it’s always been in my rule book as well as never dating people you work with. The reason why? If u break up rumors will fly.

About having sex before marriage..
    You don’t buy shoes without trying them on first right?

Sorry those things just popped into my mind..

Back on topic, my Brother and his Wife got married while still in School lol and are still married 15 years later so i think they will make it.

5. The Absurdist

January 16, 2008 at 11:55 am

Avi: I devolved.

I don’t know how anyone could do it either. I get bored way to easily. Hence being married twice and having slept with as many people as I mentioned on BTR. Oh. +1 now.

I guess I just really never loved someone enough to be willing to change for his evolving into a complete asshole.

Maybe I am really gay. Or maybe I just havne’t found that one secret society of men that all you women are getting your men from…

6. Tara

January 16, 2008 at 12:40 pm

I always thought those people settled.

*shrug*

January 16, 2008 at 12:52 pm

J. – but would you have become the person you are now if you had stayed with him?

HeatherB – I probably would have been better off if I hadn’t dated at all in highschool, which is what Erik did but then I think I learned a lot.

TheAbsurdist – I think a lot of people feel the way you do. I didn’t think it was really possible to stay with someone forever until I met my current somebody.

Tara – Me too :secret:

8. J.

January 16, 2008 at 12:56 pm

Probably not, and that’s exactly the point right?
    Even through some of the dumber stuff I’ve done … no regrets. It all shapes you to be the person you are in this moment.

Wow … I need a coffee. :crazy:

9. Megan

January 16, 2008 at 1:06 pm

I hear you on this one…

I think it takes the two people to change TOGETHER!!! i have tons of friends that have been together the whole time….one set since MIDDLE SCHOOL!!!! They have just changed and adapted to one another!!!

10. cheri

January 16, 2008 at 1:48 pm

I have zero information on this topic. I can’t even make a relationship last longer than 2 years – let alone 2 decades LOL

11. Jen

January 16, 2008 at 3:02 pm

My aunt and uncle were highschool sweethearts. They went through after about 10 years of marriage, but now they have been married 35 years I think.

I think the key to making any relationship last is communcation and
    compromise. Both individuals have to be able to communicate about everything – no secrets! They also have to be able to compromise from time to time. One person can always have his/her way. That will create resentment.

January 16, 2008 at 3:08 pm

J – That is the point, you were paying attention. You get a gold star :winner: 😉

Megan – Oh definitely, I just can’t imagine being that together (myself) because I didn’t know what the Bob Saget I was doing until about 24 which was around when I met Erik. But then maybe I would have been more together if I’d met him earlier, who knows :dunno:

Cheri – That’s because you are too special for just anyone 😀

Jen – I agree, I think it has a lot to do with the kind of people they are. If they are grounded and emotionally stable…none of which I was 10 years ago.

13. Tori

January 17, 2008 at 1:01 am

My sister married at 19 to the boy she fell in crush with at the age of 12… they got together when she was a senior… I think….

anyway… it worked for her…

me, on the other hand, no fucking way!