I Am A Band Geek
I need to admit to all of you here and now that I am a band geek and will probably forever be a band geek. I spent the majority of my time in high school hanging out in the band room and a lot of my free time doing band things. While I technically didn’t play an instrument I was a big part of the marching band as I was in the colorguard.
Anyway, it was great seeing my band perform again…
Thinking back on these fond memories these are what I remember:
- Getting pumped up for a big show with the whole band in a big circle, we even used to sing Only the Good Die Young.
- Performing a flawless show and that sense of accomplishment, one I never really felt again but that’s ok.
- The crowd giving us a standing ovation.
- The kick of adrenaline pumping through my system when I’ve used up all my energy an the show isn’t over yet.
- Proudly watching a video of a past performance and seeing it all come together.
Then again, I’ll also never forget:
- The hours on end of practicing.
- Running back and forth across the football field as Mr. Bunten always yelled “Do it again!”
- Getting dehydrated from running around in the sun without enough hydration.
- Dating someone in the band and therefore having to be around them for hours when you break up.
- Getting an unfair score from a judge.
- Having to still perform even during the rain and freezing cold.
Either way, still wonderful memories! I’d do it again in a heartbeat…as long as I could rest a little more and not be out in bad weather as I’m getting kind of old for that now.