Getting On My Soapbox

I saw Angel do this and I thought I might as well get this out there.

1. Abortion – I’m completely Pro-Choice and I think if I had been in that unfortunate situation I probably would have done it, although I don’t think anyone knows unless they are in the situation. I’ve been there for several of my friends as they’ve done it, I’m certainly glad I never had to make the choice.
  2. Same Sex Marriages – I am for it, although I don’t know if heteros have really made marriage look all that great in the first place but I think gays should be allowed the same rights. I’m glad I live in a state where it’s legal.
  3. Organized Religion – I have to be honest, I don’t like religion. The way I see it, I don’t see why everyone can’t just pray or keep their spirituality to themselves or in their home. Why go somewhere to pray? Why go nuts with it and try to recruit others? Just appreciate what you have and be thankful.
  4. Racism/Prejudice – I hate it all, on every end. I just don’t understand not liking someone for something they have no control over. I think people just need to relax and worry more about themselves than others. Oh yeah and treat others how they’d like to be treated.
  5. Politics – I’m not sure what I am, somewhere in the middle but definitely not a Republican :yuck:
  6. The War – I’m still waiting for someone to properly explain this to me so it makes sense, nobody has so far. If we are trying to make things better over there who’s to say it won’t go back to the way it was after we leave? Why not take care of our country, we need it I think.
  7. Animals Rights – I wish I could be a vegetarian but I need the protein too much and I’m a very picky eater. However, I have no interest in anything fur. I hate the way a lot of animals are treated and I’ve started to try to make better choices when shopping.
  8. Guns – I don’t believe in guns, I think we should get rid of them all together.
  9. Father’s Rights – It’s my biggest fight and I believe fathers should have the SAME rights as mothers but they do not. I think the children should be with the best parent and if possible they should have both parents in their lives.
  10. Immigration – I’m all for immigration but I think they should have to go through the process. The process was created for a reason.

Additional:

School Shootings – I think it’s easy to blame the shooter but I’m not sure anyone really wants to see where it all started. Maybe the parents should have helped more or been more aware but what about the kids that teased this kid so far and for so long that he felt he had nothing left? You want this kid to suffer for what he did? He did, for his entire life before this. What the kid did wasn’t right but neither were the people that allowed him to be tormented. I’m reading a book about this right now and it’s getting me all wound up, review on Monday.

What are your thoughts?

1. Leanne

July 26, 2007 at 8:26 am

Ummm…. #7 – you know, cottage cheese has a TON of protein in it. So does yogurt.

:whistle:

July 26, 2007 at 8:28 am

It’s hard to get a sufficient amount of protein without meat and I really need to eat a LOT more of it. I like cottage cheese but only the kind with pineapple and that has sugar :surrender:

3. Frankie

July 26, 2007 at 8:48 am

I have a tub of cottage cheese in my fridge right now. I keep forgetting to get out the crackers so I can eat some of it. I have tried it with peaches before :yuck: and I like peaches. What else does it go with?

1. I have to agree with you there. No one knows how they will feel until the day comes when they have to make the decision.
    2. Totally agree with you on this. Why can’t someone marry someone they love no matter of what gender they are? Makes no sense to me at all.
    3. I don’t understand religion nor do I want to. People take it way to far and to me the bible is a fairy tale of sorts. Reminds me of a bad game of telephone when we were kids.
    4. The sad part is people bring it upon themselves most of the time. They act as a stereotypical (insert whatever here) and they automatically seek that sort of attention. Now if they just did like you said and treat others how they would want to be treated then things would be a lot better.
    5. I don’t even bother anymore. The views of each party are so askew its not even funny.
    6. I don’t understand it either. Makes no sense to me in anyway.
    7. I think there should be harsher punishments for cruelty. Dog fighting being one of them. I wonder how the owner would feel having their animal clench onto their ears or neck. I bet they wont like it one bit. But I will place $50 on the dog if that match ever happened.
    8. Thats where we don’t agree. I will leave it at that. 😉
    9. Your right on there sister.
    10. As long as they learn English and have to work for the same things I do I am ok with it. Other then that get your ass back on the boat and go the hell home. :eyebrow:

4. Stephanie

July 26, 2007 at 10:50 am

Yep, pretty much agree with everything you had to say there, and I’m also glad I live in a state that recognizes same sex marriages!

July 26, 2007 at 10:55 am

Frankie – Well good to know we’d get along just fine as long as you don’t hate Kevin Spacey.

Stephanie – Another comment :clap: Yeah Mass has it’s good points for sure.

July 26, 2007 at 11:00 am

Man, I am pretty much with you there point for point. I guess you can take the boy out of Massachusetts but you can’t take the liberal out of him. Um..or something. :fab:

7. Frankie

July 26, 2007 at 11:00 am

Right now the only person I HATE is the bitch I’m working with. There may be a beheading sometime today. Want to join the fun?

:avi:

8. Heather B

July 26, 2007 at 12:15 pm

1. I totally agree
    2. Obviously I’m for it
    3. I don’t mind so much as long as they leave me alone
    4. It sucks
    5. I hate politics and stay away from them, I too am far away from being a republican
    6. I agree they say the war was over that we won but why are are men and women still dying over there
    7. I was a vegetarian I ate alot of tofu for protein
    8. Right there with ya babe
    9. Maybe someday it will be equal
    10. I am very aware of this long as process as I lived it lol… The only thing that upsets me some is how people come into our country and alot of them illegally and get on our assistance programs and get $$$.

Maybe i’m just a bitch, but being how i’ve had to use the assisance programs while married to brandon’s father when he was temporarily disabled and I was almost 9 months pregnant and neither one of us able to work. They made us pawn our wedding rings off before giving us money but yet someone who just walks into the country can get it with no problems at all. Ok so how did I go from immigration to something totally different lol sorry my bad once again. Ohh yea I also think they should learn English

I look forward to your review on monday on the book

July 26, 2007 at 12:21 pm

Mr. Fab – Something like that :lmao: Except for my MIL who lived here most of her life, moved to Florida and now is a raging Republican :banghead:

Frankie – We all have one of those…

Heather B – More than anything it’s really not fair to the people who worked so hard to be here legally and if I were a legal immigrant I’d be particularly pissed about all the illegals.

10. Maureen

July 26, 2007 at 12:55 pm

1) Agree. It’s not the choice that I would make, but I support someone else’s right to make that choice. I would also help them out if they decided not to, too.
    2) Love between two consenting adults is always good
    3) Whatever gets you through your life 😀 There are some great things about being a part of a community who share your same values & beliefs. There are some people who need the rituals & answers that religion provides for them. It gets bad, though, when people use religion to control others or as a way of getting out of taking personal responsibility for their lives
    4) It’s easy to make generalizations about groups of people. It’s harder to get to know each person for who they are & make your decisions about them based on that. The first way, you really limit your life & the people & experiences you have with it. I’d rather take the time to try to understand each person & see how they can be a part of my life.
    5) I’m a liberal, socialist, somewhat libertarian, utopian, optimistic, dreamer hippie 😀 I don’t know that I have any real answers, but I know how I’d like things to be and don’t see anything wrong in always trying to take the path that could possibly lead to a better society for all.
    6) War… I’m not a fan of it. It seems to me that there are better ways of communicating and solving problems in today’s civilized society. I do support our troops, though, 100% (as I support the ‘enemy’s’ troops, too). They’re just people doing their civic duty, working for their country, trying to better their lives in most cases. It sucks that they’re being asked to do what they’re being asked to do, though.
    7) I’ve been vegetarian for over 20 years, now. 😀 There is protein in *every food* that you eat. Every single one. If you keep a healthy balance of foods, you easily get plenty of protein in your diet. I don’t even eat all that healthy & I’m doing just fine. I even carried & delivered 2 babies while eating veg. My philosophy is – if I don’t *have to* cause harm, pain, suffering, in order to survive, why would I? I *can* live without meat, so why do it? …. Of course, I do cook meat for my family, because they haven’t made that choice, yet. We eat veg sometimes. Eat meat sometimes. Everyone makes their own choices (well, the kids can’t choose an ‘all ice cream diet’, though)
    8. I’m not a fan of guns at all. I support people’s rights to have them, but feel that there should be regulations in place to keep everyone safer.
    9. I am a fanatic for father’s rights, too. I think we need a revolution on this front. I think that fathers are just as much a parent as mothers are & should be treated the same by society and by law. It’s going to take good people on all sides to see change, though. Men are going to have to stop taking the easy way out & letting women walk all over them. Women are going to have to take the time to teach men how to be more involved parents. I look at it kind of like the women’s rights movement. In the 1920’s, no one would have ever imagined it possible for a woman to be a doctor, lawyer, or even hold any job outside the home at all. They thought that women were not capable of this kind of thing. It took women saying ‘Yes, we can’ and men saying ‘Yes, they can’, to prove wrong the men *and* women who said ‘A woman’s place is in the home’. It took generations of change for us to get to the point where we teach our girls ‘You can do whatever you want’, so that they will believe that they have choices. We’re still working on it now – working on equal pay, equal respect, etc. … Same will go for getting society to change it’s beliefs on men’s ability to nurture.
    10. I’m an ‘open border’ kind of person. Of course, we need to be careful. We need to make sure we don’t get overcrowded or end up with bills we can’t pay for social services. But, I think what needs to be done is to look for solutions, not to shut down completely. I live in a town that is over 50% hispanic. I’m getting to know some hispanic families through school & soccer. I have yet to meet someone who doesn’t want to learn english, get a good job, provide for their family in the same way that I do. It’s not easy to do all of that on a day to day basis, though. Especially when you have people who clearly don’t like you just because of your nationality. Imagine you’re trying to speak to someone in english, but not doing a great job of it. They make fun of you, or get angry at you & you keep on trying. But, after this happens over & over for months & months, you eventually get discouraged & duck back into the safety of your community & friends. The same happened with Polish immigrants, German, Japanese, Chinese etc – there are neighborhoods all over the country where immigrants huddle together for security. It takes a couple of generations for families to get settled & learn what they need to know to consider themselves ‘Americans’. It goes back to the predjudice issue for me – if you take the time to really get to know people as individuals, you’ll find that they are just like you & me – wanting the best for their lives & their families – wanting to live good, happy lives.

School shootings are sad. You’re right – it’s so complex. There are so many factors that lead up to the tragic ending. We can be sad for the victims, sad for the person who did it – but, what’s really going to help is if we use the tragedy to make ourselves more aware, more loving, more empathetic to those that we know, gentler with those who seem to be struggling, a more loving and caring society.

July 26, 2007 at 1:01 pm

:what: I think your comment is longer than my post, but thanks so much for giving your opinions…I enjoyed reading them. I don’t know if I’ve ever heard an opinion of yours and disagreed. You have a way of saying things that people just can’t deny. You should run for office :rock:

I have to say about immigrants, I’m all for the legals. My co-worker is from Bolivia and she’s awesome. She’s fought to be here and is constantly trying to learn better English. I have so much respect for her and I think she’s an amazing woman.

12. Maureen

July 26, 2007 at 1:44 pm

What can I say – I was bored & trying to avoid doing some work 😉

July 26, 2007 at 1:46 pm

I think that is why the internet was invented.

July 26, 2007 at 2:15 pm

As long as people worship at the Unholy Altar of Avitable, I don’t give a shit.

July 26, 2007 at 2:17 pm

Oh I worship you and your massive — oooh…a cookie! :drool:

16. cheri

July 26, 2007 at 4:28 pm

I agree on 1-10 except I may be a bit more liberal than you. Wow who knew? lol

17. themuttprincess

July 26, 2007 at 4:50 pm

Abortion – I am pro-choice.

Same Sex Marriages – If that is what would make someone whole and they want to pay more taxes and crap, I would never stand in the way. I guess divorce court would be busier.

Organized Religion – I am not religious, I am more spiritual. Whatever that means. lol

Racism/Prejudice – Ignorance.

Politics – I am more conservative than liberal, but nothing defined.

The War – I have days when I think it is ok, and other when the whole thing pisses me off….

Animals Rights – I love meat and leather and I do not own any fur. I have LOTS of pets and they all get treated better than most peoples kids.

Guns – I believe in the right to bear arms.

Father’s Rights -I say if a father WANTS to be a father–BY GOD let them!!

Immigration – I’m all for immigration but I think they should have to go through the process. The process was created for a reason. (amen!)

18. Angel

July 27, 2007 at 9:36 am

Okay, so you know where I stand on abortion, same sex marriages, organized religion, racism/prejudice,politics, the war, and animal rights.

As far as guns go, I disagree with you. I own a gun (only for my own protection in case of a break-in), and have had numerous safety and shooting classes. The gun never leaves my home unless to go to a class with me. I think that it should be okay for responsible people to own guns. I do, however, believe that anyone convicted of a violent crime should not be allowed to own or posses a gun.

Father’s rights- I agree wholeheartedly. Children need their fathers as much as their father needs them, and it is ridiculous for one parent to have more rights when a child is concerned than the other, if there is no good reason for it. Both parents should have EQUAL rights.

Immigration- I believe that legal immigration is fine. If someone is from another country, but they are legal, I think that they should be treated just like all other Americans.

School Shootings- I am right with you. I think that what the shooters did was not right, and should not be excused or applauded, but I think that there are more people responsible for this than just the shooter. I think that those that tormented the shooter, or allowed the torment to go on should be held accountable in some way as well.

July 27, 2007 at 12:14 pm

Cheri – I still consider myself very liberal but with a side of conservative. I just think things should be fair, that’s my motto.

TMP – :rock:

Angel – Glad I’m not the only one who thinks the blame lies with more than the shooter.