Cute or Tacky?

The little figurines people put on top of cakes.  They don’t have to be the cheesy kind, there are more unique ones now.

1. Leanne

July 17, 2007 at 1:03 pm

We had a nice bow and flowers made of fondant. It was beautiful. 🙂

2. themuttprincess

July 17, 2007 at 1:12 pm

If you find figurines you like, use them. If not, then have flowers or something put on top.

July 17, 2007 at 1:18 pm

I saw in a bridal magazine where they used a kitty and doggy figurine. It was too cute. If I could find and Aurora and Pilot I might have to do it.

4. Maureen

July 17, 2007 at 3:56 pm

Go with cute. Go with things that make you feel happy. Don’t worry about whether anyone else thinks it’s ‘tacky’ or ‘chic’. The marriage is not just a party, it’s the symbolic start of the rest of your life’s journey together. Make it a fun beginning.

That said… I don’t even remember what was on top of my cake, or what it looked like. My mom bought the cake for us. I know it was pretty. But, I didn’t really pay close attention to it at all (not enough to remember it 9 years later, anyway). But, if I was getting married today, I think I’d go with the cheesy old fashioned looking ones. Or, maybe these personalized ones (if I could afford them): http://www.clayfigurines.com/wedding-cake-toppers.asp . Or, maybe something goofy like this: http://www.orientaltrading.com/application?origin=page.jsp&namespace=browse&event=link.itemDetails&categoryId=342679&BP=2111&cm_mmc=Shopzilla-_-datafeed-_-datafeed-_-datafeed&source=bizrate&sku=16%2f863 or this: http://www.ericharshbarger.org/lego/images/wedding_cake/topper_0.jpg

July 17, 2007 at 5:38 pm

It’s not a matter of others, I’m not sure if I want it or not. I’m a very simple kind of girl but then I’m also kind of goofy. Erik doesn’t like the idea so I’m rolling it around and looking around to see if something seems cool.

6. J.

July 19, 2007 at 10:35 am

I had one where the bride is dragging the groom. I thought it was cute.