Top 5 Disturbing Movies

I haven’t done a Top 5 in a while and you know my opinion is of the highest caliber. As you know I like dark movies so here are the darkest of them all.

Beware: If you want to go see any of these because I tempted you do NOT blame me if you develop emotional problems afterwards

5. The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover – Just bizarre, that’s about all I can say. I rented this movie because my parents told me how weird it was. I thoughtPink Flamingos it would be more sexual since it was rated NC-17 but there wasn’t much interesting that I remember. All I know is, penis really isn’t something I consider a delicacy but what do I know?
4. Gummo – A documentary about white trash? As far as I remember that’s what this movie was about. A bunch of idiots killing cats and selling their mentally disabled daughter for sex. The ending scene just really tied it all in for me, it still gives me chills. Do NOT eat that candy bar!
3. Pink Flamingos – My parents saw this movie in college in the theater and I searched for this my whole life because they said it was the most disgusting thing they’d ever seen. Not many movies stand the test of time but this one sure does as it’s just as fucked up as the day it came out. Ok, so maybe some parts are slightly more tame but I think the home movie quality of the film adds a harshness to it. I consider tEraserheadhis a movie everyone needs to see even if just to shake them up a little bit.
2. Happiness – This goes at #2 for me because I seriously watched this movie with my mouth gaping open in horror. It was SO dark and twisted at ever single turn. A creepy guy who liked to make prank phone calls while he jerked off, a normal father with pedophile tendencies and a bunch more.
1. Eraserhead – There is an alien baby, little cooked chickens oozing blood, and some weird little lady singing in a radiator. Is that sperm falling on her? This is beyond strange but it’s like nothing that has ever been made or probably ever will be.

———————

Don’t forget to contribute to the Erik & Robin Questionnaire. Dig deep into your souls and give us whatever you got.

June 28, 2007 at 9:09 am

I’ve never seen any of those, although Pink Flamingos is one I want to see. I do like John Waters.

June 28, 2007 at 9:14 am

I’m curious to see what you think of these, let me know if you see them.

3. Heather B

June 28, 2007 at 10:53 am

Never even heard of these…. but where can you find them…. can you really find them in your local hollywood / blockbuster video stores?

June 28, 2007 at 10:58 am

Given Blockbuster is run by Mormons probably not but I think they are all on Netflix. Back in the day before Netflix I tended to find them in little video stores. I can mail anyone Pink Flamingos as I have a copy I think…was my brothers but he didn’t want to keep it :crazy:

June 28, 2007 at 11:06 am

You’re joking, right? Blockbuster has those movies. They’re a public corporation.

June 28, 2007 at 11:07 am

Well I haven’t been in a while, they didn’t have any of those when I was in college.

7. themuttprincess

June 28, 2007 at 11:12 am

I have not seen any of those. I may have to check them out. I like disturbing movies.

8. Heather B

June 28, 2007 at 11:12 am

I may have to write the titles down and check out the blockbuster down the street.. Especially since I owe $ to Hollywood for my late returns lol

9. Heather B

June 28, 2007 at 11:16 am

Ok since were all a bunch of freaks who love disturbing movies… Who remembers the name of that movie that had attick or basement or something filled w/ all these like deformed creatures and 2 of them were getting it on and having sex… I hope someone knows what im talking about. That part is just too funny to me and the only part i remember…

10. Heather B

June 28, 2007 at 11:19 am

now all the sudden i think i remember it…. was it basketcase? or something similair?

June 28, 2007 at 11:19 am

The only one I have seen is Happiness. And you are right, that movie stays with you!

12. franky

June 28, 2007 at 7:46 pm

Eraserhead is awesome! Totally. But I pinkpuffywellnotthatmuchbutstillheart Lynch. :dazed:

June 28, 2007 at 8:12 pm

TMP – But don’t blame me with your reaction k?

Heather – I don’t know it.

Fab – I think the creepiest part of Happiness for me was feeling empathy for the characters when I really didn’t want to.

Franky – One of my bridesmaids (college friend) is obsessed with Lynch, which is why I’ve seen several of his films. The only film I’ve liked of his is Elephant Man.

14. franky

June 28, 2007 at 8:16 pm

No ‘Wild at Heart’ or ‘Blue Velvet’? I could watch Twin Peaks (the series) over and over again!

June 28, 2007 at 8:22 pm

Oh I’ve seen them both, didn’t really like them but they were interesting. I HATED Mullholland Drive, I had to look it up online to figure out wtf happened in that movie :banghead:

16. franky

June 28, 2007 at 8:24 pm

Yeah, I never really got the Mulholland Drive hype, but then again I think it was because at that time I was much more in to Memento.

June 28, 2007 at 8:27 pm

I love Memento :heartbeat: I own it and I still have yet to show the whole thing to Erik.

June 28, 2007 at 8:57 pm

You bought Memento? I liked it, but I always thought of it as one of the films that once you saw it, there was no need to see it again.

June 28, 2007 at 10:29 pm

Heather – Yes.

Fab – It fascinated me, everything about it. I think I’ll watch it again soon.

June 28, 2007 at 11:08 pm

Memento has rewatchability, especially the DVD. You can watch it in the right order, too, which is cool.

June 29, 2007 at 1:27 am

Hmm…okay, I’ll check it out. I thought it might not hold up to repeated viewings.

22. Kentucky Girl

June 29, 2007 at 4:20 am

Look for Black Shampoo sometime. LOL We bought a copy because it was so craptacular. It wasn’t really disturbing though.

June 29, 2007 at 7:48 am

Avi – I really need to watch my DVD.

Fab – Yeah, of course you listen to him but not me.

KG – I love craptacular. I bought a Kung Fu movie because of that but then gave it to a friend as a gift because she thought it was craptacular too.

June 29, 2007 at 7:52 am

He is more eloquent than you. But you still have the much nicer rack.

June 29, 2007 at 7:54 am

I’m eloquent muthafucka.

June 29, 2007 at 8:36 am

Maybe, but I still can’t past the rack. The rack supercedes all.

June 29, 2007 at 8:38 am

So my rack supersedes myself? Did I say that right?

June 29, 2007 at 8:48 am

The rack IS you and you are the rack. Embrace the rack. Become one with the rack.

It’s a Zen thing.

June 29, 2007 at 8:49 am

They are very spiritual.

June 29, 2007 at 9:39 am

They could have their own religion built around them. OR…they are so big that each could have its own competing religion.

Then there could be a holy war.

31. Geeky Dragon Girl

June 29, 2007 at 11:11 am

Blockbuster actually used to be an ultra conservative video store. They would edit the racy scenes in movies and everything! They have relaxed quite a bit now, and are finally a normal video store.

Anyway, I will definitely never EVER see any of these.

32. Frankie

June 30, 2007 at 10:20 am

Woohoo for Netflix. They are now in my queue! I gotta check these out I am all about cheesey movies.

33. Mr Putty Pants

June 30, 2007 at 10:10 pm

As soon as I saw the title of this post my first thought was Eraserhead,
    which I saw more than 25 years ago. I found it reassuring to see it listed here
    as if it confirmed my initial reaction to this film, which as I still recall, “leaving a
    very bad taste in my mouth”.

July 2, 2007 at 10:43 am

Fab – When I let them free I hear angels singing.

GDG – They don’t carry Pink Flamingos.

Frankie – Let us know what you think!

MPP – I’m glad I could reassure you, I’d never watch that movie again.

35. Heather B

July 3, 2007 at 12:33 am

Well since this post I’ve seen 2 of the 5, Gummo and Happiness.

They both had their disturbing parts, but not as disturbing as i was expecting. Im still waiting on Eraserhead to be sent to me, not sure why they have not sent it out yet, as far as the other 2 they don’t have them at blockbuster online 🙁

But thanks to Robin and our chat the other day i loaded up my list with about 8 other trippy ass movies 🙂

July 3, 2007 at 7:57 am

Glad to help, if anyone wants more just ask.

37. Heather B

July 3, 2007 at 11:12 am

I checked my account for blockbuster and there must be some sort of problem with eraserhead even though it says it’s availiable…they sent out my next movie which i can’t wait to get cause ive been waiting for a while to see it “Requiem for a Dream”

July 3, 2007 at 11:19 am

That would be another one.

39. Heather B

July 4, 2007 at 2:27 am

I got “Requiem for a Dream” in the mail today and watched it, now that was a movie i loved… YEAH!!

40. Heather’s Blog | Eraserhead

August 4, 2007 at 1:25 am

[…] Pretty much anything from David Lynch is for you then. I had to see this after Robin had made a post about her top 5 disturbing movies this was her #1 and after reading that I just had to watch […]

41. Heather B

August 5, 2007 at 6:57 am

Now I only have one more movie to see and that is “The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover ” I saw “Pink Flamingos” tonight 🙂

42. Gwen

January 1, 2008 at 11:48 pm

Wow, we have all of these at the Library. Even Pink Flamingos… with DEVINE!
    Happiness was… actually, I don’t have a word for what it was. Although I have to admit I laughed my ass off during the scene where that guy shoots up the park full of happy people to the tune of some delightfully happy song. But then, there is something wrong with me.

January 2, 2008 at 8:02 am

HeatherB – That’s music to my ears.

Gwen – There is definitely something wrong with me too.