Why Massachusetts Hates Me

• I don’t watch sports (which means I don’t watch the Sox) but then if I’d care if anyone won it would be the Sox.
  • I don’t have the slightest Boston accent and I know people from the Cape and New Hampshire that has a Boston accent.
  • I don’t like Dane Cook.
  • I didn’t know what “The Curse of the Bambino” was until a few years ago.
  • The last time I went to Fenway Park I missed the entire game because I talked all the way through it.
  • I enjoy driving through quaint suburban neighborhoods playing obnoxious music.

I think just about the only thing that hasn’t gotten me thrown out yet is the fact I am 1/2 Irish.

April 18, 2007 at 8:44 am

People in Mass think Dane Cook is funny? He is one of the most singularly unfunny people I’ve ever seen.

April 18, 2007 at 8:46 am

Avitable – YES! I thought Erik and I were the only ones who didn’t find him funny. I just don’t get it…he couldn’t be less funny.

I truly think it’s mainly because he’s from Mass but I know Gemini will disagree with me.

April 18, 2007 at 8:53 am

I’ve never found him amusing. He’s worse than Carrot Top crossed with Gallagher.

April 18, 2007 at 8:56 am

oooh, ouch. I was just reading an article about how bad of a comedian he is but how he’s a good performer. I think that makes sense. Everyone I know in Massachusetts (other than Mr. Yoda himself) is obsessed with Dane Cook. They were shirts and spout off one-liners of his. One girl came to my housewarming party wearing a shirt that said “Twat” on it or something, which apparently is supposed to be a funny joke of his.

April 18, 2007 at 8:58 am

If I could sit through any of his stand-up, I might know that. But I usually can’t make it more than a minute before I have to change the channel.

6. Gemini

April 18, 2007 at 10:06 am

The Twat comment on her t-shirt was “I’m not a Twat”

It is just a comment in one of his skits…

I guess that he is just not for everyone and there are enough people out there in the world that disagree with you both… (and yes there are people that agree with you too…)

It is all about what makes you laugh.. if you don’t get him or just don’t think that his ideas about life are funny then you don’t have to see him 😉

Isn’t America Great like that :thumbsup:

:tongue:

hehe 😉

April 18, 2007 at 10:09 am

Well I don’t watch him, at all, so I am fine with that. I’m not talking about being forced to watch him, I’m talking about how obsessed people are with him, how I don’t get it and how defensive some can get.

8. Gemini

April 18, 2007 at 10:21 am

I suppose that the way that people think about it is just like how you feel about Kevin… :mryoda:

I personally don’t care if anyone likes him or not… lol I still think that he is funny :thumbsup:

April 18, 2007 at 10:24 am

Well nobody has given me a good reason why they wouldn’t like Kevin Spacey other than one person saying he “creeped her out” but nobody has to like who I like. I guess, I’m just trying to understand the obsession…I’ll gladly explain in detail my obsession with Kevin :ohgreatone:

10. Gemini

April 18, 2007 at 10:28 am

I guess that you would have to ask Star why she is obsessed with him… I just think that he is funny… I wouldn’t Jump his bones or follow him around the world or anything like that…

If you really want to know who I think is the funniest is George Carlin and Lewis Black… THEY are really funny… 😀

April 18, 2007 at 10:30 am

We saw Lewis Black the other night :lmfao: He’s awesome! :thumbsup:

I’ll have to ask SB because he and his wife are crazy obsessed…have you seen his myspace?

12. Gemini

April 18, 2007 at 10:32 am

No I think that it is private… So I can’t see it
      :unsure:

13. Joefish

April 18, 2007 at 11:08 am

How can you not know about the Curse of the Bambino? Don’t they teach that in kindergarten?

14. Heather B

April 18, 2007 at 11:13 am

I’ve heard the phrase “the Curse of the Bambino” but never really knew what it was till recently

April 18, 2007 at 11:18 am

Joefish – Well I went to a Jewish private school so maybe that’s why.

Heather B – See, that would be ok for me if I wasn’t born and raised here.

16. Krayzee Chickadee

April 18, 2007 at 11:47 am

I think you have a “Boston” accent……. but maybe that’s because I live down here in the south where we say “y’all” and pronounce water like “warter”. (hehe)

April 18, 2007 at 12:13 pm

I could not agree more. Dane Cook is a hack, and Lewis Black is my hero! :rock:

18. NYC Watchdog

April 18, 2007 at 1:04 pm

Only half-Irish??? Really???

What’s Mr. Yoda??? Maybe your full Irish with injection… :lmfao:

April 18, 2007 at 2:02 pm

KC – Maybe I do but not in comparison to most the people I know.

Fab – :rock:

Watchdog – You sound surprised? Love the part Breakfast Club reference…he’s German and some other stuff…no Irish.

20. Rhea

April 18, 2007 at 3:33 pm

I live in Boston and I don’t follow sports. Too bad.

21. Susan

April 18, 2007 at 3:53 pm

I watch the Twins play every year – its gotten a bit infectious I have to admit. I never really got into sports until we moved to Minnesota…

22. Blueyes

April 18, 2007 at 4:01 pm

I watch sports but baseballs not a sport in my book. I’d never make the accents up there since I’m southern 😀 Who/what is Dane Cook? Never heard of the Bambino curse either and probably wouldn’t care if I never knew about it. Fenway Park? I’m assuming that the nonsport of baseballs site. So long as it’s not boom-boom loud music we’re good 🙂

23. themuttprincess

April 18, 2007 at 4:52 pm

I like minor league baseball better. Then again it is the only baseball here in MN that we can see outside….

April 18, 2007 at 5:58 pm

Rhea – So cool to have another Masshole around here 😀

Susan – It seems fun, wish it didn’t bore me to tears.

Blue
      – The Bambino is Babe Ruth and his curse was when we traded him…I think :eyebrow:

MP
      – Maybe if I understood baseball and it wasn’t so slow…

25. Susan

April 19, 2007 at 12:15 am

actually, (She says with a shrug of disbelief because this means she was actually listening one time when her hubby rattled off baseball trivia) the

“The Bambino is Babe Ruth and his curse was when we traded him…I think ” is partially right, and actually its the Curse of the Bambino was a superstition cited, often jokingly, as a reason for the failure of the Boston Red Sox baseball team to win the World Series after they sold Babe Ruth, sometimes called The Bambino, to the New York Yankees. The flip side of the curse was New York’s success—after the sale, the once-lackluster Yankees became one of the most successful franchises in North American professional sports. While some fans took the Curse seriously, most used the expression in a tongue-in-cheek manner.

Talk of the curse effectively ended in 2004, when the Red Sox came back from an 0-3 deficit to beat the Yankees in the 2004 American League Championship Series and then went on to sweep the St. Louis Cardinals to win the 2004 World Series.

Via http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Bambino

Had you going there for a moment huh?

26. Gary