Where I Began

It would probably surprise a lot of people to learn I actually grew up in the city for the first pat of my life. Until age 11 I lived in Chelsea, which is probably known as one of the poorest financially challenged cities in Massachusetts. As my dad started out as an Ophthalmologist working in Boston and I think at the time Chelsea seemed like the most convenient (least expensive) place to live.

We had a beautiful Victorian house with these huge/deep windows I used to sit in. The ceilings were high and the rooms were spacious. I grew up there with lots of good friends (none that I see anymore though) and really friendly neighbors. I had a park down the street and a backyard with cherry tree and an apple tree.

The two things I remember fondly of that city was the spectacular bagel shop in the center of town that my mom still goes to for special occasions. They make a pizza bagel that is killer! They also at one point had a pizza truck that would go around at night, sort of like an ice cream truck. The pizza was the best I’ve ever had. Funny the memories I’m left with are mostly pizza.

Life was really good there for many years although I ended up traveling an hour a day to go to private school on the North Shore, which I hated. I think we all had quite a few good memories in our neighborhood but quickly the city seemed to start to go downhill.

I remember noticing the quality of the neighborhood started to change and walking around wasn’t as nice as it used to be. I remember once walking to the mall by myself and in a back alley seeing a dead rat. Also one day when my friend and I were at the park we saw a guy with a gun under the bridge and ran for our lives.

I think the last straw for my parents was when the 2nd bike was stolen from our backyard and that’s when we moved to Central Mass and I started going to public school. Still, I am glad that I am left mostly with good memories of Chelsea, a part of me misses it sometimes.

Note: I’m not trying to say I ever had it rough or anything, I just think it’s interesting the path I took in life sometimes.  For a long time I was really embarrassed that I used to live in Chelsea but I’m not anymore.  It’s just a part of me, like everything else.

March 28, 2007 at 9:11 am

I was born in Braintree, which is a little poor town as well.

March 28, 2007 at 9:16 am

Well have to mention what a rough start we both had when we are being interview by Barbara Walters :unsure:

3. Heather B

March 28, 2007 at 10:37 am

I think we all have had some ruff starts

4. Heather B

March 28, 2007 at 10:38 am

The house sounds beautiful though

5. Gemini

March 28, 2007 at 11:31 am

You make it sound much better here then you have in the past although when you talked to me about it you were referring to the school that was bad.

:coffee:

6. NYC Watchdog

March 28, 2007 at 1:14 pm

I know it has fond memories… but nothing compares to a NYC bagel.

Just sayin’.

March 28, 2007 at 1:18 pm

Heather B – I wouldn’t call it a “rough” start but an interesting one more so.

Gemini – I rarely talk about Chelsea itself but soon I’m going to take a trip back.

Watchdog – I have to say…the couple times I’ve had NYC bagels I thought they were too tough to chew.

8. NYC Watchdog

March 28, 2007 at 1:30 pm

Really? Maybe you caught them at the end of the day? When you get them at like 6:00am… and the butter just melts through on contact… oh yum.

Now I need one.

Thanks.

March 28, 2007 at 2:09 pm

We moved out of the Boston area when I was in first grade, I think. We lived on Falkland Avenue in Brighton. My folks were originally from Western Mass, and we moved there when the whole busing controversy started, because instead of being allowed to go the school down the street I was going to have to be bused to another town. That’s what I was told anyway. I don’t remember. I also have been told that the girl who lived next door to us who was my best friend at the time grew up to marry Doug Flutie, but I don’t remember that either.

10. Kentucky Girl

March 29, 2007 at 5:57 am

I don’t think I’ve ever been to Chelsea. I’ve been to Braintree though because we caught the train into the city there. And I think they have a mall. I’ve only been to his family’s house…well I guess houses because they live in Canton and Falmouth (on Cape Cod.)

Cute houses all around, but it seems like everything is very small and cramped there. I don’t think I could live in those areas because of it. They took me to the house that they used to live in when they lived in Boston. HOLY MOLY that house was HUGE…but it was right on top of the house next to it. Quite strange (to me.)

I love going back there, though. I guess because it is different than here in California so anything makes it worthwhile to get out of this state.

March 29, 2007 at 8:04 am

Yeah, there is a lot of that around KG, that’s why we picked where we live right now. There is so much space and I have so much privacy I can walk out onto my back porch naked :whistle:

March 29, 2007 at 8:06 am

Shit, I can take my trash out naked. Of course, the neighbors don’t appreciate it.

March 29, 2007 at 8:07 am

Well we don’t want you kicked out of your neighborhood Avi.

14. Kentucky Girl

March 29, 2007 at 8:08 am

Yeah. I gotta have my space. Although I doubt I’d walk out of my house naked. 😛 Might get naked for the hottub. But no one wants to hear about that. LMFAO

March 29, 2007 at 8:12 am

😀

Yeah, they can bite me. I don’t thin our HOA has any restrictions on nudity!

March 29, 2007 at 8:14 am

KG – Space is really important to me, I’d rather a smaller house with more land.

Avi – Awww…I’m just kidding…I’m sure everyone would come out in celebration if you were naked.

March 29, 2007 at 8:15 am

Celebration with pitchforks and torches, maybe.

18. stephanie

March 29, 2007 at 2:11 pm

I had an ex boyfriend who lived in Chelsea, or as he liked to call it… the “hood.” He used to freak out if I forgot to lock the door – while we were INSIDE the house!!

I don’t think the neighborhood’s gotten much better… you might wanna bring protection of some sort. :unsure:

Oh, and Avi sent me :thumbsup:

March 29, 2007 at 2:20 pm

Avi – Yeah you don’t want to burn anything delicate.

Stephanie – Welcome :wave: I actually remember on my first “real” date in 6th grade when his parents dropped me off at home he was like “isn’t this a bad neighborhood?” and I wanted to bitchslap him. He was from the snooty private school so I’m sure he was in shock of the area he was in :lmao:

Most of my time was living in Reading and there I never locked anything.

March 29, 2007 at 2:22 pm

Fire and penises don’t go well together. I have learned this.

21. stephanie

March 29, 2007 at 2:25 pm

Thanks! :wave:

Yeah, it totally used to freak me out that he was so nervous about it. I live in a small town on the south shore, and I rarely, if ever, lock my doors.

Though, that’s something I probably shouldn’t be admitting out here on the internet, huh? :rolleyes:

March 29, 2007 at 2:33 pm

Avi – That’s a harsh lesson to learn, so is holding a cat with sharp claws without a top on 🙁

Stephanie – I’m a bit afraid to go back to Chelsea, it’s been at least 5 years since I’ve been there :twitchy:

No worries, unless you have a stalker…

23. stephanie

March 29, 2007 at 2:35 pm

Maybe just drive around with the windows up and the doors locked! :eyebrow:

And, no, thankfully no stalkers… at least none that I know of. 😉

March 29, 2007 at 2:38 pm

Having a dog sleep in between your legs is also asking for trouble.