Mysterious Box

So, one night during my freshman year of college I was hanging out at the frat house smoking some stuff. Everyone was talking about random crap when I suddenly had a flash of a memory.

The memory was of me sitting on the sofa in our VERY old living room (back at the house in Chelsea before the living room ended up being my bedroom) and my father had a wooden box on his lap. I could remember distinctly (and still can) him rolling what looked like cigarettes.

I mentioned this to the group and you can imagine the laughs that resulted. More stories unfolded around the group but I was still wondering about mine. I wondered if it was real or maybe a scene from a movie.

So one day I asked my mom about the mysterious box and she responded with that could have been anything, which I think you can agree didn’t answer the question. I then went to ask my father about the wooden box and his response was it was a metal box.

So I figured avoiding the question is as good as answering the question. And that’s the day I realized my parents at one point in their lives used to party.

1. crystal

February 26, 2007 at 9:43 am

Hahaha…. I remember the first time it dawned on me that my mother was probably most definitely not smoking tiny cigarettes that required special holders to smoke (I distinctly remember her passing around a roach clip with my godparents when I was really little). My suspicions were later confirmed when I was around 19 and she got a good buzz and told me the story of having to sponge bathe for a week because she and my father were drying out a huge amount of weed in the bathroom.

2. Heather B

February 26, 2007 at 10:47 am

:rock: Rock on Mom and Dad

3. Joefish

February 26, 2007 at 11:21 am

Me and my college buddies used to get together all the time. Most of them enjoyed smoked fish, but I’ve always found smoked turkey more satisfying.

February 26, 2007 at 1:26 pm

crystal – it makes them seem a little more normal doesn’t it?

Heather B – 😎

Joefish – I have had such great smoked fish at frat parties, I mean…what else would they be known for?

5. Jen

February 26, 2007 at 4:45 pm

:lmfao: You’d think after all this time they’d be able to admit to you what was in the box…I mean he did admit that the box existed!

I once caught my MIL smoking pot in the laundry room of their house. Talk about getting the upper hand! 😀

6. heather(anne)

February 26, 2007 at 6:31 pm

My mom used to grow it. (I actually think she still might.)

7. Janet

February 26, 2007 at 9:09 pm

It’s a pivotal moment when you first realize your parents were people before you. I can’t picture my own parents doing some of the things my generation did. But when I look at my friends now who are having kids I think to myself, if those kids only knew…:)

8. Gary

February 27, 2007 at 3:26 am

That’s a great story.

9. Geeky Dragon Girl

February 27, 2007 at 12:38 pm

I don’t think my mom ever partied or even let loose a little. Probably one of those people who was born with a stick you-know-where.