The Blanket

If you’ve ever thought I’ve held back on my blog *cough*Miss Ann*cough* then you’re about to learn a secret of mine I don’t share with many other people. Only a few close friends and family know about this secret or at least the extent of it.

The secret is: I have a security blanket. Now that in itself might not be a huge secret but with the state of what the blanket is in is the real secret. Not only is this blanket on it’s last legs but this is also the second security blanket I have worn all the way down.

My first blanket was given to me by The Grandmother before I was born I think. It was a pure white silky blanket with little flower stitching and it was for my crib. I took hold of that thing like it was a life preserver.

As a kid that blanket went everywhere I went and when I accidentally left it at a rest stop once when I was traveling with my family we had to drive all those miles back just to retrieve it. I guess you could picture me as a Linus because it was permanently attached to me.

I also did this rubbing thing with the blanket between my pointer and middle finger. I would sit and rub the edges of it and also did this thing where I curled my tongue. At age 28 I still do this and even when I don’t have my blanket with me I’m often curling my tongue. Mr. Yoda calls it “sucking your tongue” but I don’t suck, well not my tongue at least.

By my teen years I wore out the old blanket completely. I mean somehow I literally made it dissolve into nothing but one tiny little piece that I think I saved somewhere. Then my mother made me a beautiful quilt out of all my old t-shirts and memories, which she gave me when I went away to college.

Somehow that blanket turned into blanket II and now the poor thing is beyond pathetic. I’ve given the blanket back to my mom several times to repair but eventually it was just too far gone. I know I need to give it up but I don’t know how to. It’s one of the few things in the world that truly relaxes me and that’s hard to let go of.

1. heather(anne)

January 29, 2007 at 9:41 am

I have one too. And I do the same thing with my tongue. Also, I rub the blanket between my thumb, index and middle fingers. Except mine isn’t a blanket, it’s a tee shirt. A really soft tee shirt that is so ripped up and worn out from years of sleeping with it, you’d never know what it is by looking at it.

January 29, 2007 at 10:23 am

You know what truly relaxes me? Vodka.

Oh, and maybe a twirl or two in my Vietnamese spin fuck chair.

3. heather

January 29, 2007 at 10:24 am

I forgot to say…Don’t give it up. Why should you? I don’t plan on ever giving mine up.

January 29, 2007 at 10:26 am

Heather Anne – That’s weird, again I learn thru blogging that I’m not a complete freak that should be locked up….at least not because of my blanket.

Mr. Fab – Well whatever works for you!

Heather Anne – I know but it’s not going to last much longer. I only rub one section of it and that is on it’s last legs.

5. Heather B

January 29, 2007 at 11:23 am

your not weird hun…. if you had a pacifier i might think so though lol j/k

6. NYC Watchdog

January 29, 2007 at 12:29 pm

I’ve heard of a LOT worse. Security is a prescious commodity these days. So take it where you can get it.

January 29, 2007 at 12:35 pm

Heather B – I actually do have a pacifier but I don’t use it and I got it for something else :secret:

Watchdog – So true…

8. Chris

January 29, 2007 at 2:42 pm

Everyone has little things like that, you’re brave for blogging about it.

9. Janet

January 30, 2007 at 7:31 pm

A literal security blanket? I haven’t had one of those in years! I have figurative ones though so I suppose you could say I just transferred my feelings instead of abandoning them completely.

BTW, with registered posts, I hope you don’t think I’m uninterested, I just never know how to approach them!

10. Krayzee Chickadee

February 1, 2007 at 9:37 pm

Joshie has this little blanket/bear/lovie that is absolutely his ‘baby’. In fact, its name is Baby. He can’t go to sleep without it. It has that silky material all around the edge. Whenever he gets sleepy or needs comfort, he will go and get Baby and rub the silky. :heartbeat:

February 1, 2007 at 9:39 pm

Janet – Yep, a real security blanket.

KC – Maybe he got that from me :lmao:

12. The Road Less Unraveled » Right Now

January 31, 2008 at 5:29 am

[…] thinking about blanket #1 (read about it here) and whether 30 years later it’s possible to find another one. I found out recently it came […]

13. The Road Less Unraveled » Blog Archive » Breaking Our Deal

December 4, 2008 at 12:37 pm

[…] – I have a blanket, a security blanket. You don’t have to love it but you have to accept it. Sometimes Manly Man […]