Changes Someday

If you’ve seen picture of my house you’d realize it’s fairly small and has a LOT of possibilities. We have a huge yard but a good portion of that in the back in a septic tank so we can only build a little bit to the back, to the sides and in the front.

We’ve talked a lot about things we want to do and here are some of them. We have no idea when we’ll have the resources or opportunity to fix anything but for now we’re trying to work on our finances.

First is definitely the bathroom since right now it’s a stand-up shower with very little room to move. I cannot shave my legs or do much else in there now, which can be frustrating to say the least. Also the hot water heater is only 30 gallons and often runs out while taking a shower. We hope someday to make the bathroom bigger and at least make a bigger shower if not have a bathtub.

I know we’d like to install a real dishwasher because right now we have a portable dishwasher. The water heater right now is in the cabinet right next to the oven and ideally we’d love to put a dishwasher there. If we could figure out another option for the water heater it probably wouldn’t be too difficult but since we don’t have a basement it’s tricky.

We would still like to install some kind of carpeting in the 2 extra rooms, put some kind of tiling also in the kitchen and the mud room. I had no idea how expensive and how much hard work doing flooring was…it’s worse than painting. Oh and I need to still paint the office and the mud room.

As far as building more onto the house, we have no idea. I’ve brought up building a 2nd floor but he likes having it all on 1 floor. We could build off more either to the front or side ways and I’d probably do towards the front and maybe towards one side.

I love having lots of possibilities and having new projects to keep me busy.  It’s amazing to start a project and see it come alive in front of you.  We first painted the living room and as the color came to life it was so wonderful.

Time for another trip to Home Depot!!

Pictures

1. javajabber

January 13, 2007 at 3:44 pm

You have a lot of options. My first goal would be the bathroom. Could you build it out (add onto the house)? For me personally, if the bathroom is right, I’m happy.

I can’t tell from the pics, but you could make a room larger by knocking out a wall or two.

And a second floor? Definitely … if for nothing else then storage and an office.

Carpets? I’m not a big fan (all that vacuuming!), but I see on TLC, HGTV, and other programs that laying your own laminate wood flooring. It’s not too expensive for the size floors you have and it’s a lot easier than you think to lay down. Just a thought.

January 13, 2007 at 3:53 pm

We’re in the process of putting down wood in the living room and it’s nearly done.

A lot of the stuff we’d like to do is going to take lots of money so it may be at least a year off…but who knows.

Yes, the bathroom is obviously important, very much so. Little changes (that can cost a lot though) will make a huge difference.

We can’t afford to put hardwood flooring throughout the house so carpeting makes the most sense…just inexpensive stuff.

3. Jen

January 13, 2007 at 4:34 pm

We have so much we want to do with this place too. The bathroom is definitely first on my list! Next would be replacing the laminate flooring with hardwood, then fixing the fences outside….well it’s a big list!

4. Heather B

January 13, 2007 at 6:43 pm

lots of work but what you have done so far is incredible…

January 13, 2007 at 6:54 pm

Jen – Will you do the hardwood flooring yourself? If so, make sure to get the machine to do it even if you rent it. Mr. Yoda is doing it by hand and it’s taking months but then again he only does a little every weekend.

Heather B – Thanks, I’m so proud of it too. The place looks SO much better than when we got it. I can’t believe the livingroom was a peach color :yuck:

6. damien

January 13, 2007 at 11:35 pm

I hear you on the “working on our finances” comment. It sounds like you are in a good place though to be planning such exciting stuff with your home. Also, you made me feel lucky I have a dishwasher!!! Nice post.

January 14, 2007 at 9:31 am

Damien :wave: Yeah seriously, we were so excited to finally have a place with a washer and dryer instead of going to the laundromat :dazed:

January 14, 2007 at 9:44 am

You’re going to need a lot of wood.

Heh heh