My Decision To Have Surgery

I started developing really quickly and by the end of fourth grade I was already needing to wear a bra. I remember some of the girls in my private school teased me about the bra so much I eventually stopped wearing it but down the line I had no choice to start wearing them again.

When I started going to public school in 7th grade I was abnormally developed and this made me stand out. As a shy 12 year old the very last thing I wanted was to stand out and I tried to hide them as much as I could but it was pretty much impossible.

Given the confusing hormones of that age the teasing began quickly and continued to escalate daily. Boys would make remarks, a lot of them I don’t think I even fully understood. Sometimes it would get so bad I would go to the bathroom to cry but I don’t think I ever said anything to anyone.

One time this boy named Matt actually tried to touch them in front of a bunch of people and I hit him with my books. I eventually was such a mess over this that I told my reading disability tutor and she told the principal. Know what happened? He missed out on one hockey game and the sexual harassment never stopped.

It didn’t help that my breasts looked funny and it was tough being so awkward as I hit my early teens. I couldn’t go to sleep without a bra on and they caused a lot of pain when I took a shower. My breasts sagged a lot and I had to wear a leotard whenever I did Colorguard because they had to be strapped down.

By age 15 they were bigger than a DDD and when I went to the semi-formal I had to have a dress made for me because no dress would fit my breasts. I was always embarrassed and was always frustrated I couldn’t wear the clothes most girls my age wore. I was also overweight at that point, that didn’t help.

I decided at that age to finally get a breast reduction surgery and I don’t think I even had a moments doubt about it. I think I was more worried about how kids would react when they found out and if I’d get teased more. To my surprise during my surgery that kid Matt (the one who sexually harassed me for years) actually asked my then boyfriend if I was going to be okay. Makes you wonder.

To be continued…

1. heather(anne)

December 19, 2006 at 9:24 am

My son’s cousin who is 11 has very large breasts and she’s always trying to flatten them. I was the opposite. I was underweight and got teased for having a flat chest.

December 19, 2006 at 9:28 am

I was SO jealous of girls with a flat chest, I desperately wanted to be stick skinny with no curves and no boobs.

3. Leanne

December 19, 2006 at 9:53 am

I had similar problems, though mine weren’t that large until after my second child, they were pretty bad and caused a lot of upper back and shoulder pain. I will never understand why people get enlargements. I had mine reduced just a few years ago, and I felt the relief instantly.

December 19, 2006 at 9:56 am

I can understand getting a little bit of implants if you have no breasts but I can’t understand making them any bigger than a C-cup…that’s just insane.

5. Sarah

December 19, 2006 at 11:07 am

I know at least four girls I went to college with who made the same decision. I can definitely see why… though I was the girl teased for having no chest at all. I can understand reductions better than I can understand implants. For instance, my friend Kristin got it done because she couldn’t even work out without them hurting.

December 19, 2006 at 11:12 am

Sarah – for some reason what I remember most is the humiliation that came with them not as much the physical problems…though I know they were there.

7. Heather B

December 19, 2006 at 12:44 pm

I remember an associate of mine at Walmart (when I worked there) who needed to get a reduction (sure hope she got it) she had scars on her sholders from her bra straps and the weight of her breast.

Way to much, it almost seems impossible but obviously it’s not…

December 19, 2006 at 12:47 pm

What is strange is my breasts are almost back to the size they were back then but they don’t cause me nearly as much grief.

9. Joefish

December 19, 2006 at 1:01 pm

Bigger than DDD at 15? Yikes. That’s a whole lotta breast.

10. Blueyes

December 19, 2006 at 10:46 pm

Whoa, talk about overly developed…I was just a little stick figure at that age. One of my friends has been trying to get a breast reduction for years due to them being so big has caused permanent back problems and every single time the insurance has denied it…it amazes me that they have so much power and won’t allow the medically necessarily surgeries.

11. The Road Less Unraveled » My Defining Moments

August 9, 2007 at 8:14 am

[…] Breast Reduction – I felt trapped by my breasts for years until I had my reduction and it changed everything.  Just being able to not wear a bra was truly wonderful.  Then again, […]