Love Some Big Love

I haven’t come across many people who have watched the show Big Love but maybe that’s because it’s an HBO show and even I can’t afford to have that channel (although I miss it :sad:). I wasn’t sure if HBO could pull me into another show like Six Feet Under but I was wrong…I was very wrong.

Big Love stars Bill Paxton as Bill Henrickson (remember “Chet” from Weird Science) as a polygamist with 3 wives and 7 children. He grew up on the fundamentalist compound where the men there have many wives and some very young as well. He was kicked out as a teenager, which is common since the men like to get rid of the “competition.”

Bill started his whole life over and built a chain of home improvement stores. He married Barb (Jeanne Tripplehorn) and had 3 children with her. When she got cancer it was Nicki (Cloe Sevigny) from the compound who came to help out and soon became a second wife. After that Margie became the youngest wife to join the family (Ginnifer Goodwin) and that’s when they had to really start hiding their secrets.

You see this all takes place in Utah where polygamy is illegal and banned by the Mormon church so they go to great lengths to keep their family a secret. Bill also struggles with mounting debt from his store, supporting 3 wives with their children and his father-in-law Roman (Harry Dean Stanton) who won’t quite let him live his life.

I just finished the first season and it really ended with a bang. I won’t tell you how it ended in case you decide to watch it (you can get it through Netflix) but one has to wonder how they can continue on a second season.

What is so interesting about the show is seeing a kind of life I know very little about and also seeing how beautiful the love they all have is even though it’s very much a struggle most days. I can’t imagine sharing a husband and the love we have but somehow they make it work…assuming their secret doesn’t get out.

If you want to discuss this further then come see the topic in the forum.

1. Joefish

December 18, 2006 at 8:51 am

I loved Bill Paxton in Weird Science. “How about a nice greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray?”

December 18, 2006 at 8:52 am

I bet he’s still approached on the street regarding Chet (I’d put Biff, wrong movie) and will never live it down.

3. NYC Watchdog

December 18, 2006 at 9:38 am

I love this show. I can’t wait for Season 2. The ending of season 1… when she was outed but not really was a great climax and could set up a very interesting second season. I just hope they don’t disappoint like the second season of Carnivale which ended the series.

December 18, 2006 at 9:41 am

I’ve talked about the ending with so many people, if they continue to live their lives like they did they will A. be shunned B. have a downfall (ie. his business her career) and C. possibly be arrested and lose their children. I hate to see the family break up though, who knew I’d be rooting for them.

5. Gary

December 18, 2006 at 9:48 am

I don’t have HBO so I can’t watch. But I love Bill Paxton and Jeanne Tripplehorn, so I bet I would really like it.

December 18, 2006 at 9:50 am

Gary – it’s on DVD if you can rent it either thru Netflix or whatever.

7. Joefish

December 18, 2006 at 10:29 am

I think I need to add a few Weird Science quotes to my rotator.

Why, Robin, is that a yellow butt in your comments? 😉

Might I suggest a bit of CSS to neaten the display?

.comment-im-links a img {
    margin: 0 2px;
    padding: 0;
    border: none;
    vertical-align: text-top;
    }

December 18, 2006 at 10:33 am

:lmao: Hadn’t fiddled with it all yet but will give that a try.

9. Joefish

December 18, 2006 at 10:55 am

Just yesterday I started to work on the next version of that plugin. Now would be an excellent time for me to work on a better Jabber image. :whistle:

December 18, 2006 at 10:56 am

Yeah, probably. Mine is Google Talk though.

11. Joefish

December 18, 2006 at 11:04 am

Right, sure. Google Talk uses the Jabber protocol. Would you prefer a GTalk looking icon instead of a generic Jabber icon?

December 18, 2006 at 11:06 am

Yeah!! I think it would look nicer.

13. Joefish

December 18, 2006 at 11:09 am

Well, anything would look nicer than that yellow butt generic Jabber light bulb.

14. Geeky Dragon Girl

December 18, 2006 at 11:42 am

I’ve never heard of this show, but it sounds intriguing. I’d be curious to find out how the wives feel about each other. I mean, to know you’re not the only one, I couldn’t deal with that. I don’t like to share.

December 18, 2006 at 11:49 am

GDG – I don’t think I could do it either. They definitely have a lot of issues pertaining to that and a lot of jealousy. One of the wives (Sevigny) has the most issues with it bu she’s kind of a hard ass.

16. Chris

December 18, 2006 at 12:56 pm

I haven’t seen it, from the clips I saw I couldn’t figure out how the premise could sustain a whole series.

But maybe, I should give it a chance.

December 18, 2006 at 12:58 pm

If any channel can do it HBO can…give it a try.

18. Kentucky Girl

December 19, 2006 at 2:28 am

I freaking love that show. It’s one of the only reasons I am keeping HBO for now. I can’t wait for the new ones to start…is it this year or next? I can’t remember. Anyway, :heartbeat: :heartbeat: Big Love.

19. kim

December 19, 2006 at 3:30 am

i felt the same way after six feet under. but, yes, i love big love. can’t wait for season 2. curb your enthusiasm is pretty good too.

December 19, 2006 at 9:57 am

Glad I’m not the only one, can’t wait for the new season…I might even invest in HBO if we can afford it.