Girly Stuff

Nope, not talking about The TOM, no worries guys. I’m talking about makeup and jewelry, which I suppose might be worse I don’t know.

I’ve never been the type of girl to put much effort into looking nice. I don’t think I’m really a slob but I’m also not a girly girl. I rarely wear makeup or wear accessories. I’m sure part of it has to do with the fact my mother rarely does any of that and I suppose she was my female role model. I sometimes really wish I had a sister.

Anyway, so lately I have been trying to put in a little more effort and I must admit that it feels nice. I’ve been wearing necklaces and earrings more often. I’ve been putting on some eye liner, eye shadow and tinted chapstick. I even went out and got a bunch of funky socks that I’ve been coordinating with my outfits.

I don’t do all of this everyday but when I think of it I try to do it. I have been bringing makeup with me in my bag since I know I won’t remember at 6am as I’m running around the house getting ready. I rarely do cover-up since Proactiv is still doing it’s job.

I’m even getting a few compliments here and there, or at least I think they are compliments. People have mentioned I have makeup on but maybe it’s just their subtle way of telling me maybe I shouldn’t. Either way, these little things make me feel a little more confident and a little confidence goes a long way.

1. Star

December 1, 2006 at 1:15 pm

Hi there! I know what you mean. My mother very odd about makeup though. She applies too much and there’s that line between her neck and face and makes her look clowny. She would never listen to me though. Luckily I learned the tricks of makeup application from a BeautiControl seminar and my makeup routine is 5 minutes flat. I used to be anti make up for a while and then I started wearing more and more and really taking the time with my clothes and it really totally makes a different person in me. You should read the beginning section of “Why I Wore Lipstick to My Masectomy” It’s hilarious and recants some of those emotions about lipstick and makeup and she has a funny quirk about her writing that’s refreshing. Anyways, try also doing your nails and putting nail polish on. You’ll love looking at them washing your hands and typing.

December 1, 2006 at 1:32 pm

Hi Star :wave:

I did see that movie, it was pretty good.

I would like to have my nails nicer since I have really nice looking nails but mine break and chip so easy it just never seems worth it. If I can find a nail polish that doesn’t chip for a week then I’m on board :thumbsup:

3. Star

December 1, 2006 at 2:20 pm

Hmmm.. Try Avon. They have this new paste on nail polish. I have two packages of it but am scared it for some reason. There are also long wearing and fast drying formulas I have found to be pretty good quality for their pricing. There’s these two colors i just LOVE! One is called French Tip Lilac and the other is a like a sheer pinky tone.. can’t remember the name;

4. Miss Ann

December 1, 2006 at 2:54 pm

If I don’t wear makeup, people ask me if I’m ok. Course, when I was working and called in sick, all I had to do was go in the next day with no makeup and everybody thought I really was sick.

December 1, 2006 at 2:58 pm

Very smart :ohgreatone:

6. Barb

December 1, 2006 at 6:39 pm

This past summer, when I was finally coming out of my depression, I took more interest in my appearance. When I was a party girl way back when I wore much more, but now, when I remember or if I feel like it, I just wear some mascara (it makes me look more awake!) and tinted lip balm.

I used to wear rings, but I put on a ton of weight from Lamictal, so I had to stop wearing them because they no longer fit. Some of them still don’t, but I’ve been taking a metalsmithing class and making my own jewelry, so I’ve started wearing earrings, neclaces, and rings again. It’s especially nice knowing that I made them! :cheesy:

December 1, 2006 at 7:20 pm

Oooooh…you make stuff? Niiiice. I’ve been on such a mission lately to find cool (but inexpensive) rings, neclaces and bracelets. It’s fun and not too expensive…if you are picky like me.

8. Barb

December 1, 2006 at 7:25 pm

I’ve been promising to post my projects since last summer when I first took an intro class, but our digital camera’s zoom function sucked ass. Then it died! :banghead:

I just took an entire roll the other day, but we’re waiting ’til late Saturday night or Sunday morning to have it developed–I’ve got hockey games tonight and tomorrow, and Brian’s the “unofficial” photographer. Sometimes Walgreens has deals where they’ll develop two rolls and the third one’s free. :thumbsup:

December 1, 2006 at 7:27 pm

Sweet, can’t wait to see them! :clap:

10. Barb

December 1, 2006 at 7:27 pm

Oh, yeah–and just because I took the pictures with a regular camera, there’s still no guarantee that they’ll turn out. 🙁

December 1, 2006 at 7:32 pm

I have faith…worst case scenario you can just describe them to us in detail :cheesy:

12. Barb

December 1, 2006 at 7:42 pm

Robin, thanks for making me laugh out loud. It’s been a horrible day and I really needed that. :hug:

December 1, 2006 at 7:44 pm

Barb – you are welcome…it was nice chatting with you…today has dragged on FOR E VER :dazed:

14. Tara

December 1, 2006 at 7:55 pm

I’m not on their payroll or anything, but if you don’t like make-up, like me, but want to wear some sometimes, like I do, try philosophy products. It’s the anti-make-up make-up.