That Dumb Feeling

Ever open up to somebody about something that’s been bothering you for a while?  Ever realize how dumb you sound amidst letting out your feelings and wish you could just bottle it down where it belongs?  Ever say something to someone even though all along you knew if you brought it up you’d feel like the an idiot?

Yeah…I gotta learn not to tell everyone every little thing.

November 22, 2006 at 4:39 pm

Yep. I think we’ve all been there. I need to be better about keeping my own counsel in those situations.

2. Lisa

November 22, 2006 at 8:27 pm

God, I do this all of the time. I’m an idiot. :willy_nilly:

November 22, 2006 at 8:33 pm

Glad I’m not the only one :twitchy:

4. Tara

November 22, 2006 at 9:39 pm

I do that, too. My therapist said I need to learn when to edit. 🙂

5. miss_sweets

November 22, 2006 at 10:00 pm

“How many times have you tried to talk to someone about something that matters to you, tried to get get them to see it the way you do? And how many of those times have ended with you feeling bitter, resenting them for making you feel like your pain doesn’t have any substance after all? Like when you’ve split up with someone, and try to communicate the way you feel, because you need to feel that somebody understands just how pissed off and frightened you feel. The problem is, they never do. ‘Plenty more fish in the sea’, they’ll say, or ‘You’re better off without them’, or “Do you want some of these potato chips?’ They never really understand, because they haven’t been there, every day, every hour. They don’t know the way things have been, the way that it’s made you, the way it has structured your world. They’ll never realise that someone who makes you feel bad may be the person you need most in the world. They don’t understand the history, the background, don’t know the pillars of memory that hold you up. Ultimately, they don’t know you well enough, and they never can. Everyone is alone in their world, because everybody’s life is different. You can send people letters, and show them photos, but they can never come to visit where you live. Unless you love them. And then they can burn it down.” Only Forward – Michael Marshall Smith

November 22, 2006 at 10:32 pm

:wow: Thanks for that, several parts of that meant a lot to me.

7. Maureen

November 23, 2006 at 12:19 pm

You either need to learn to edit (I like that 😀 ) or learn to not care about the people that don’t care or don’t want to hear. If you edit too much then you become an island, all alone. And what a waste that would be of all of the thousands of people who might ‘get it’, might understand, might help you grow as you help them to grow and as you both enjoy it all together (((hug)))