The Furkids Are Winning

First off they had basically been inside for over a week. They had a brief trip outside last Friday when we had the guy come to install the carpet. Now, I can’t say for sure but I think they might be rebelling against being kept indoors.

Pilot has been crying a lot, just walking around crying. Sometimes he’ll just meow asking for something (like water or food) but this is an upset cry. I’ve also noticed he’ll get all hyped up sometimes and run back and forth across the house really fast. He’ll jump over furniture and slide across the floor with a crazy look in his eye.

One of the good things about them being outside is they spent less time destroying our house inside. We just can’t seem to get Pilot to stop scratching the (new) sofa even though we have several scratching pads. We put up this sticky tape stuff that is suppose to stop the scratching but Aurora has pulled it off.

See Aurora has this thing with plastic: if you leave a plastic bag on the floor she will try to eat it…apparently same goes for anti-cat scratching tape. I swear they plot against us while they are stuck inside all day and we’re at work.

As I see it, so far the furkids are winning. They will be official winners when/if we breakdown and start letting them outside again.

Furkids = 1 Us = 0

1. blueyes

November 20, 2006 at 9:12 am

awww, it could be they are just really hyper lol Mine would tear through the house quite frequently and of course the dog would follow suit for kicks because she thought it was a game.

Now this might not help ya’ll with smells but you could try some vinegar where they are scratching cuz they don’t like that smell either.

2. NYC Watchdog

November 20, 2006 at 9:31 am

They are definately more hyper because of their lack of outdoor activity… but like any child they require firmness in the decision not to let them out.

Of course it would help if they understood human and we spoke meow. So maybe a 15 minute walk wouldn’t be such a bad idea.

3. Sarah

November 20, 2006 at 11:55 am

It tooks months to get my cat to scratch a post instead of pulling up the carpet. And now he tears the post apart and leaves bits of yarn and rope all over. My parents have an outdoor cat that was an indoor cat for the first couple years of his life. It was tough to manage, so finally we gave up. :rolleyes:

November 20, 2006 at 2:24 pm

I think if our house was a little bigger I wouldn’t feel so bad.

5. Chris

November 20, 2006 at 2:44 pm

Can you train outdoor cats to become indoor cats? Do they get used to it eventually?

November 20, 2006 at 2:47 pm

I think eventually they adjust to whatever their around. Pilot was an outdoor cat before we got him and then we kept him indoors for about 3 years. Aurora was an indoor cat from day 1 but she always wanted to go outside so badly.

7. Barb

November 20, 2006 at 5:44 pm

NYC Watchdog is right–you have to stand firm. This isn’t a contest between “you” and “them.” As cat parents, you make the rules. Remember that tip from CatAge I sent you? Right now, they’re training you. It should be the other way around.

8. Miss Ann

November 20, 2006 at 5:51 pm

Ours don’t go out and only Rosey has escaped. I have a hassock in front of my chair. the leap 10 feet from the condo to it and ride it like a freaking surfboard across the floor.

They are into everything. there is no such thing as being firm with cats. They own you and the sooner you get with that program the better.

One of the things I enjoyed about Fred being an indoor-outdoor cat…cleaner litterbox. that ruled! :twitchy:

9. jane

November 20, 2006 at 9:05 pm

EARTH TO JANE: When Robin says it’s her “little boy”,
    the scratching post is a clear indicator he’s not a human!

Oh boy, so I’m slow. I just now got that it’s a cat.
    My son’s dog has been doing the same thing. Crying. he wants to exercise & run & walk for hours on end.
    Maybe they’re just going thru a weird time of year like us humans are?
    I hope things calm down with both of your babies.

November 21, 2006 at 8:49 am

Jane, you are too funny :lmao: