Marching Band Reunion

My good ol marching band in high school is having a reunion and I’m way more excited about this than my regular 10 year high school reunion. I never cared about most of my high school class but the people I was with day in and day out was the marching band :rock:

I loved marching band! I was in the colorguard and even though way back in the day the colorguard wasn’t always considered a part of the marching band I think the years I was there we made a pretty big impact. My sophomore year I think the colorguard doubled in size and stepped it up a notch. Although the ugly white dresses we wore for all 3 years I was in it sucked on so many levels.

Colorguard was a huge part of my life and I believe is a big part of who I am now. I can’t tell you how hard it was at times and I can still remember how it felt to perform a kick ass show and have a whole stadium giving you a standing ovation. In my senior year the colorguard’s very last performance in finals was nearly flawless and one judge gave us a score of like 98 I think.

I made such wonderful friends and even met my first two loves through marching band. All those hours I spent on the field, in the band room and listening to Mr. Bunten yell “ONE MORE TIME” will forever be ingrained in my heart. The performances that we did in pouring rain and even the parades we did in the freezing cold.

What a time it all was, what a time.

1. Gemini

November 13, 2006 at 2:01 pm

That is cool! When is it?

2. Chris

November 13, 2006 at 3:36 pm

It’s nice that you have a reunion to go back and revisit the ‘good ol’ days’. I don’t think our school have a reunion and I don’t think I would go if they did.

3. Krayzee Chickadee

November 13, 2006 at 5:17 pm

I, too, remember marching band with great affection. That was one of the most awesome times of my life.

The only reason my oldest is staying in band now (she really dislikes it) is so she can be in the flag line.

I hope you have a great time at your reunion! :thumbsup:

November 13, 2006 at 7:39 pm

I was in band in junior high. I played trumpet. I was horrible. In fact, when we were in parades I would only fake playing.

Please don’t judge me.

November 13, 2006 at 8:34 pm

KC – I forgot you did that :rock: I’m so excited for A…I hope she does!!!!

Mr. Fabulous – I won’t judge, I can’t play any instruments.

6. Barb

November 13, 2006 at 10:38 pm

I didn’t start playing percussion in 5th grade, like everyone else–I started in 7th when I joined the local cadet drum corps. So when I got into high school, of course I joined marching band! But the jerk of a band director and stupid political crap really turned me off. I’m glad you had a great experience, though!

7. jane

November 14, 2006 at 1:14 am

It’s so nice to read about how you loved marching band & what a difference it’s made in your life. So often with blogging, we write about how negative things impacted us. This is like a breath of fresh air.

8. TJ

November 14, 2006 at 8:38 am

I was in the chess club :dunno:

November 14, 2006 at 8:41 am

Barb – It can get really bad and sometimes it drove me crazy but in the end it was always worth it. It was something I was good at and worked REALLY hard at. I miss it in some ways :kickcan:

Jane – Yeah I feel like I’ve been super negative lately, trying to change that.

TJ – Why am I not surprised :giggle: