Jealousy and Resentment

Where do you think it comes from?  I think it boils down to the person feeling the emotions for the most part.  I think it usually comes from thinking so badly about yourself and feeling not good enough.

Why compare yourself?  Probably because you have such a low opinion of who you are that you need to constantly measure who you are to another person.  I see jealousy and resentment to be very destructive to any relationship.

Ever feel this way about anyone and how did you resolve it?

1. Miss Ann

November 12, 2006 at 4:17 pm

Jealousy no. Resentment yes.

I handled it by dumping the asshole.

2. Gemini

November 13, 2006 at 1:59 pm

yes… I guess that I have felt this way before. The only way that I was able to get past it was both talk to the person about it or just let it go. I think that a small amount of Jealousy is ok… I don’t believe that I have ever resented anyone because of my Jealousy though…

3. Tara

November 13, 2006 at 2:38 pm

I decided I was enough. I was good the way I was. And I forgave him and me for everything (especially myself — resentment to me is more disappointment in one’s self, leading to the dreaded “I should have”s).

4. Geeky Dragon Girl

November 13, 2006 at 4:07 pm

I think some amount of jealousy is good, because it means you care. But there’s gets to be a point when the jealousy is unreasonable and trust issues are involved. That’s when you start getting into the whole self esteem thing.

November 13, 2006 at 4:13 pm

missann – Nope, nothing good about resentment.

Gemini – I think it is usually more about personal demons than anything.

Tara – Yes, you have to be enough.

GDG – You are right, it gets to a bad point and then it just breaks down from there.

6. Barb

November 13, 2006 at 10:34 pm

Jealousy/Envy is one of my biggest character flaws and one of those topics I’ve been meaning to write those private posts about. I was, and to an extent am still, jealous of my sister who’s 8 years younger than me. I was unplanned; she and my younger brother (by 10 years) were. At some point, and this is probably just a few years ago, I finally realized that when the changes that occurred in my life after her birth, weren’t her fault. She certainly didn’t ask to be born. For all the hell I put her through, I’m really lucky that she’s understanding and patient.

I think you’re absolutely right that it boils down to low (or no) self-esteem.

November 14, 2006 at 8:46 am

Barb – That’s hard, I think it can also be a lot tougher being the older sibling. I too was unplanned while my brother was but I’m not sure that ever bothered me. I’m glad you worked past it.