Injured Raccoon!!

In my backyard!

Leg really bad and it can’t walk!

Man installing my carpet!

Called Police, Wildlife rescue, veterinary and animal rescue…nobody helping!!

Fuck!

11:42 am – Aurora and Pilot are inside and safe. No word from anyone.

1:47 pm – raccoon is still alive but still have yet to get anyone to help.

Injured Leg Poor Raccoon

2:21 pm – Well it’s still alive but doesn’t look good. The only place I could find was the local animal rescue but they don’t do wild life :sigh: The woman said she was under the weather because her father just died. Although she offered to call the police to have them “put it out of it’s misery.” What else am I suppose to do? It’s suffering.

3:00 pm – The local police came but didn’t shoot it.  He actually felt it would be more in-humane since the kinds of bullets he has don’t tend to kill that easily.  So he took a big stick and kind of nudged it back in the woods.  Is that better or worse?  I don’t know but at least I don’t have to worry about any pets now.  I still feel bad and I hope the little buddy either gets better or stops suffering at least.

What an insane day!

1. Leanne

November 10, 2006 at 12:25 pm

I do hope you can find a local rehabilitator. It’s depressing that they’re given such little value, most coons just considered a source of rabies, and that’s it.

I bet your local city animal rescue would be happy to “eliminate” him.

2. crystal

November 10, 2006 at 1:08 pm

That sucks. I’ve had them in my yards before, but never injured. Maybe try telling animal control that you’re afriad it’s going to hurt someone will get them there faster, as opposed to taking a stance of it being hurt and in pain?

November 10, 2006 at 2:55 pm

I’ve called everywhere. I’ve told them I was worried for my cats and that I didn’t know if there was something else wrong with it. Nada. It’s still alive though.

4. Krayzee Chickadee

November 10, 2006 at 8:55 pm

Nothing like a lame raccoon coming into your yard to add interest to your day! Wowzers. Sad that there’s not anyone who can really take care of it. :sigh:

5. Gary

November 10, 2006 at 10:53 pm

Animals like that scare me a bit because I always wonder if they might have rabies or something.

Thanks for the tribute. I’m really glad you like by blog. You know I like yours. You always have something interesting to say.

November 10, 2006 at 11:12 pm

Gary – You are welcome.

Well we’re pretty sure it didn’t have rabies because of how it acted. It was pretty much just in pain and maybe scared.

7. Kentucky Girl

November 11, 2006 at 4:35 am

Aww…I hope the raccoon goes peacefully.

8. Chris

November 11, 2006 at 6:27 am

It’s horrible to see an animal in pain, especially if there’s nothing you can do about it. I can’t believe none of those people were any help, that’s what they’re there for!!

9. Blueyes

November 11, 2006 at 11:44 am

Ugh, I can’t stand any animal in pain and you’d think you could have gotten someone out there to help.

10. Barb

November 13, 2006 at 10:27 pm

Oh, no! Poor thing! I hope he survived or at least made it over the Rainbow Bridge peacefully.

November 14, 2006 at 8:48 am

I’m sad to say he didn’t make it.

12. Barb

November 14, 2006 at 2:52 pm

Oh, no…well, I’m sure he’s much better off.