Bad Mommy

If you have children I suppose one way or another someone is going to have a problem with the way you parent.  Unfortunately it’s the same way when your children have 4 legs and use a litterbox :dunno:  Although not quite to the same degree.

Everyone now knows about Aurora’s emotional problems and they are not getting better.  People seem to think her going outside is what is causing it and if I were a good mother I would keep them inside.

It’s tough, because for one thing they really love the outdoors and flourish the moment they step out the door.  Because of being outdoors Pilot has already lost some weight (he was getting chubby) and you can just see how much being in nature agrees with them…at least when they are outside.

On a forum someone told me that it’s possible Aurora is being harrassed by another cat outside and taking it out on Pilot in the house.  Sadly, this does make sense:sigh:   It really seems she’s “re-directing” her anger towards him for what appears like no reason.

I’ve also done a lot of researching online about what the problem could be and it appears like outside is the problem.  I guess I knew it all along but keeping them inside seemed so drastic.  We’ve kept them inside (other than Aurora sneaking out once) since Thursday I think and Aurora is already constantly whining and throwing herself against the door :rolleyes:

When the cats go outside I think the smells change and that confuses Aurora.  I read that the most important sense for a cat is smell, which is why they leave their sense everywhere.  If they get 10 feet away from home and can’t smell it then they will think they are lost…even if they can see the house.

So I guess Pilot smells differently and to her he’s now a stranger in her house.  I’m so sad because they both look so depressed right now.  I had no idea being a furmommy would be so tough.

1. Heather B

November 5, 2006 at 12:32 pm

Don’t know what to tell ya on that hun

2. Miss Ann

November 5, 2006 at 4:24 pm

My late cat, Fred, was an indoor-outdoor kitty. She lived to be 14 and showed no ill effects from going out. She would NOT go out in the winter, though. That cracked me up. She was no fool!

It depends on where you live. If I lived somewhere remote, I might let the cats out. Still, when we were in the middle of nowhere MN, Catzilla never went out. She was the kitty that started me on no outside ever. I’m not sure why.

November 5, 2006 at 4:43 pm

Miss Ann – We live in a very remote area and it’s really a perfect area for cats to have fun. If only Aurora would stop getting all psycho.

4. Barb

November 5, 2006 at 8:55 pm

Though I’m not an advocate of letting cats outside, I certainly don’t condemn cat parents who allow it. And who knows? If we lived in a completely rural area, we might let ours out. I just wouldn’t want to have to deal with all of the rats and birds that I know these four would bring home.

Anyway, the person from the forum has a good point–maybe there is a dominant neighbor kitty or something who doesn’t like Aurora (also dominant) encroaching on his/her territory. I wish I had some kitty advice for you, but I don’t. Good luck with the situation.

5. Miss Ann

November 6, 2006 at 12:20 am

I forgot to mention, our vet has indoor/outdoor cats. Really.

November 6, 2006 at 8:27 am

I think it’s tough to win in this kind of situation. Indoor cats are safe but they miss out on a lot. Outdoor cats get to have a little more of a life but it may not last as long and they could get hurt.

Damn cats :rant: