The Stalker

I don’t think I ever really explained the stalker I had in high school so I figure I’ll do it now. At this point it seems to surreal it’s almost like it happened to someone else. I just don’t understand why anyone would stalk me :dunno:

I was in the last few months of high school and as many of you know it can be a tough time as it is with such a huge life change on the horizon. I was dating my then boyfriend NIN and was involved (as I was most of high school) with the marching band.

I think it started with a phone call from a friend of my ex-boyfriend Squid who was a freshman and in the marching band as well. She called to ask me if I’d ever slept with Squid and I think I told her it was none of her business. I couldn’t figure out why she was asking me when it was at that point like two years since I’d dated him and he was already with someone else.

I then started getting letters in the mail. The letters were written very carefully with no return address or name. They usually called me names such as slut, cunt or bitch. She even went so far as to send a letter to my then boyfriend to ask him if he knew what a slut his girlfriend was and if I gave good blowjobs.

Not that it matters but at that point I was actually pretty unexperienced and in the great scheme of things hadn’t done much sexually. It was all so bizarre to me. I wasn’t popular and I really wasn’t the kind of girl that stood out. The only thing I could imagine was she seemed to be jealous I dated Squid and probably that I was currently dating NIN.

Her letters often noted certain days she planned to kill me. She once said something about it being Good Friday and that it would be my last. I actually had police outside my senior prom because in a letter she threatened to kill me there. At that point (after about 15 letters) they would go straight to the police and I didn’t even read them. I’m sure it would have soured my prom experience if I’d known.

I also started getting phone calls from guys saying a note was left on their car to “call [number] for a good time.” I would sometimes be woken up on a Saturday morning with a call like that. Just before I left for my graduation I got the last call from some old guy telling me about a note left on his car but at least he was nice about it.

I can’t tell you how many times I burst into tears because of all this. Not because I really feared for my life but because someone put in such an effort to harass me. I couldn’t understand why I deserved this and it really caused a lot of emotional distress for the last few months of high school for me.

Believe it or not she was never caught. I told the police who I believe it was and they brought her in. They told me she went on and on about how wonderful and beautiful I was. I told them I thought it was a bit strange she had such strong feelings for me and barely knew me. Oh and none of the letters had any finger prints on them :sigh:

So I went on with the rest of my life and filed it in the “crazy shit” chapter of my life. After talking to some people who knew her she had a lot of mental problems and had actually been in a mental institution at one point. I also found out I wasn’t the only one to ever get a letter like that, I was just the only one at the time to get so many for such a long period of time.

Thinking about it now I can’t believe I didn’t fight it harder but I suppose nobody really took it seriously. Good thing her bark was worse than her bite but I really hope she never actually ended up hurting anyone.

1. heather(anne)

November 2, 2006 at 11:21 am

That’s scary. You know, if you were in highschool today, and she did that, it woould be taken so much more seriously.

November 2, 2006 at 11:29 am

That is SO true Heather, so true. Kinda weird to think at one point my life was a bit like a CSI episode…without any dead bodies.

3. Maureen

November 2, 2006 at 12:58 pm

Truly bizarre. I hope her life got better after that. That must have been so frustrating & scary at the time

November 2, 2006 at 1:07 pm

Maureen – It was very frustrating and very scary. I was having regular nervous breakdowns especially when I got the letters in the mail. I even went to stay with my grandparents in NY for a couple days just to get away from it all, but that certainly didn’t help. My dad didn’t understand why I was freaking out since obviously she wasn’t going to hurt me. I guess it’s one of those things that you really can’t understand how it feels unless YOU are being personally attacked for no reason.

Erik’s always said that there is something about me that brings these kinds of things on. For some reason the kind of people that want to attack people on that kind of level are drawn to me and maybe I help make it more fun. Maybe if I cared less it wouldn’t happen.

Things did get better. Actually about a month after that my boyfriend broke up with me and that was very hard too. At that point I’d pushed away all my friends in the emotional state I was in. Then I went to college and it was a HUGE turning point in my life.

5. Krayzee Chickadee

November 2, 2006 at 5:43 pm

You know, I had never heard this story. It sounds like this crazy person put a lot of thought into what she was doing if there were no fingerprints to be found. Too bad we couldn’t have done a DNA analysis on the saliva used to lick the envelopes/stamps (can you tell I watch too much CSI?)
    I’m glad that it’s over for you now. :heartbeat: ya!

6. Joefish

November 2, 2006 at 6:40 pm

I’ll probably never understand what drives people to do this sort of thing. My stalked story isn’t nearly as creepy as yours.

Kinda weird to think at one point my life was a bit like a CSI episode… without any dead bodies.

You mean “as far as you know.”

November 2, 2006 at 6:41 pm

KC – Yeah, CSI has all the answers I think.

Joefish – I hear a “duh duh duuuuuuuh”

8. Barb

November 3, 2006 at 8:12 pm

That’s a creepy story, all right. What a psycho. I hope that she got the help she obviously needed, and at least you didn’t get hurt, well, physically. I’m sorry you had to go through all of that emotional crap, though. It’s already a tough period of time in a person’s life.

9. The Road Less Unraveled » Kittens Are My Crack

May 17, 2007 at 8:40 am

[…] you want to read about The Stalker I did post about it before.  I still have one of the letters she sent, the one to my then […]

10. Heather B

August 2, 2007 at 6:28 pm

That is some scary shit there girlfriend…. thank you for referring me to this post, sorry i didn’t see it sooner… :kiss: :hug:

August 2, 2007 at 6:29 pm

Of course, it’s a big strange part of me that anyone I’m friends with probably should know. It was so long ago and so surreal that it’s hard to believe it wasn’t some figment of my imagination.

12. Heather B

August 2, 2007 at 6:57 pm

I feel the same way about some of the things in my past, hard to believe i actually lived through them

13. Frankie

December 29, 2007 at 8:01 am

Robin I seem to attract them too. I know exactly how you feel. You get the ones with more bark then bite and I seem to get the ones with more bite. In high school my then ex boyfriend who is the father of my child stalked me and called me over and over and over again. There was a point where the cops actually found him and found he had a hit list and explosives in his house. I was #2 on the list. He was arrested thank god. But each day I remember hes out now and you just never know what people are going to do.

I think in total I have had 3 stalkers that I know of. My ex, someone they never caught pretty sure it was a patient of mine, and now a coworker who has actually made 2 attempts on my life.

Nervous brake downs are normal for me this month. I feel we might share the same wave here. Now that I have the new stalker the love of my life left me at the beginning of the month. Or at least hes not talking to me so I’m taking it as he left me.

People are just fucked in the head. :fu:

December 29, 2007 at 9:39 am

That’s insane Frankie, wow. I hope you’ve told the cops about the new stalker? I understand about how hard it is for people in your life as I was a mess when mine was around. I would break down all the time and it was hard on my then boyfriend. I’m sorry he’s having trouble, maybe he’ll come around. Make sure you take care of yourself.