A Realization

We go through life trying to figure out what is wrong with our friends and our family. We try to cut out the people that hurt us or at least do our best to avoid the hurt. We try to find a way to make everyday a little better than the last.

Then you realize the possibility that it all boils down to yourself. That maybe while everyone else might be screwed up, what you have to worry about is your place in all of it.(pull) We can’t change anyone else but we can help ourselves how we deal with certain aspects of life(/pull).

It’s a lot easier to ponder what is wrong with others than what is wrong with yourself. What if someone says to you maybe you just need to take care of yourself and work on making you happy because you would think after several decades of living with yourself you would know how to make you happy. Right?

I guess it’s really true, you really can’t love anyone else unless you love yourself. You can’t love other people in hopes they’ll fill a hole inside you that you can’t seem fill yourself. Is this something anyone really figures out or do we just keep searching for whatever is missing until the day we die?

And just maybe some of the hurtful parts of your life are there because you chose them. Some part of you chose it maybe because of how you feel about yourself. Just maybe, you are the one who ultimately treats you badly.

1. Maureen

November 1, 2006 at 10:45 am

:thumbsup:

And, once you get that, then when you give love to others, it makes you love yourself more. Weirdly wonderful.

Go to http://www.watchourmovies.com/ & scroll down to the links to “The Missing Piece Meets the Big O”. Figure out how to download it and watch it. It’s so worth it!

2. Tara

November 1, 2006 at 2:26 pm

It’s an interesting day when you realize that you are alone, no matter how many people you’re with, that no matter what other people do, if it bothers you, you’re the problem.

Be kind to yourself and watch the kindness to others grow.

November 1, 2006 at 2:27 pm

Thanks Tara and Maureen :hug:

4. heather(anne)

November 1, 2006 at 3:06 pm

You read my mind. I was cleaning and thinking about a futrue post about certain family members who suck and then I started to think that I need to not focus on how much they suck, but instead focus on why I allow them to affect me. What am I missing that allows other people to dictate how I feel about myself? And my future post is something entirely different now.

November 1, 2006 at 3:09 pm

Heather – weird you were thinking it too. Glad I helped with some insight. It’s weird to look back on my whole life and how much time I’ve wasted on some friends.

6. TJ

November 1, 2006 at 3:56 pm

This is one of those life lessons that is so easy to grasp, but so hard to implement. Write this down somewhere (oh wait, you did) and remember it as best you can.

7. TJ

November 1, 2006 at 3:58 pm

oh yeah, and pole dance. don’t forget to pole dance. :heartbeat:

November 1, 2006 at 4:04 pm

Always such great advice TJ :thumbsup:

9. Chris

November 1, 2006 at 6:11 pm

I find that being with my family causes thoughts like that because we don’t really get on as well as other families seem to, and maybe it’s that I’m jealous of others or that I’m just not sure why I should be any different but I tend to end up feeling disatisfied and like I’m letting people down.

Making others happy is easy as pie but making yourself happy is hard to do. It’s an important step to realise that making yourself happy is what you need to do. I’m getting there slowly. Hope you are too.

10. Gary

November 1, 2006 at 8:14 pm

I like myself a whole lot better than I used to. I guess I just figured out it was a good idea to lower my standards. 🙂

11. Heather B

November 2, 2006 at 12:36 pm

I used to say such horrible things about my self, now i’m learning to say forget it and just love me for me 🙂