Stressed Out

Happy Couple I’m not sure if I mentioned but the vet told us Aurora’s problems are probably because she’s “stressed” and she’s also of “mature” age now (3 years old). It’s driving me crazy though and even when we all leave her alone she still hisses at Pilot whenever he gets within a few feet of her.

Pilot doesn’t even do anything and even when she hisses at him he doesn’t fight back, just looks at her.

They were never close by any means but they used to have the occasional sweet moment when they’d clean each other or something. They used to play fight too, which doesn’t happen anymore.

They haven’t been the same, or well Aurora hasn’t, since we moved to the house. I don’t know if it’s the fact they are now outdoors cats but I hope this mood of Aurora’s will pass eventually.

1. Miss Ann

October 28, 2006 at 11:50 am

outdoors has a ton to do with it but also it seems like she’s the dominant cat.

Rosey hisses at everyone else…no biggie. Sometimes she grooms and plays with the others.

If the difference is the new place, then the difference is you let them out.

October 28, 2006 at 12:54 pm

Yeah, sucks to be me. Since it’s getting cold I’d rather keep them in anyway but they bolt out the moment I open the door :rolleyes:

3. Blueyes

October 28, 2006 at 12:55 pm

Is she fixed? That might be some of the problem too. That happened with another cat I had had for a short period of time before giving her away.

October 28, 2006 at 12:58 pm

She’s fixed.

She’s always been a bitchy and difficult cat. She’s never liked other people and always hated being picked up. It’s just now she’s turned vicious :whosnext:

5. Barb

October 29, 2006 at 1:09 am

Like Miss Ann Thrope said, Aurora is definitely the dominant cat. I’ve just come across your blog through BE, so I don’t know how long it’s been since you moved, but that will definitely have something to do with it, and it’ll take time for them to adjust, sometimes even a few months.

Maybe just keeping them inside again might make a difference. Good luck!

And do you know about the Friday Ark? You should link to them when you post pics of the furbabies and they’ll list you on the site! 🙂

October 29, 2006 at 8:54 am

Hi Barb :wave:

Idealy at this point I would like to keep them inside but the moment I open the door they bolt out. I’m really unsure what to do.

The funny thing is Pilot is definitely the really tough one who kills mice and gets in fights. Still, when she swats at him he doesn’t do anything :dunno:

We’ve been in the new house since July although we’ve moved 3 other times before this house but they were apartments. This is the first time with us they’ve been outside.

7. Barb

October 29, 2006 at 11:35 am

Our cat Angelo is a bolter. Fortunately, we live in an apartment so he only makes it into the hallway. The back porch in our apartment is enclosed, thankfully.

As cat parents we sometimes often have to do “ridiculous” things. If you don’t want them running outside, it’s up to you to stop this behavior. Whenever you enter or exit your home, open the door just enough to let yourself in, sideways. Ridiculous, I know. They’ll still try to get past, so block them with a leg. It’ll take a while, but they’ll figure it out eventually and give up.

July really wasn’t that long ago, and a house is so much different from an apartment. Well, it’s bigger for one thing, and now that they’re allowed outside, that’s different, too. I think Aurora will still need more time to adjust.

Our non-dominant cats, except for Hopper because she’s dominant, too, but that’s a story for my own blog ;), don’t always respond to Angelo the Bolter’s hostilities. Angelo will actually plant himself at one end of the sort of long hallway that connects the front and rear ends of our apartment. Whenever someone walks past, he swats them! Even if they don’t even glance at him!

It’s also where the litterboxes are located, so if Hee Seop wants to go down the hallway, he’ll actually walk on the edges of the litterboxes closest to the wall, just to avoid Angelo! Crazy cats.

October 29, 2006 at 11:55 am

They ARE crazy.

When I come home believe it or not I barely open the door (quietly too) and try to squeeze through. Pilot will be the first to bolt through and the other day I tried to stop him with my leg and boy is he strong. He’s obsessed with the outdoors, really LOVES it. He hunts and scowls and runs like crazy. The vet even noticed he lost a couple pounds and they thought he might be getting overweight before.

I could potentially keep Aurora inside despite her complaining but I think if Pilot keeps going outside she’s still going to be pissed.

9. Barb

October 29, 2006 at 12:35 pm

Yeah, that sounds like a tough situation. Maybe if you’re going out for just a bit, like to the store or something, you can lock Pilot in a room?

I think you’re right, though–if Pilot gets to go outside and Aurora doesn’t, her attitude may get worse.

October 29, 2006 at 12:38 pm

We think it has a lot to do with maybe he smells differently now so he doesn’t smell like Pilot…the roommate she was used to.

11. heather(anne)

October 29, 2006 at 4:20 pm

I have four cats and one, Daisy, is the dominant cat. She hisses and chases the other cats. She even growls and hisses at people who come over if she doesen’t know them. But, she’s very loving toward my son and even sleeps with him every night!

Cats are creatures of habit. They’re set in their ways and when something changes, it stresses them out (and pisses them off!) Aurora will adjust and make new routines and habits. It just takes some cats longer than others.