Protein and Me

Protein and me have never had a very good relationship. Generally I enjoy chicken, steak and I definitely love lobster but for some reason though I’m just not very good at eating it. Put a plate of chicken and rice in front of me and there is a good chance I will eat mostly just the rice.

I’ve never loved meat and I think growing up I mostly tolerated it. When I was a senior in high school I read the book The Jungle and suddenly became a vegetarian. When I went off to college after that I gained my freshman fifteen because I lived off of cereal, French fries, pasta and pizza.

After a while I started craving a steak, probably because of lack of nutrients I was getting. Not only do I not like meat all that much (I could probably live without it almost entirely) but I’m not a fan of beans either :dunno:

On a daily basis trying to eat enough protein is such a task and I probably throw away most of the meat I cook from going bad. Something about meat sometimes makes me sick to think of eating it and I’m not sure why.

I try to eat cheese and eggs whenever I can since those are the only forms of protein I actually like. If I go out to eat I try to order steak, chicken or seafood because when I’m in a restaurant it doesn’t bother me.

I’m not sure how I ever went for a period of time cutting out carbohydrates :duh:

1. Ethel

October 5, 2006 at 8:53 am

Two things:
    1. I have the same problem. I’m alright with chicken, but that’s about it.
    2. Apparently, I woke up a 12 year old today, because I can’t stop giggling because of all the eating meat talk. Hee hee. Meat. :lmao:

October 5, 2006 at 8:56 am

Ethel – :giggle: I didn’t even notice that :blush:

3. Maureen

October 5, 2006 at 2:49 pm

With all of the Boca & Morningstar meat substitutes :giggle: available these days, I don’t have a hard time at all finding enough protein for my vegetarian diet.

Of course, with Shelby’s allergy & my vegetarianism, we usually end up cooking at least 2 or 3 versions of every meal. We’ve done it so often that it’s really not a big deal to us anymore, though.

October 5, 2006 at 2:55 pm

If I could do the vegitarian thing it would be helpful since Erik is a vegitarian.

5. Leanne

October 5, 2006 at 3:02 pm

Turkey is really high in protein – but here are some alternatives:

lowfat yogurt
    lowfat cottage cheese
    cheese sticks
    peanut butter (all natural pb, just peanuts)
    eggbeaters
    baked/broiled salmon
    baked/broiled tilapia

That’s about all I can think of! Carbs and I are pretty tight, too. 😉

6. Susan

October 6, 2006 at 7:04 am

Try eating peanut butter. When my girls were little, they would not eat meat, so the doctor said to give them eggs and peanut butter to supplement the protien they missed in not eating meat.

It didn’t hurt them any. I don’t know if it helped but they were healthy kids for the most part.

7. blueyes

October 6, 2006 at 3:52 pm

Now I’ll readily eat chicken but I could live without ever touching red meat again. Giving up a hamburger once in a blue moon wouldn’t kill me.