My Good Guy Curse

On almost every show I watch I end up loving the “good guy.” Most girls like the bad guy, the guy that the girl keeps turning to even though he breaks her heart. I like the guy that girl goes to so she can cry over the guy that hurt her.

This curse of mine started I think when I started watching My So-Called Life and I wanted Claire with Brian, not Jordan. I wanted her with the geeky guy who hopelessly loved her from afar and who she only saw only as a friend. Do you remember that letter he wrote her? Heartbreaking!!

There was also Dawson (although many don’t see him as the underdog) but he certainly didn’t get the girl in the end. The most torturous was Noel because I don’t think any character on tv ever loved someone so much and get so little in return. I loved Noel even if Felicity didn’t.

Now there is McVet (also known as Finn) who quite honestly doesn’t stand a chance with Meredith. I’d like to pretend he has a chance but I know better now. If I were Meredith I would go with Finn because he’s gorgous, sweet and he hasn’t had a doubt about her from the beginning, unlike McDreamy :rolleyes: I liked Derek in the beginning. I still had faith in him when he chose his wife over Meredith. I lost all faith in him when he started jerking her around and even had the balls to imply she was a whore.

At the very least I hope Meredith makes him pay and beg for what he wants. I hope she waits until he really leaves his wife and files for divorce. I hope she takes care of herself before anyone else, for once.

And if she doesn’t want Finn…I’ll take him 😉

1. Maureen

September 26, 2006 at 11:28 am

Jim goes to a guy-dominated message board. There’s a prevailing belief, there, that girls aren’t attracted to ‘nice guys’, that they like guys who are awful to them.

I keep trying to explain that *stupid girls with low self esteem* might be attracted to guys who are bad to them, but that *smart, confident girls* like nice guys.

Then, I usually ask them why they are attracted to stupid girls with low self esteem :-p

September 26, 2006 at 12:17 pm

Good one Maureen!

I’ve almost always liked the good guys…occasionally I’ve liked the bad guy and I was probably going through a bad time when I was.

3. Meagan

September 26, 2006 at 12:48 pm

I completely agree with you about Noel…as for Dawson & Brian..must say I sided with Pacey and Jordan…now with McVet vs. McDreamy, that’s a tough one because if she had common sense she would stay with Finn b/c he has never wronged her and he genuinely cares…but you can’t change your heart, no matter how sleazy the guy is that your heart is after…I mean he never told her he was married, told her she was a whore, then when she finds someone who makes her happy then he wants her back and tells her he loves her…men suck!

September 26, 2006 at 1:08 pm

Hi Meagan :wave: – Well if she doesn’t really have feelings for Finn and obviously Derek is a bad choice then she needs to just be by herself for a while. I think she needs to explore everything that happened with her father. Often when women have major issues with guys it’s because they have hurt feelings regarding their father :dunno:

5. Chris

September 26, 2006 at 1:55 pm

I never really liked Dawson because he always seemed to needy in his love for her. Pacey was much cooler and more aloof but still Mr Romantic.

However, I do agree with you about siding with the underdog… depending on whether he’s cute or not!

September 26, 2006 at 1:58 pm

Chris – I think I just got hooked on the “best friends” thing from the beginning of DC and couldn’t let go of it. If they’d had the Pacey thing from the beginning I might have gone for him…he was cuter.

The cute factor is VERY important :giggle:

7. blueyes

September 26, 2006 at 2:31 pm

Never saw the first 2 shows but I think the vet might stick around for a little while as it’s an interesting triangle going on. I was a bit ticked off at the premiere though because it didn’t really give me any new information. I could’ve watched the seasona premiere of CSI and found out how Grissam and Sidel got together.

September 26, 2006 at 2:41 pm

Yeah I think I might go with CSI on thursdays now and just dvr GA.

9. jane

September 26, 2006 at 7:10 pm

I’ve found myself doing that so many times & you’re right, it usually doesn’t work out that way.

10. Dorothy

September 28, 2006 at 2:42 pm

My facination with the good guy started with Ducky from Pretty in Pink. How cute was he?

September 28, 2006 at 3:26 pm