This Journalist Thing

I’m trying to decide right now if it’s something I really want to continue with. I’d hate to give it up and regret it because it may be my last chance but I just don’t think what I’m doing now is my thing.

The last article came together ok but mainly because I got some help from another reporter that was at the meeting. I may have put all the pieces together but she gave me the facts.

Last night I got there at 6:30 only to find out it didn’t start until 7:30 and it was a public hearing so a bunch of people were there to argue some construction going on.

No other reporters showed up this time, which I didn’t really understand. I was there from 6:30-9:45 and was totally drained when I came home. I was given the green light on recording the meeting, I just hope I can hear it better this time since I had to keep it next to me and couldn’t put it on the table.

It’s just, the meetings go so fast and I can’t write as fast as they go on and keep missing details. It’s unbelievably frustrating and today I’m so tired I can barely keep my head up. I got to bed around 11pm probably and I get up at 5:30 am.

I’m going to do the best I can do on this article and decide from there, I just don’t know :dunno:

1. Maureen

September 12, 2006 at 10:01 am

It’s got to be hard doing it on a part-time basis, I would think. It would probably be easier if you had more time to prepare, find out what the agenda would be beforehand & study up on the issues being discussed.

Maybe, though, if you muddle through this, it will be a great challenge, it will help you grow, and it will pay some ‘dues’ so that you can get better gigs for the paper in the future.

September 12, 2006 at 10:02 am

Maureen – Yeah I’ve considered all that…I don’t know.

3. Miss Britt

September 12, 2006 at 12:33 pm

Thank you very much for the space this week!!

Sorry you’re at one of those “crossroads, which way do I go” spots. Sometimes you’re just “in the groove” with life and work, and sometimes, you’re just NOT – and it stinks.

September 12, 2006 at 12:36 pm

Miss Britt – Hey :wave: Well I must say I recognized you from elsewhere :cheesy: I hope you enjoy your stay.

I feel I’m always at a crossroads…I’d love to have like 6 months where things just felt good where they were.

5. Gary

September 12, 2006 at 7:21 pm

I think you could do it in a way that isn’t so stressful. Just ask youreself what you would enjoy knowing if someone else was there and telling you about it. Don’t try to be a perfectionist about it. Just my opinion.

September 12, 2006 at 7:25 pm

It’s not so much a matter of the facts or what to write it’s about gathering the information. I’m sitting here listening (or trying to listen) to the tape and they are talking so fast I have to keep rewinding. This is due tomorrow at noon and this is the first chance I had to work on it. This is just not my thing…I feel I am a writer but I am not a journalist and now I definitely know it.

7. Tara

September 12, 2006 at 10:35 pm

I wouldn’t let covering meetings decide if you’re a journalist or not. Meetings suck. But there are tons of jobs in journalism that don’t. I write features all the time and that’s actually fun. FUN! Meeting stories are the bottom of the barrel, a place to cut your teeth. Are you going to let this get the best of you? GRRRRRR, GRRRRL. YOU CAN DO IT! 🙂

RAH!

8. Kentucky Girl

September 13, 2006 at 4:54 am

Gotta agree with tjl, meetings suck to cover…but eventually, you’ll be able to move up. How soon after does the article have to be in? Can you get the minutes (which should be public record unless it’s a closed session) and write up your article when you get them? It makes it infinitely easier to cover if you get the “official” minutes and fill in with other things that don’t make it into the minutes…the feelings in the room, the crowd reactions, etc. You’ll do fine…it’s just new right now. Once you get the hang of it, you’ll be an old pro. :dance:

September 13, 2006 at 8:59 am

I already emailed the editor that this wasn’t a good time for me…I’m exhausted when I get home as it is. The only time I have to work on the article is after work on Tuesdays and that’s tough. I don’t have time to contact people or ask others questions. If I had more time I think I could pull it together.

I still think I’m a writer…I’m just not good at the gathering of information like this.