Generation Gap

Both of the women I work closely with are at least 30 years older than me and with one of the women it seems to be a problem sometimes. For as long as I can remember this “generation gap” has caused personality conflicts in my life.

I started to notice that whenever I write this woman an email she never responds to it. If I ask her if she can do something or if she finished something it will miraculously get done within the next hour. Is it too much to just pop me an email telling me the status?

I found out she “doesn’t respond to emails” because she “feels we should communicate like a community” or something :dunno: I realize that I’m only 2 cubicles away from her but sometimes I’m in the middle of something and it’s just easier for me to email than go “have a talk” with someone.

If you are older can you tell me what it is about my generation (I’m 28) that drives you crazy? Erik says there is something about me that seems to intimidate people. Me?? Intimidate?? He says I have this anti-authoritarian way about me and it might rub some people the wrong way.

I can’t tell you how many women of older generations I’ve significantly pissed off in my life, it’s starting to make me wonder.

————-

If this is too boring for you maybe you should check out this chick.

1. Janet

August 25, 2006 at 10:10 am

I dont think it’s a generational thing though more older folks do shy away from electronic communication. Instead I think it’s just a person to person thing.

Youve hit on a real pet peeve of mine though. How hard is it to return phone calls or emails? I just dont get it. Even at my busiest, I make time…even if it’s to say I have no time.

I’m a dying breed though, apparently:(

This is the 2nd time I typed a comment like this…I always forget the security code and it loses the whole comment:(

August 25, 2006 at 10:16 am

Janet – Sorry, I had to add the security thing to help with the spam.

Yeah, I think that is a BIG part of the gap. We communicate by email and they think email is impersonal and rude. I’m just not a person to person…um…person. I’m also kind of above her, in the fact I’ve been doing this for 1 1/2 years and she’s still learning and I don’t think she likes me asking her to do things. Who knows…maybe I’m totally off.

3. Sodapop

August 25, 2006 at 10:49 am

I don’t know that it has so much to do with generational gaps. Just plain old mean people, maybe. I do know that the older generation sometimes are intimidated by the younger in the work environment.

I work with a few ladies…OK, actually I supervise a few ladies who are anywhere from 15 to 30 years older than I am. I have the biggest problem with the one who is 30 years older than me.

She knows the email process, she knows the computer systems. She just plain doesn’t like that I’m her supervisor. Sucks to be her 😉

August 25, 2006 at 11:00 am

Sodapop – Yeah, I suppse if I had some young chick handing out tasks it might suck but it’s not my fault she hasn’t gotten a better position in the nearly 20 years at this company. She needs to get over it, she came to this department to help us.

5. Sodapop

August 25, 2006 at 11:08 am

I agree. She does need to get over it. Both ladies…the one you work with and the one I work with hahaha like I said, sucks to be them …
    and this is for both of them (btw, I love your smilies!!!!)

:flipa:

6. Sarah

August 25, 2006 at 1:21 pm

Well, thankfully I’ve only put in a year of cubicle time, but a lot of times I did feel the generation gap. Like when I started my paralegal job, everyone RAVED that they had never seen someone go through training that fast. I guess most of the others were… 35-50, I’d guess, and I was 23. But the computer system was so basic to learn. So basic I was like, “What are they even talking about? Seriously? This system?” But even the difference between me and someone 10 years older is evident. My boyfriend is 30 and I’m 25, and it really puts things in perspective that I lived online in college and he never used email till grad school… not that they didn’t have it, but it wasn’t widely used to communicate across campus. I think nothing of sending an email to someone nearby. Especially in an office, where you can print out a record if you have to (for CYA purposes).

August 25, 2006 at 1:24 pm

Sarah – I can understand, I’m 28 and my boyfriend is 38 although that kind of stuff isn’t as much an issue since he went to trade school so he never did the college thing.

8. JLynn

August 25, 2006 at 1:25 pm

Some older people just don’t like taking direction from someone younger than them. It’s not necessarily a generational thing, but more of a respect thing. The older person may have the mindset of “I’m older and wiser and you should respect me because of it!” but still, that’s not an excuse for not responding to an email!