Osbornes, Hogans and Now Simmons

Simmons Family

The celebrity family reality show has become a really popular genre and now we have Gene Simmons Family Jewels. I watched most of The Osbornes and enjoyed it for the most part. I think I just had really never seen a family like that before and thought it was cool. I’ve watched Hogan Knows Best a few times but it mostly annoys me.

I must say that both Erik and I really like Family Jewels and I think we were both a bit surprised by this. Considering I’ve never liked Gene Simmons or Kiss I actually found myself a little smitten by the sweet and a little silly Mr. Simmons.

You might wonder how this show is different than the other celebrity family shows but I think one of the biggest differences is that he and his wife Shannon Tweed are 22 years happily unmarried (as he puts it). How often do we see a celebrity relationship last that long?

I was charmed to see that Gene was not as macho and “rockstar” as he tries to come across in the public eye. His son tells the camera at one point how his father is “whipped” and that the reason his parents are still together is because his father does whatever his mom tells him to do.

Gene seems to genuinely adore the mother of his children, son and daughter. Gene at times embarrasses his family like any good father should. Gene does what his wife tells him to do. I look forward to watching more, like I need another show to watch :rolleyes:

1. Ethel

August 11, 2006 at 9:09 am

I caught part of an episode last night and I was really surprised that I liked it.

August 11, 2006 at 9:11 am

Ethel – Yeah I’ve always found Gene Simmons to be annoying but I liked it a lot :thumbsup:

3. Vixen

August 11, 2006 at 9:46 am

I enjoyed watching it too, but I don’t see how Shannon can stay with a man that has cheated on her as much as he has. He’s always bragged about the number of women he’s had sex with, while supposedly “happily unmarried” to the mother of his children. I just don’t get how she could put up with his cheating.

4. Gary

August 11, 2006 at 9:49 am

I haven’t ever heard anything bad about Gene Simmons. I think his stage act was just a clever performance.

August 11, 2006 at 9:50 am

Vixen – I actually saw them on tv once a while ago when he said something about still having sex with thousands of womena and she rolled her eyes and was like “he just says that, he doesn’t really”. I had a feeling he just says that for his image, there is NO way they’d be as ok as they are if he were really doing that and his children certainly would not be pleased.

August 11, 2006 at 9:50 am

Gary – Exactly, it’s all an act.