Emotional Needs of Cats

Do cats have emotional needs? I just read this great article Are cats solitary animals? on the debate whether caBack Offts just need companionship for the need of food and such or can they really love a human?

My feeling is that cats can have an emotional attachment to a human and my girl Aurora is a perfect example of it. Sure, she can be quite the bitch when I try to cuddle her and she sure loves me most when I have treats for her but I see that as only one side of her.

I especially noticed how much Aurora needs and loves us since we moved into our house. I’m sure she’s a little confused and scared as well being that it’s a very different kind of place than she’s used to. Every night she’s actually been sitting next to me on the sofa when I watch tv when before she always lounged on the floor or curled up in her kitty bed.

It’s obvious that she’s needing security and when I come home now she’s circling around me. She also has been sitting in the window above our bed a lot lately when she could potentially sit in any window.

Not to mention the recent escapes of Mr. Pilot and how she’s gone frantic worrying about him and running to her mommy for help :willynilly:

Of course, Pilot is the exception; he is the definition of a solitary animal. He only comes to us when he needs food and the occasional petting. Most of the time he is off somewhere (in the house hopefully) doing his own thing while the rest of us hang out together.

All cats have very different personalities, just like humans. Just like I’m sure many of you parents know…one of your kids might like to be around you all the time while the other kid wants to hang out in his room by himself.

What are your thoughts?

1. Blueyes

July 14, 2006 at 9:00 am

I actually think they animals do need companionship. My cat would immediately be at the door when I walked through it just so she could get some lovin’.

July 14, 2006 at 9:04 am

hterry – yeah they always greet me at the door.

3. Vixen

July 14, 2006 at 9:52 am

I really think it depends on the cat’s sex. Every female cat I’ve had has been a cuddler, and every male cat I’ve had, while they were young, were snubbers. LOL My current male cat, Tigger, was a snubber until he turned 6. Now at the ripe old age of 12, I can’t go anywhere in the house without him right behind me, including when I go to the bathroom!

4. Gemini

July 14, 2006 at 9:58 am

LOL that is funny Vixen… My experience has been the total opposite..

All of the Male cats I have had have been always lovey with me and any Female cat I have known have been Miss Independent and didn’t want to have anything to do with me…

July 14, 2006 at 10:02 am

I think when Aurora walks in the room we should play Miss Independent :cheesy:

6. Lysie

July 14, 2006 at 12:49 pm

Snoop likes to be the ‘lone wolf’. He’d adjust to having another cat around but he would not be pleased. He likes to be the center of attention.

7. Miss Ann

July 14, 2006 at 1:27 pm

Unlike dogs, cats will emotionally bond new people IF and only IF they remain in the same house. Cats don’t particulary care WHO is with them if they are kept in the same house…oddly enough.

They will do ok if moved and adopted by another person. it just takes longer…especially if it had kitty friends in it’s previous home.

What really bothers me are the ads I see for trying to get rid of an older cat…I saw one at the grocery for a NINE year old cat. That’s fraking ridiculous.

July 14, 2006 at 1:37 pm

9 years old? Poor kitty, that’s just not right. I hope I can have a kitty for 9 years or longer.