My Reasons

Obviously I have my reasons for currently not wanting children and I thought I’d start off by listing them out. Later on I will give more detailed explanations but I thought this would be a good place to start.

1. My body – what pregnancy and giving birth would do to it
2. My genes – my weight problems, emotional problems and even my breasts
3. My relationship – it’s a well known fact that having a child can as easily strengthen a relationship as ruin it
4. Money – I honestly don’t know how anyone affords it, we just barely get by
5. My boyfriend’s daughter – a big part of the money issue
6. Patience – I don’t have any, none
7. Stability – I don’t feel emotionally stable enough to give a child what they need
8. My childhood – I can’t imagine going through what my mom went through and I wasn’t even that bad
9. My space – I need more space than what seems to be a normal person
10. Traveling – I really want to travel more and that becomes harder with child

At another point I will discuss the reasons I have not fully labeled myself 100% childfree. Stay tuned :cheesy:

1. maureen

July 12, 2006 at 2:07 pm

I *could* give you *my* arguments for each of these. But, I am not living *your* life. 😀

You’ve got to decide what’s best for you, your relationship, your life. There are so very many things that we could do with our lives. So many choices. So many decisions to make. Some of them are trivial. Some are insanely life-changing and permanent.

Having kids was one of the most permanent, life-changing decisions that I made. I’m glad that I chose it, when I did. I’m glad that I got *me* together before I did it, though. I think that my kids benefit from having a mom who i confident that being a mom was what she wanted to do, who isn’t regretting it at all (well, most of the time 😀 )

July 12, 2006 at 2:10 pm

Because I’m young and still so unsure about a lot of things is why I haven’t written it off completely but I’m quite obviously not ready.

3. Krayzee Chickadee

July 13, 2006 at 7:51 am

Good for you for knowing what you want! I think you are being very responsible and thoughtful. None of mine were “planned”, and I think things might be different today had we really thought about it. (Like maybe would have waited a bit longer before starting….) Children are definitely a HUGE responsibility. Just when you think you are getting the hang of things, change happens, and you have to start all over again. Perhaps by the time I’m a grandma I’ll have it all figured out.

July 13, 2006 at 8:41 am

KC – Thank you for that, very honest.

5. Blueyes

July 14, 2006 at 9:07 am

Nobody really needs to know the reasons for not having children but yourself. I don’t want any either and it’s admirable for you to post why you do not.

July 14, 2006 at 9:09 am

hterry – I appreciate that but I am not trying to explain to anyone specifically but I’m just putting it out there. In case others are contemplating it or it helps them come to a decision. Not that I think I could make that big of an impression on someone’s decision but I think it’s an important topic to discuss since many don’t seem to fully understand it. Hey, it also helps me understand myself more.

7. Shamelessly Sassy

August 26, 2008 at 12:20 pm

Those are basically my reasons for not wanting another child. Well, except the whole patience thing, I’ve got that down. I can handle the one, but I feel like if I had two I would just be treading on thin ice. :chelle:

August 27, 2008 at 9:49 am

My husband has all the patience in the household, I suppose he makes up for me.